1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google's new landing page algorithm causing $10 minimum bids on thousands of sites!

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by heybert00, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Blackbeard

Blackbeard Active Member

Best Answers:
    Frankly Google's inability to be transparent is annoying at best and offensive at worst. Why doesn't Google just tell us what they are looking for. Give us legitimate guidelines to create our ads around. At the same time Google should be considering the ability for landing pages to convert. As advertisers we aren't advertising Wikipedia for crying out loud. We don't want to explain every nuance of our product if we don't have to. Google wouldn't be able to advertise well in their own system because they have almost 0% content to speak of. If they tried to advertise their own main search page according to their own rules their cost per click would be outrageous. Google doesn't try to explain a search engine, they just try to get people to use it. They want a high conversion.

Why should our advertising style be up to Google? Shouldn't the AdWords market ant the "invisible hand" of economics take care of things instead of the "visible hand" of Google Engineers? If an advertiser has a page that doesn't convert well, they don't make money and so by virtue that Advertisers are in business to make a profit, that should be enough incentive for Advertisers to have good landing pages.

Also, is it me or does this seem like a huge precursor to Google rolling out their CPA ad network? Since many of the landing pages getting hurt are for CPA related landing pages right? What better way to help the forthcoming Google CPA advertising network than to harm all the people using non Google CPA networks. PPC advertisers won't get their conversions, which in turn makes the other advertisers want to work directly with Google. Google takes the $1-$5 per sale that they were making from AdWords ads and they start making $10-$15 per sale. All of a sudden their revenues double or triple for a large % of their AdWords revenue.

Do no evil my A$$.

Blackbeard, Jul 28, 2006 IP
    Art and Option6 like this.
  2. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Mark my words here. Google will start rolling out affiliate shemes a lot sooner than many think. IMO Google will move to become affiliates of their advertisers, and then the law suits will start flying around as other affiliates claim unfair competition due to Google pages ranking higher in the organics, and Google not paying anything to advertise.

Hopefully then the google bubble will burst, and we can get back to having some competition in search again.

Old Welsh Guy, Jul 28, 2006 IP
  3. whitespider

whitespider Peon

Best Answers:
    aeiouy

You make some very good arguments......but

you CANNOT get away from the fact that if there were no SELLERS there be no Adwords and likewise no Adsense too

whitespider, Jul 29, 2006 IP
  4. MrCritic

MrCritic Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm. Not bad. I like your thinking.

MrCritic, Jul 29, 2006 IP
  5. Uban

Uban Peon

Best Answers:
    Cost Per Acquisition? Please explain as I have been negatively impacted and my account is using their conversion tracking and shows STRONG and steady conversion rates for the last year.

Uban, Jul 29, 2006 IP
  6. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Uban, are you asking for explaination of CPA or for how this is meant to alude to it?

Old Welsh Guy, Jul 29, 2006 IP
  7. Uban

Uban Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, sort of yes. I always new of CPA to mean your cost per acquisition. If I'm right, I do still want to know hat this is meant to alude to it.

Uban, Jul 29, 2006 IP
  8. iideas

iideas Peon

Best Answers:
    I came here looking for answers but I can see that everyone is in the same boat.

I have a number of campaigns for a range of different products and services.

Like others my cost has gone from 10 cents to $10

I wanted to get some idea here of why they determined my sites to be "poor quality"

eg.

My add for an ebook I promote and run an affilaite program for:

Filipina 101 ebook $29.99
    A guide book on how to find and
    to meet the Filipina of your Dreams
    www.filipina101.com

The surfer finds exactly what is described above

http://www.filipina101.com

(just advised "Live links and signatures are not available to you yet" - ok so if you want to look you are going to have to cut'n'paste)

What I really pisses me off is that there are so many other advertisers still using the same terms I was which have pages with very little content and lots of Spam such as 50% adsense. I am sure they are not paything the $10 ppc

If anyone can give me an idea why their algo picked this page for example I would be most interested. I have had the manual review already - no change.

iideas, Jul 29, 2006 IP
  9. manateemedia

manateemedia Peon

Best Answers:
    If you hate America so much, I think perhaps you should leave. What's keeping you here?

