1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Wants Feedback on Removing PageRank Score

Discussion in 'Google' started by techboss, Aug 9, 2007.

1. jetbrains

jetbrains Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Totally agreed,especially high PR directory owners

jetbrains, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  2. Zanswer

Zanswer Peon

Best Answers:
    I know I won't miss toolbar PR if it is gone. Google needs to do something about it, either show real PR and update once a week thus making it actually useful, or take it out. It has become a burden on many webmasters, even though most understand it doesn't mean much at all. I'd rather spend more time working on contents.

Another one definitely needs to go is the Link: commander. What is the purpose of it anyway if it only displays a very limited number of links?

If toolbar PR is gone people can still use other sources to check link popularity of the website they are interested, and maybe even pay more attention to quality and contents of the site rather than heavily relying on the green bar.

Zanswer, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  3. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would think it would be very bad idea for Google. Basically, people wanted to use PR for advertising and promotions, so if not available any more, they may switch to another one.

And if, for example, Yahoo! offers that, Google can lose a lot of traffic.

coolsitez, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  4. Pierce

Pierce Active Member

Best Answers:
    Fair enough, I have developed a hatread for TLA by people spamming my site just to get backlinks on a blog with 0 traffic and then be able to apply for TLA.

What metric will google use? Well, can they use a hits/time spent on site/page views etc algorithm? Not unless they can measure the traffic on the site (AdSense/Analytics).

Could they use the toolbar? Sure it reports back to google (if you let it) about each page you view, so they could be an alexa type system, but again not everybody uses the tool bar and might have accuracy issues.

Manual review/comment system like stumbleupon? The more positive feed back the better?

Again we come back to the idea of referals via linking. The more people link the more your site is liked (or controversal, and hated). I do think though, that if google removes PR from the public, they can rejig the figures so peoples PR jumps all over the place, without having a massive onslaught of complaints, which could result in better more accurate ranking.

Pierce

Pierce, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  5. Claudek

Claudek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As high PR does not equate to high traffic, I do not see how advertising and promotions would be affected by this.

How Google would lose advertising/traffic as a result of this change?

Not to be cynical, but most, if not all the main posters so far in this thread and others relating to the PR removal who say it is a bad move appear to either own directories or sell PR links.

Claudek, Aug 9, 2007 IP
    Pierce likes this.
  6. theo-zzzz

theo-zzzz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google is not going to remove the Pagerank tool.
    A WW.com admin suggested the removal, and Adam was curious about it.

theo-zzzz, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  7. kittyluver

kittyluver Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Google won't remove PR. IF it removes msn or Yahoo will launch new technique of PR to grab the webmasters...

kittyluver, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  8. Awareness

Awareness Banned

Best Answers:
    i think google would be a looser if it removes the page rank thing .

Awareness, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  9. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I just don't understand why you call it useless repeatedly while your actions are completely against.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=432119

Your sales thread talks about high PR everywhere. Now tell me you call it useless? :rolleyes:

maldives, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  10. benifactor

benifactor Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe a good idea would be to eliminate the TOOL BAR page rank so no public viewing... and leave the page rank value that is in the webmaster tools section there for webmasters to view. This would almost eliminate link sales based on pr and make the buyers and sellers rely on traffic?

my two cents.

benifactor, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  11. hitfirmdotcom

hitfirmdotcom Peon

Best Answers:
    How many people would uninstall the toolbar without this information. I for one have mentioned PR to clients and how to view it and they downloaded the toolbar and like to look at their PR occasionally. And of course they use the search box..... Searches.... Adsense.... Money for Google...

hitfirmdotcom, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  12. benifactor

benifactor Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree that it would not be as widely used as i have never met a webmaster that doesn't have the google tool par or some other means of pr checking installed in there browsers.

but it would drastically cut down on the selling of links based on pr no?

13. Hade

Hade Active Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting points raised.
    I'm not fussed, I probably would be if I was a directory owner. Many take PR far too seriously.

Hade, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  14. freeman

freeman Active Member

Best Answers:
    I heard that they will stop showing pagerank to public, but you will be able to see it on webmaster console.

freeman, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  15. benifactor

benifactor Peon

Best Answers:
    the only reason why i even bother is it is kind of like a "here is how you are doing" statement and lets me know if i am on pace with goals or i need to step it up. I don't even get anxious until all the rubbish in forums start :)

16. benifactor

benifactor Peon

Best Answers:

Where did you here this? i just stated that about four posts up as an idea. can you show us where you saw this please. Im interested!

17. Trapped

Trapped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is very possible they will. I have yet to see Google asking for feedback on something if they are not sure they want to do that. It is not something Adam came with just like that.

What might stop Google from removing the PR score would be that many webmaster will be also removing the Google toolbar (and thats why Adam asks "What else would you like to see", in other words, what would you want for re-compensation the PR score so you won't remove the Google toolbar).

Trapped, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  18. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That sales pitch dude, just like a used car salesmen will never buy used car from himself:D.

I don't rely on PR too. However, that's what other do, so why not.

PR is the only "visible" way to see if a site is valuable. You can look at a site's link profile and have a feeling about it's trust and authority but you can't put a number on it.

ahkip, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  19. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:

I have to fully agree with this statement. I had to move my blog to a new location a month or two ago and the PR dropped to zero during the move. I redirected my traffic, so I still get a few hundred unique hits a day, but the PR is gone.

I really dislike the idea that a potential feed adder or bookmarker might pass on my blog because he or she could assume that I'm some newb in the blogosphere based on the fact that my blog is PR zero.

I feel I have fairly good content, a decent design, and my readers tend to stick around, but I also feel there are some readers who use that silly bar to jump to judgements. I know this because I've seen it talked about all over these forums. "why is your site showing no PR?" That kind of thing.

I think getting rid of PR would get us back to quality in content. More people would choose what they stick to based on reality, not Google's perception of reality.

Granted, I've made some money based on PR, but I'm tired of it. I'm tired of what it has done to the web. It's mucking everything up and making a huge mess.

zman, Aug 11, 2007 IP
    Pierce likes this.
  20. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why Google is going to remove PR? indeed Google patented it. That was a great achievement of Google! (less important now)

People would use other SEO factors like PageStrength as indictor or MSN Yahoo would create a new one. That's a great chance for them.

xc06, Aug 11, 2007 IP