1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google's indexing patterns -- odd or not?

Discussion in 'Google' started by jackburton, Mar 10, 2005.

I just changed some things on my site to make the pages more SEO friendly (my first stab at it). And I've noticed that SOME of my sites are indexed on the 9th, but some AREN'T. Which is weird, because I thought Google indexes the WHOLE site at the same time. No?

jackburton, Mar 10, 2005 IP
  2. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    No. A spider will visit and send back information, for example, links, and also send back directions so that at a later date another spider with the same name but a different purpose, will return to your site and index the information it was directed to by the first spider.

Spider #2 will also send back further information which may cause a third spider which is designed to gather different information than the first two.

Spidering is a step by step process. One may gather links within the site, another may gather text and another may gather links pointing out.

mcfox, Mar 10, 2005 IP
  3. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    its important to have a good sitemap if you want to get as much as possible indexed at the same time

david_sakh, Mar 10, 2005 IP
  4. VegasMack

VegasMack Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, and split your sitemap into more than one page if it has over 100 page links.

~VegasMack

VegasMack, Mar 10, 2005 IP
  5. jackburton

jackburton Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a lot of pages, and they're all linked to four major pages. Since all four major pages have been indexed already (all on the 9th, a day after I updated the pages), it shouldn't be long before the rest of the pages gets indexed, right? Since my major pages are essentially archives with links to my other pages, I mean.

jackburton, Mar 10, 2005 IP
  6. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, google has several different types of spiders, some deep crawl and some don't, this is nothing unusual.

MattUK, Mar 11, 2005 IP
  7. 2003m2003

2003m2003 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Probably it also depend on number of inbound links you have and pagerank, If you can get few inbound links to these 4 deep pages, may help.

2003m2003, Mar 11, 2005 IP
  8. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    If you're interested in the processes involved in spidering then read this article about 'Mercator'. Not the exact same as Google's technoogy but the fundamentals must be the same:

http://research.compaq.com/SRC/mercator/papers/www/paper.html

McFox's post is pretty spot on indeed.

Just because those 4 pages are indexed doesn't mean the rest will follow suit shortly.

T0PS3O, Mar 11, 2005 IP
  9. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have also noticed that just because a new page on my site has been indexed, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the entire text (600 -900 words) has been completely analyzed.

The page may be built for 3 for 4 keyphrases, and may show up for the most prominent phrase early on. But, it may take 2 or 3 months before it becomes visible for the other phrases which are typically in the middle or bottom of the page.

longcall911, Mar 11, 2005 IP