1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google's recent hit .. to kill paid links or promote uniqueness?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Mong, Sep 5, 2007.

?

Recent hit of Google was due to

1. Killing paid links promotion

30 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. Lack of required uniqueness in contents

15 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. Google is damn EVIL. Nothing else.

38 vote(s)
    45.8%
  1. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    Excuse me? What kind of threat are you trying to make here to me?

Lexiseek, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  2. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:

Just requesting you not to get personal in your attacks.

While - you have the right to attack the views I express- its not a dignified thing to personally compare me with animals.

I am also a very good player of getting personal. So don't force me to get personal.

jhnrang, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Please read my post again. I did not say "you're dumb". I said "that's dumb", i.e., your attempt to redefine a word for your own purposes.

I hate Webmasterworld and I haven't read that thread but so what? I've already said that this myth about sites with Google sitelinks defining those sites as authority sites is something that sprouted on webmaster forums and got passed around with never any evidence that it was true (and plenty of evidence suggesting that it's not true). I don't care if it's WMW or a hundred other forums. Anyone who's been around webmaster forums for even a little while knows the amount of speculation, misinformation, and superstition that gets picked up and then spreads like wild fire from one forum to another. That's not evidence of anything except hearsay - and ill-informed hearsay to boot.

Yes. And? That proves what?

Bullshit. They may be "special" in a sense - that's why Google highlights them with sitelinks. That's not in dispute here. What's in dispute is your claim - based solely on stuff you've heard somewhere on this or another forum - that a site with sitelinks is an authority site.

So... I'm still waiting for evidence to back up this ridiculous claim. Clearly, you don't have any. Neither does anyone else.

minstrel, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  4. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. NO problem.:D

Whether you like it or not ( I am not even a member there:p) - Google only recognizes two forums it reads regularly -- and it is one of them --thats what it matters.

If you read maldives post --here is a screenshot I put up to support the theory of sites with authority like score & hub like score mentioned none other than by GoogleGuy.
    http://www.imagehosting.com/show.php/1108997_Authorityscore.JPG.html

Webmasters took that word by GoogleGuy and started terming sites with sitelinks as authority sites (that Matt says special sites) . They directly asked clarification from GoogleGuy who neither denied nor endorsed.

If you can accept sites with sitelinks are special --what is the problem if I call them authority sites? maldives here posted how an authority like score can be achieved which goes perfectly with GoogleGuy's views. I call them authority because they have achieved authority like score by getting/buying votes from majority sites in their own niche.

For example -- Alive/Aviva/info.vilesilencer/directorycritic/phpld/esyndicat etc. all have those sitelinks.

It is easy to understand why they have them. While Alive and Aviva is listed on almost every directory online (except that skeleton) - the other 4 sites got links because they are supposed to get them by virtue of their nature.

It means most sites in their field are linking to them --thus making them special in their niche -- hence authority.

Will you be happy if I call them Special sites/special directories instead of authority sites/authority directories?:p I have no problem -either way-

OK-- No Authority sites--- but SPECIiAL SITES -- PEACE?:p

Addition: I found an easy solution to it -- Matt Cutts was around somewhile back on DP and answered few questions. Maybe we should ask a clarification from him!

jhnrang, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  5. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    And I gave you all an example of why this is BULLSHIT - (with links and all)

Yet you all ignored it (apart from some red rep lol)

I ask again - HOW can a so called AUTHORITY site not even rank for a unique 2 sentance lift from their own (indexed) blog post :rolleyes:

Wealdie, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  6. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I answered you twice to this question

jhnrang, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  7. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    No - I have no DIRECT answer to my posted Example - just more Smoke and Mirrors

Wealdie, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  8. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems to me that the only people complaining are directory owners.

Some blogs and directories, proxy sites, and made for Adsense sites have really lowered the quality of the Google search results, but you could say that that's Google's own fault, because alot of this crap are Blogger blogs using Adsense.

I'm seeing good improvements on my rankings, but then I am spending alot of time [and money] on getting unique, information content written which has helped

I agree with blogmaster - it was only a matter of time before the likes of TLA got stung.

