1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Googlebot and Mediapartners

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by nadlay, Aug 6, 2004.

anthonycea will probably have a field day with this :rolleyes:

This came from today's log for a website that only entered the Google index 3 days ago. All pages on the site have Adsense. The log entry appeared only a few minutes after I uploaded a new page, and viewed it online to ensure it looked OK. So it had never previously called up any Adsense Ads.

The log entry was:-

Agent: Mediapartners-Google/2.1 (+http://www.googlebot.com/bot.html)

So does this mean that Google is indexing new pages the first time they call for Adsense?

Or am I reading too much into this?

nadlay, Aug 6, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You are correct... If there is an AdSense request, and the page is not in the Google index, Google will send a special bot (Mediapartners) to spider the page right away. This does *not* insert the page into the normal web search index though, it's only for AdSense (specifically pages that are not already in the index).

digitalpoint, Aug 6, 2004 IP
  3. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Quoting from What is Googlebot?:

The Google AdSense Googlebot

The Google AdSense bot is confusingly named and therefore causes frequent confusion as webmasters mistake it for Googlebot.

The Google AdSense bot crawls web pages which contain Google AdSense advertisements, in order to determine what advertisements are most relevant for that page.

The Google AdSense bots referrer tag looks like this:

Mediapartners-Google/2.1 (+http://www.googlebot.com/bot.html)

Being visited by the Google AdSense bot will not get you into Google's search engine index.

Quoting The Google AdSense FAQ:

Adding the Google AdSense ad code or WebSearch code to your site will not queue your pages for crawling by our main index bots. While our bot (Mediapartners-Google/2.1+) does crawl content pages for the purpose of targeting ads, this crawl is not associated with our main index crawl.

Will.Spencer, Aug 6, 2004 IP
  4. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    Shame, I thought I'd discovered a quick way of getting indexed.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait for the real Googlebot to visit.

nadlay, Aug 6, 2004 IP
  5. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, sorry nadlay, as Shawn points out, I see this all the time ... in fact, when I'm fiddling with pages, I try to have 'em fairly "close" to final BEFORE I put the Adsense on it, since once I go, Mediabot will come around fairly quickly and categorize it, so I want it to do so correctly.

hulkster, Aug 7, 2004 IP
  6. nightmare5liter

nightmare5liter Guest

Best Answers:
    I found this string in my log today only without the google url in the string. The strange thing is that although I signed up for adsense some time ago, I have not started running the ads yet and the website that was hit was not given during signup, only linked to from the website I signed up. This is the first time I've seen this.

nightmare5liter, May 13, 2005 IP
  7. masyk

masyk Peon

Best Answers:
    I had this bot before signing into Adsence actualy.

masyk, May 15, 2005 IP