1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Googlebot Hits

Discussion in 'Google' started by mechi3, Oct 19, 2023.

Why is googlebot constantly visiting my home page but it isn't crawling through any other part of my site? For over over a month now my home page has been getting hits every day from googlebot, at first it was over 20 hits a day now it's down to around 6-8 per day. I don't understand why is it doing that when it isn't crawling my site? There haven't been any changes to my home page. I did my some slight changes after I noticed the googlebot hits, thinking that it may crawl other parts of my site or maybe give my site a boost in searches but nope, nothing.

mechi3, Oct 19, 2023 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Is your homepage low quality?
    generic articles?
    are the internal links usable for the bot?
    do you have a sitemap?
    Any useful feedback at hxxps://search.google.com/ ?

sarahk, Oct 19, 2023 IP
  3. mechi3

mechi3 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know if it's low quality, it has no articles but does contain text, it's my art site, the internal links go to different pages for my art e.g. watercolor pet portraits, acrylic pet portraits, bird art, etc. A couple of my pages show in google searches and a few images in google images, but that's it. I don't have sitemap, it is not a large site.

mechi3, Oct 19, 2023 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Check out Google Console for feedback and it's probably worth adding structured data to the top of the page. Art sites have challenges because they're graphic-heavy and text lite.

I have a site that's only 11 pages and we've doubled our traffic with advertising, changing images to webp, and adding structured data. The advertising is probably doing most of the work but the feedback in Google Console is now good so that will help our Google ads score which means our ads get shown more for less $.

sarahk, Oct 19, 2023 IP
  5. mechi3

mechi3 Peon

Best Answers:
    What is structured data?

mechi3, Oct 19, 2023 IP
  6. seomanualsubmission

seomanualsubmission Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Structured data refers to a specific way of organizing and formatting data on web pages so that search engines and other web services can easily understand and extract information. It is a method of providing additional context and meaning to the content on a webpage. Structured data is typically presented in a machine-readable format, such as JSON-LD, Microdata, or RDFa, and is embedded in the HTML of a webpage.
    Structured data helps search engines and other online platforms to better comprehend the content of a webpage and present it in a more structured and meaningful way in search results and other features like rich snippets, knowledge panels, and voice search results.

seomanualsubmission, Oct 19, 2023 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's basically machine-readable. I use the JSON version and it's basically a repetition of what's on the page - admitting that the bots aren't as smart as they've told us. For me that means I have my content in arrays and output it twice, once in JSON, and once in HTML - I do it that way so if I make edits I know that both versions are the same. If it was a bigger site I'd have a database and the content would come from that. You get natty little charts like this. For such a small site the addition of breadcrumbs is a bit silly but I thought I'd see if they'd be picked up and they are.

upload_2023-10-20_14-58-51.png

The console is going to tell you if there are any problems and you HAVE TO get those cleared.

sarahk, Oct 19, 2023 IP
  8. mechi3

mechi3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I don't know what JSON is or how to implement it in my site, I thought structured data might be something like proper HTML order, keywords, etc. Guess I have some learning to do.

mechi3, Oct 20, 2023 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    There's an html version but I don't like it. Is your site using WordPress or anything?

sarahk, Oct 20, 2023 IP
  10. mechi3

mechi3 Peon

Best Answers:
    No, my site is made from scratch, just HTML and CSS

mechi3, Oct 20, 2023 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    If you decide to give it a go there are guides online. It's not newbie friendly so feel free to come back with questions.

You haven't let us know what info you get from Google Console.

sarahk, Oct 21, 2023 IP
  12. mechi3

mechi3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I can't make much out of google console, it say 6 pages out of 32 are not indexed due to duplicate content or a redirect page. The only redirect page I have is an 404 error page and one of the pages that isn't indexed is the home page. I don't understand why and what is stranger, the other pages that are considered duplicate end in something like ?ver=pinterestUserSheilaCreates. I don't have a page like that although sometimes I noticed getting hits from it.

Other than that there isn't much info, probably because my site doesn't get enough traffic. I'm not that familiar with google console so I'll have to do some more poking around.

mechi3, Oct 23, 2023 IP
  13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    A sitemap will help tell Google what the real pages are. I haven't seen the redirect message so I'm not sure what extra info you can get from that.

sarahk, Oct 23, 2023 IP
  14. mechi3

mechi3 Peon

Best Answers:
    I took a closer look in google console and the home page with only the domain url is indexed but the url that includes /index.html that follows after the domain is not indexed because of duplicate content. Huh?? They are one and the same page so how come google see it as duplicate content?

And I still don't get why googlebot is coming to the home page several times a day.

mechi3, Oct 24, 2023 IP
  15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    it's the one and the same that might be the problem - www.abcdef.com/index.html is the same as abcdef.com/index.html and make sure you don't have an index.php floating around too!

sarahk, Oct 24, 2023 IP
  16. mechi3

mechi3 Peon

Best Answers:
    According to google both the index.html url and the domain url have the www prefix but index.html is not indexed because of "Duplicate without user-selected canonical". I don't get it, it's the same page, why does google think I need to add a canonical tag? I was thinking of adding a canonical with my site's domain url as the preferred page but that seems kind of ridiculous since it's the same webpage. I would post my site's url but not sure if that's allowed here.

mechi3, Oct 25, 2023 IP