1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google's First Non-free Acquisition

Discussion in 'Google' started by frankcow, Mar 14, 2006.

Google announced today the acquisition of @Last, and their sketchup 3D software. To my surprise however, this one will cost users like $500 (well, you do get to use for 8 hours for free...)

here's the announcement:
    http://www.sketchup.com/index.php?id=1439

Of course my next question is: how does this fit into the big picture? You know, the whole world domination thing?

frankcow, Mar 14, 2006 IP
    Crazy_Rob likes this.
  2. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It fits in like this:

When google decides to make your site tank in the rankings, it sends you a 3-d picture of you going to the unemployment office :p

lorien1973, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  3. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    This is quite interesting. Google also recently bought an online office program called Writely. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why they did that... they are planning on allowing people to have a "virtual office" courtesy of Google.

Now this Sketchup thing also has very intersting possibilities. I can see real estate developers using it to design buildings for their developments and then insert that into Google Earth. That way they can show prospective customers a VR expo of their plans using Google earth. Pretty cool.

"Hey, go to 34" 65 N, 21" 44 W and check out our new seaside condo development" :)

Crusader, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  4. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Google is on a "spend it while u got it" binge, and just throwing money at anything to see if it sticks. I'm glad I'm not an investor.

dazzlindonna, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  5. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL that is just wrong in so many ways, but funny as hell.

TheNetCode, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  6. dsm56

dsm56 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Now that would be amazing! In fact the possibilites are endless...
    (especially if google earth turns into google earth 3d, with actual altitudes too)

dsm56, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  7. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    My hopes are for them to open their payment gateway soon so that PayPal is running scared for once and actually trying to please their customers.

TheNetCode, Mar 14, 2006 IP