DarrenC, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  9. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My jaw just dropped ... :eek:

malcolm1, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    You mean Matt Cutts, not Google. And he reads more than two forums. And he posted here at DigitalPoint today. So?

And why would he? But he has commented on sites listed with sitelinks and what that means - nothing to do with authority sites. Beyond that, in this thread alone are sites listed in Google with sitelinks that clearly are not authority sites.

This really isn't a mystery. I don't know why it seems to be for you.

Because - and sweet Jesus, please let this be for the last time - the term has a meaning already and, as I said above, inventing your own definitions for existing terms is dumb.

1. Quoting maldives is not evidence.
    2. They are NOT consistent with Googleguy's vi8ews.
    3. Yeah, as if Google defines an authority site as one that buys links... pullease... :rolleyes:

No. "Special" because they have a lot of links to internal pages. That doesn't make them authority sites. That just gives them a lot of links to internal pages.

And how they got those links is now causing them some grief. Note the comments in this article from Biz-Dir owner, David Eaves:

Is Google Hitting Directory Links?

minstrel, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  11. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Who is Matt Cutts? I don't know him:p

By official recognition I mean official recognition in the form of official endorsement of what they are reading (What We're Reading - on the right side-bar) around the SEO/SEM & webmaster world. I know Matt and other Googlers hang around the net all the time and monitor the pulse of the online world.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/

Is this Official? I believe so -- and here they say -they only read two (3 if one takes seroundtable into account)

Dave is an impatient man - I must say it--
    Not only is his directory back to serps and roaring ( please check here)

By last count he had only around 500 indexed pages- and now I see his directory is having 862 indexed pages on my DC. So it was hasty of him to panic.:(

IMHO- the best logical explaination for this is - sites were being reported by over-jealous competitors and Google is manually revewing them. There are many more directories that have been restored to their places.

I suspect- the one which are having SERPs now are the next.:eek:

Anyway-- intentionally ( sorry Dave kidding) -- or un-intentionally - Dave had a great viral marketing for his site what with so much exposure.:p

jhnrang, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  12. stock_post

stock_post Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    if one Agree or Disagree who cares -- G is the god of www.

And for now we just need to follow the rules as they change.

stock_post, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Will you just give it up? Where on that page does it even mention 2 (or 3) blogs? And whatever it says, since Cutts just posted here at DP today, unless it mentions DP as one of them, it's obviously wrong.

And back to the original debate, you're obviously wrong too. So just let it be and stop making yourself look foolish with irrelevant qualifications and idiosyncratic "definitions".

minstrel, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  14. EI-SD

EI-SD Guest

Best Answers:
    My SERPs change on a DAILY basis. I also noticed some paid directories have dropped off the listings.

EI-SD, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  15. Sean-Pollock

Sean-Pollock Peon

Best Answers:
    I vote.... two...

Sean-Pollock, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  16. godmode

godmode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Boycotting google with google adsense on the page? :D

by the way my vote is no.1 and i totally agree with blogmaster!

godmode, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  17. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to add hot water to the arguement I cannot think of any reason why Google would treat any directory as an authority site, other than maybe Yahoo and DMOZ.

99.9% of these directories are just glorified link farms.

DarrenC, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  18. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    A lot have people have burnt their fingers in what is no more than a hic-cough for Google and the blame for this must be laid squarely at the door of the greedy, unscrupulous and dishonest directory master who we have allowed to run wild on this and other forums, for far too long. So if you have taken a knock and if you are hurting start with yourself.
    You have a choice to make. You either challenge this sort of deliberate misrepresentation and tell pricks like this to take a hike or we all sit back and wait for the next wave to come rollng in.

workshop, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I'd say that pretty much sums it up.

minstrel, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  20. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PEACE:p

There is no end to the debate. In fact, thats why debates are.
    I keep faith in what I believe in, you guys do what you believe in- no body is going to forcefully change anyone unless its Google itself.:cool:

Time to go to office and forget all about online for awhile:D

Besides people should open their eyes other than Yahoo Directory and DMOZ which are becoming links firms with full of spammy sites.

On the other hand BOTW is great and so is business.com that was recently sold for around $350 million.I have no shame if I can make a future $10 million worth link-firm in 3 yrs time.

jhnrang, Sep 6, 2007 IP