1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google WebSearch With AdSense

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by digitalpoint, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    :)

I thought it was winners as in people who win things. I was totally confused.

Weirfire, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  2. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry wier, not meant to confuse. I could have used the term losers, but that is a very negative term. :)

NewComputer, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes, for those that are wondering, the majority of the traffic is from the keyword tracker and keyword suggestion tools. In the case of the keyword tracker, it generates tons of repeat visitors, plus all the new users that signup that day. Forum traffic is also decent, but no where near the tool traffic.

digitalpoint, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  4. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Try doing a search for "longest car" on both of 'em. The #1 entry should be my page for the Longest Car - hey, I needed something to bring home the Biggest BBQ Grill ;-)

I've added some HTML special characters (makes for a funny/appropriate "text image" if you can see 'em) in the TITLE tag. If you do a Google Search, most of these show up in the listing (the wheels used to be there, but they must have added filtering for that) ... but if you do using WebSearch, it looks a bit different - I kinda wonder why that is ... and suggests something every-so-slightly different is being used for this.

Just thought I'd pass along this anomaly I happened to notice,
    alek

P.S. EDIT ADD: Here are some links so you can see this directly - Yahoo - MSN (these both show everything - notice both of 'em drop the trailing / - causing a redirect on the web server - grrrr!) - "regular" Google (loses the "wheels") - and I added a Search Bar to my Personal Web Page so punch "longest car" in there and you'll see even less.

hulkster, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  5. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Could it be that this search hits a different set of servers with a different sandbox?

Help Desk, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  6. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's a good feature for your users.

Unless you have tons o' traffic you won't make much $, but if it's a nice feature for your site users (I have some sites where it will eb very helpful) forget about the $ for a bit and put it in place :D

GuyFromChicago, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  7. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree GFC - exactly why I popped it there - even I can't find everything on www.komar.org ! BTW, I wonder if it makes sense to make a dedicated page - for example www.komar.org/search/ and then have a link on various pages to there - seems like an extra step that most people wouldn't take though (?)

Interesting move by Google - I hadn't thought about this angle - we're going to see a LOT of "Google Search" boxes pop up all over the place now! ;-)

I also pruned the length of the text box a bit in the HTML code - was a bit long for my tastes and where it fitted on my page - I can't believe this would be against their TOS (?)

alek

P.S. BTW, did anyone else notice this line at the bottom of the Adsense->Reports->Search Perforformance Page: "Revenue from WebSearch ads may be offset at the end of the month by fees applicable to WebSearch." - I don't see this on the "Ad Performance" page - wonder what exactly that means (?)

hulkster, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  8. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    You never know how your site will evolve..

In a word, Ditto :)

john_loch, Jun 19, 2004 IP
  9. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Ah. I noticed also a tidy number of your backlinks originate from your scripts/tools deployed elsewhere.

Makes a good example :)

john_loch, Jun 19, 2004 IP
  10. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Im linking to all of these tools with the same toolbar in our forums- couldn't be happier either.. I think you should release the code public so all SEO boards can use it ;)

schlottke, Jun 19, 2004 IP
  11. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    FYI FWIW: As implied above, I went ahead and added a dedicated Google Search page ... and I also updated my Alek's two cents on Ads, Link Exchange page to reflect this.

Gosh, I'm starting to feel like a Corporation ... although I did register as an Individual with Adsense per their recent request for you to choose.

alek

hulkster, Jun 19, 2004 IP
  12. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Yet another followup - I've seen a bit of traffic from the WebSearch stuff I added, but the dollars amounts of the click-thru's seem kinda high (the TOS doesn't allow sharing of details). Makes me almost wonder if Google is having some sort of problem and/or someone is abusing it - I can imagine this would be a great way to boot someone outa Adsense! :-(

Unrelated to the revenue stuff, this is pretty nifty - yea, I know I could have done this in the past (two examples are calling Google iteself with site: or using tools such as Shawn's), but I never got around to it ... but as a navigation aid, this provides one-click access that helps people find what they are looking for on the site itself - heck, even I can't even keep track of everything that is out there on www.komar.org ;-)

alek

P.S. WRT paragraph #1 above: I'm working on a scumbags page that will summarize the story and data about the guys who stole my website - thanx for the feedback from DP'ers on this.

hulkster, Jun 19, 2004 IP
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    So you are complaining that Google is paying you too much per click? :)

digitalpoint, Jun 20, 2004 IP
  14. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Not complaining, but just seemed odd to me as the dollar amounts were higher than I've normally seen - "HULK" stuff doesn't exactly have a high cents/click-thru! ;-)

Again, I put WebSearch on a few of my pages mostly as a navigation aid to surfers - I've allready found it pretty useful for me for internal searching - beats doing a "find . -exec grep STRING {} /dev/null\;"
    alek

hulkster, Jun 20, 2004 IP
  15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well unless they are searching for hulk stuff, it's not going to display those ads. The ads are based on what they are searching for.

digitalpoint, Jun 20, 2004 IP
  16. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, I know - just seems like most of the folks that end up on say, the Hulk page, would be intererested in words related to the Hulk, although they certainly could punch anything in there.

alek

hulkster, Jun 20, 2004 IP
  17. vord

vord Peon

Best Answers:
    I e-mailed Google about this. They said it was there in case there were too many searches and too few clicks (then they wouldn't make any money). They didn't expect many sites to be impacted, and no publisher will ever owe Google money. The full reply is at

http://forums.seochat.com/showpost.php?p=89453&postcount=13

:)

vord, Jun 21, 2004 IP