1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Googlebot in AWstats vs. Googlebot in sitemaps?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by solid7, Aug 21, 2006.

OK, someone PLEASE explain this to me. When I first put my site up, it was getting spidered like crazy. I got like 350+ hits per month, with no real effort. Probably, this was due to the fact that it was a new site, XHTML compliant, and was pinging with every new page posted. After the initial frenzy, I noticed that the Googlebot visits dropped off. Again, no problem, one would expect this. However, now, I've just added a sitemap, and my Googlebot visits are frequent again - about 20 per day. However, when I look in my sitemaps account, I see this message:

The date is totally inconsistent with what I'm seeing in my stats.

Can someone please explain what the difference in these Googlebot visits is?

Thank you.

solid7, Aug 21, 2006 IP
  2. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. Someone may be disguising themselves as GoogleBot in user agent.
    2. There may pass some time before all Google datacenters with all their GoogleBots update their data into Google sitemaps

websitetools, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  3. solid7

solid7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is 7 days enough?

My last recorded crawl was on the 15th. The Googlebot has been to my site over 50 times since then, and a whole bunch of pages got indexed. Am I not understanding what is a "Crawl" and what is just a "visit"?

No, it's not a fake referrer - the Googlebot traffic coincides precisely with the creation of the sitemap.

solid7, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  4. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Peon

Best Answers:
    In his first video (July 31), Matt Cutts (Google) said that the "pieces of data" within sitemaps are updated at different times and different frequencies. Some parts are updated on a daily basis, for others it can take weeks.

I trust AWStats.:)

Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  5. Vanessa Fox

Vanessa Fox Peon

Best Answers:
    The last crawl date is specifically referring to the home page. It sounds like may need to do a better job of making that clear. (At the moment, we only show you the most recent crawl date of other pages in your site if we had trouble crawling them -- on the crawl errors page).

Vanessa Fox, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  6. Wiley

Wiley Peon

Best Answers:
    It is only the HOME page that they are refering to. Also right now many features have stopped working like "Prefered Domain" and "Crawl Stats".

Vanessa what would really help is to have an area on your home page telling us what you are working on so we don't find our selves trying to fix things like "Prefered Domain" when Google is hopefully making it better. Can be very frustrating trying to set the "Prefered Domain" option again and then find out it is not even working and not knowing if this is something we are going to have to set or not in the future.

Wiley, Aug 23, 2006 IP