1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google will now tell you how your keywords are ranking...

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by TheHoff, Mar 1, 2006.

This is the first time I've ever seen a search engine giving webmasters feedback on the average rank of their keywords...

[​IMG]

TheHoff, Mar 1, 2006 IP
    digitalpoint and onedollar like this.
  2. Elearn-uni

Elearn-uni Peon

Best Answers:
    Couldn't see the detail but if what you're saying is true, it would be really seriously useful. Post more detail.

Elearn-uni, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  3. Shadow

Shadow Peon

Best Answers:
    Finally a new feature for sitemaps. I stopped checking a while back since there wasn't anything interesting going on there ;)

Shadow, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  4. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    It is from Google Sitemaps-- it used to show you the most popular keywords used to reach your site. Now it does that plus show you the average rank of the keyword. Very cool!

TheHoff, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I also see a 3rd section on the Query Stats page which I think is new... "Top Searches From Mobile Devices"

digitalpoint, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  6. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Sweet, gotta go check it out. Looks like they've changed alot today.

mdvaldosta, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  7. Haichi

Haichi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I love goggle

Haichi, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  8. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I was using sitemaps for months with really bad results. I deem it worthless.

RectangleMan, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  9. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This has been there for quite some time now ...
    I thought you guys knew it .
    I submitted an article about this to goarticles also. ("Google shows visitor stats")

Anyway if you don't know then here's how it works :

Login to your sitemap account and click the site for which you want the information on .
    If the site is verified then google will automatically show you these stats.
    To verify simply click the "verify" link in the account next to the site and follow instructions.

There are basically two things in there , One is The searches for which your pages appeared and second is the searches for which your page was actually visited by the searcher.

The article I mentioned earlier is something like this :

-------------
    Google shows you visitor stats .

As strange it may sound but google is now showing you stats for your site .
    These include :

Terms for which your site shows in search results ,
    Terms for which people clicked and actually visited your site ,
    Number of times google visited your site ,
    The information google has about your site ,
    Number of pages it has indexed ,
    If you have a site map , then when was it last downloaded .
    Pages which google was not able to crawl ,
    Why google was not able to crawl .

How to see these stats ?
    Create a free google account . If you have a gmail account , you can use that email ID and password to login . Login at
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/login

Once you are there , you will be shown the sites which you have added in your account . If you have not added any sites yet , then click "ADD" and enter the URl of your site . To see stats you will have to verify that you are the site owner . Click the verify site link next to the URL . Google will askyou to upload a blank html file to your root directory . Then click verify button . If google finds that file in your root , then your site is verified .

Now you can see all the stats for that site of yours. Click the link of the site in your google account . The next page has links to the following .

Sitemap ,
    Crawl ,
    index,
    errors,

In addition there are also the terms listed for which your site is included in search results.
    To see information about your site you can choose the appropriate link . Clicking crawl will show you how many times google has crawled your site etc. If you want to get your site indexed faster , submit a sitemap from the same google account .
    Submitting a sitemap will help google crawl your site faster and get it indexed faster.

Keep checking your google account to see the terms for which your site is ranking in search results.
    Best of luck for your site.

Any reproduction of this article needs to have an html link pointing to http://www.ad4business.com
    ---------

Regards
    jeet

JEET, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  10. onedollar

onedollar SEO Consultant for Hire

Best Answers:
    I hadn't signed up for sitemaps yet but I think it's now time that I did.

onedollar, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  11. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Ummmmm ... how do folks interpret this "Top search queries are the queries that most often returned pages from your site"

I thought it would be those terms punched into Google most frequently that users SAW on their screens (versus clicked thru). This could be really powerful ... but at least looking at my data, it doesn't make much sense - i.e. komar is listed and while I'd like to think the shortened version of my name is pretty popular, there is NO way that should be #9 on the list based on the interpretation above.

BTW, I only see 20 listed in the various search query columns - any ideas how to get more?

hulkster, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  12. goodtimetribe

goodtimetribe Peon

Best Answers:
    I encourage you to take a look at the new details provided, and if you got ONE LINK in connection to a sitemap, it wasn't totally worthless :)

goodtimetribe, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  13. jontra_volta

jontra_volta Peon

Best Answers:
    well, it all seems pretty clear to me, it's like what you said: you got what users SAW on your right and what users CLICKED on your left. although i too get some strange occurances sometimes on the left, mostly search terms that don't return my site at all.
    btw, site from your signature is now at number one for term "komar", so i'm not sure if you were complaining about the place number 9 or being just happy about it?

i would also like to know how to see more than 20 queries, so if anyone knows more about this, please inform.

jontra_volta, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  14. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Something is screwy as the number of inbounds for "komar" averages less than 3 of day - lotsa of other terms have lots more traffic. Another one listed by SiteMaps is is "xle" - I happen to rank on the first page for that - total inbounds for the whole month of Feb/2006 - less than 40 (minumum threshold reported). I hightly doubt that is an often search term.

hulkster, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  15. bermudaviper

bermudaviper Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't get my head around the average ranking for keywords section, it gives me a figure for one of my keywords but when I search under it I can't find my site!

bermudaviper, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  16. UndergroundVelvet

UndergroundVelvet Guest

Best Answers:
    .. and now my first question:

I have just looked at a site that appears for a single searched-for-term only. Now, whilst I have one term on the left (top queries), I have a different one on the right (top clicks). How does that work then?
    Edit/Delete Message

UndergroundVelvet, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  17. UndergroundVelvet

UndergroundVelvet Guest

Best Answers:
    .. and now my first question:

I have just looked at a site that appears for a single searched-for-term only. Now, whilst I have one term on the left (top queries), I have a different one on the right (top clicks). How does that work then?

UndergroundVelvet, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  18. softplus

softplus Peon

Best Answers:
    Queries: search terms where your site showed up in the listing
    Clicks: search terms where your site showed up in the listing and a user clicked on your site

So you could be listed lots of times but only clicked on every now and then.

The data most likely comes from personalized Google search (which logs clicks to search entries), so not all searches will register there. Seeing this data in the sitemaps statistics seems to hint at it being used in the future for ranking (ie sites that used to rank very low for a term but were clicked on more often might start ranking higher since visitors apparently feel they are relevant).

softplus, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  19. Sarangan

Sarangan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    At this time there are many free web statistics scripts do the same process.. So.. ;)

Sarangan, Mar 18, 2006 IP