1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Wants Feedback on Removing PageRank Score

Discussion in 'Google' started by techboss, Aug 9, 2007.

1. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The PR tool bar is one of the greatest marketing tools of all time.

The removal of the PRTB makes no difference to me either way.

bogart, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  2. soju

soju Peon

Best Answers:
    But yet you advertise it in your signature. If those are your links:)

soju, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  3. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. PR is not useless. You can sell links.

bogart, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  4. drdavisjr

drdavisjr Peon

Best Answers:
    IMHO, Google will never (nor are they suggesting) remove PR from their internal calculations. I believe that what Adam Lasnik is referring to is the removal of that exported value from the toolbar.

drdavisjr, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  5. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

No it doesnt.

Pagerank is one of the most important Marketing tools Google has. So many people chase after pagerank and it keeps GOOGLE in everyone's thoughts.

If PageRank goes away, Google had better come up with something else to replace it. Otherwise, people will start chasing something else, such as Alexa Rank. And then many many many people will talk about Alexa and not Google.

joeychgo, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  6. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Remove your Google Toolbar and see if it makes a difference.

bogart, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  7. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sure it will. You'll miss it. You wont trust Google Backlinks because they are never right. So what will you come to look at as a measure of someone's site? Yahoo Backlinks? Alexa Rank? You'll need something without your PR Fix.

joeychgo, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  8. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PR isn't what sells links, it's web presence. TBPR is just one rough way to measure this, and it's often outdated and inaccurate.

Without it we will simply move on to some other rough means of measuring a website's traffic-sending potential. That other method will also be inaccurate, and we will bitch and moan about it, but we'll be doing it without mentioning Google every other sentence. Therefore, Google are unlikely ever to get rid of the toolbar display, even if they start exporting it yearly.

Personally, I don't give a damn whether they keep showing it or not.

Obelia, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  9. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I tend to agree with this ...

Let me say that google doesnt offer me much usefulness on their toolbar other then the "search" and "PR box"
    to make an educated guess of whether a site is "quality" or "banned"...
    with out the bar then i have no choice but to take the "alexa rank" and a few other things like
    yahoos backlinks into consideration before making that educated guess.

But in the end... Que Sera ... Sera

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  10. fbnewtz

fbnewtz Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that google should make the page rank more useful if they keep it. I think a box that pops up when you hover over the page rank should tell you what terms the site is ranking for with that page rank. I mean, if a site has a PR9 for the term "About Us", who really cares? But if I have a site on baseball and they rank PR9 for "baseball", then that is really valuable to me. That will do basically what they are trying to do, get rid of the shady sites just duping people because they have a high page rank.

This way people that really do have good content sites then they will get the benefit. At the very least it will cause people to try and get the high page rank for words that are meaningful. This would of course require people to actually come up with some good content.

I also think that they need to make a voting system as well. Allowing end users to vote on a site. If they think it is a valuable site for the specific keywords that the site is ranking for, then people need to be able to vote on that. Of course fraud is the first thing that comes to mind, but there could be checks put in place to fight that pretty easily. If a site gets visited and voted on irregularly in a bad or good way, then someone from Google could check it out. Anyway, I am not trying to solve all of their problems, just throw out a few ideas on how to make it helpful to the end user as well as the site owners.

Fred

fbnewtz, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  11. theo-zzzz

theo-zzzz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The toolbar pagerank is for people surfing the web to see the quality score of a website.

He just asks 'what else do you like to see?'

And then you make up a nice story...

theo-zzzz, Aug 12, 2007 IP