Excuses excuses...if you REALLY wanted to leave the best country in the world (U.S.A.) you would be long gone. The reality is, you are staying because deep down inside, you know there is no better place on earth to live.

manateemedia, Jul 29, 2006 IP
  10. whitespider

whitespider Peon

Best Answers:
    wow lets keep it real guys - and on disucssion if we can

iideas - I think I know the answer to your problem here.

The fact that you are an affiliate probably means there are other websites out there offering the same product. If just ONE of these starts adevrtising using Adwords then Google will start to bid you off against each other as it will only show ONE ad per product per keyword even if it is from TWO different people.

Google is trying to ensure that the visitor gets choice - i.e if I searched for "find a filipina" and then clicked on (say) 3 adwords ads, that I am not getting the same product from each Ad.

As I have said earlier in this thread I got hiked up but put back on appeal, so I as pretty angry with them. However, I DO however think they are correct to do this where affiliate schemes are involved. There is nothning worse that makeing a "search" (in this case via adwords) only to find that you are getting exactly the same thing each time you click.

whitespider, Jul 30, 2006 IP
  11. heybert00

heybert00 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have noticed that some of the old MFA sites are starting to pop back up again in G's paid search results.

Here is what I see at www.best8sites.org

They have changed from .com to .org

They have added links to a privacy policy,contact,and sitemap page

and the most interesting thing I see is that they have added an rss feed to the page with content but no hyperlinks to the content.

If you check alexa, you can see that they are getting huge traffic again and that they have moved into the top 3000 websites and have big reach. It did not take them long to find a way to beat the system

heybert00, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  12. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good golly Molly! How do they do that? Well, I guess I will have to wait for the e-book for $79.95 once they can squeeze no more.

Dang - now that you mention it - I am seeing new "advertisers" showing up in my adsense ads (I am already blocking 1000 domains) - must be a massive "re-branding" of all the old sites as you pointed out.

Phynder, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  13. isurf23

isurf23 Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't noticed a big difference in my traffic either.

isurf23, Sep 12, 2006 IP
  14. danephillips

danephillips Peon

Best Answers:
    My site isn't a scrapers and being hit by this..

danephillips, Jan 5, 2007 IP
  15. beejeebers

beejeebers Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow this is an old thread...

danephillips, you got slapped by adwords. Get a new domain and make a real site and you'll be back to normal.

beejeebers, Jan 5, 2007 IP
  16. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    GuyFromChicago, Jan 8, 2007 IP
  17. beejeebers

beejeebers Peon

Best Answers:
    You can take that route and wait for 4 - 6 weeks for them to re-adjust your numbers or you can take my route and have it back up and running instantly.

Up to you.

beejeebers, Jan 8, 2007 IP
  18. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never seen an entire domain "penalized" by AdWords. A single page, yes. An entire domain, no. Churning out new domain after new domain (with the same content) will most likely lead to problems in organic search as well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - setting up a new domain/site everytime you have a poor quality score is a not a good strategy for success. If you can't get a decent quality score on domain A odds are you won't be able to get one on domain B either. Setting up a new domain is a band aid. Learning how to build a decent landing page is a much better long term strategy IMO.

GuyFromChicago, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  19. danephillips

danephillips Peon

Best Answers:
    Crappy site are gone but adwords sucks more then ever.

It's moving towards only for the big business ads.

Every time I try to create a new adowrds account I get 10.00 min
    cost ..... Emailing google gets me nothing but crap reply.:(

danephillips, Jan 28, 2007 IP
  20. KA1

KA1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Are the crappy sites gone? I think they have decreased, but I still see a few. What has everyone else noticed?

KA1, Jan 28, 2007 IP