1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Googles replaces its 200 000 big server's Intel chips

Discussion in 'Google' started by Arnie, Mar 2, 2006.

1. SumitBahl

SumitBahl Reign of Chaos

Best Answers:
    I just hope that their new processors dont create any problems. Everythnig has been good so far with Intel, i am still wondering why they are planning to switch the processors now ?
    SEMrush

SumitBahl, Mar 5, 2006 IP
    SEMrush
  2. Manube

Manube Guest

Best Answers:
    I also got confused about this too, when I first read it I thaught the stock was up more than $38 in one day! which sounded a but far fetched, I later realised that it actually just means the stock whent UP by $1.40 to a total of $40.07.

From http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/13997713.htm
    Obviously google isnt buying 200,000 Opteron's, there buying them for NEW purchases.

Manube, Mar 6, 2006 IP
    NetMidWest likes this.
  3. dsm56

dsm56 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Im glad they, I really don't get why people still by intel, they are slower and more expensive...

Good old branding i guess...

dsm56, Mar 7, 2006 IP
  4. Mel

Mel Peon

Best Answers:
    At least one of the stated reasons for going to Opterons is that they consume less power and produce less heat. Google have mentioned that the power bill for running its computers is approaching the cost of the computers themselves, so this IMO is basically a cost based decision, but the fact that the Opterons have better performance can't hurt.

Mel, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  5. alchemy

alchemy Peon

Best Answers:
    alchemy, Mar 9, 2006 IP
  6. exponent

exponent Peon

Best Answers:
    My desktop: P4 @ 3.3ghz
    My Macbook: Core2Duo 2.0ghz

However... when it comes to a server, I'd rather run AMD. I do a lot of gaming on my desktop and I've tried virtually every AMD core in the past 8 years. While I love the Athlon 64, I also love my Intel IA-64. At the time, Intel had the better price, so I went with Intel. If I had to do over again, I might have chose AMD.

As far as my laptop is concerned, I'll always choose Intel over AMD until AMD figures out a way to keep my lap from roasting and my battery from draining in 45 minutes.

exponent, Jan 29, 2007 IP