1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google vs. Microsoft

Discussion in 'Google' started by SEOGuru, Jun 4, 2004.

1. dpak

dpak Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with the need to be user friendly and I don't think Linux is there yet. In the past few years they have made HUGE advancements and I think will soon have a product which is equally as user friendly. The difference is that Linux has a very strong core product and is now in the process of building a UI to make it user friendly. Microsoft however built the good UI and now is trying to improve the core which is much more difficult because they have to maintain backwards compatibility all the time.

That's why I think Google is the company who can put those final touches on the Linux user interface and developer tools and then use their marketing power to get into the OS market.

But like I said before... I don't want to see Google take over the OS market, I just want to see competition in the OS market. Because with competition we'll see huge advancements that will benefit everyone.

dpak, Jan 31, 2006 IP
  2. davert

davert Banned

Best Answers:
    Linux is not generally user friendly in my opinion, but then, neither is Windows. UNIX can be user friendly if you get it with the Macintosh shell.

davert, Jan 31, 2006 IP
  3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Have you tried www.mepis.com

You can get this Linux OS on a CD from their store for about 15 Bucks, it will boot on your Windows box from the CD drive so you don't have to load it to hard drive to test it!!

http://store.mepis.com/home.php

I got it, it is fantastic :D :D

anthonycea, Jan 31, 2006 IP
  4. cenkbut

cenkbut Peon

Best Answers:
    So you must buy Linux OS now?? I was thinking, human knowledge belongs to the world and it must be free :D :D

cenkbut, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  5. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    If you want it to be easy it pays to pay...:eek:

anthonycea, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  6. Brad Callen

Brad Callen Peon

Best Answers:
    Linux and many variations of it are free, you can download it, but its going to be over 1gb of data.

So if you have the bandwidth then no problem.

Also there is a similar program Anthony called, Knopix

It boots directly from the cd-rom also and is a very very handy program, especially if you can't get into your windows box for some reason and need an alternative way.

Has saved me a few times :)

Brad

Brad Callen, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  7. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks Brad, I would rather buy the CD's because it takes a long time to download an OS, I think it was 95 hours, then I asked Mepis to just send me the CD....

$15.00 is not to much to pay to play :)

anthonycea, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  8. rfransdonk

rfransdonk Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL. That looks like a pretty lame view now. Another proof that the success of a company is depends on people more than cash on the bank. Even Bill knows that...

rfransdonk, Nov 20, 2007 IP
  9. Zeealpal

Zeealpal Peon

Best Answers:
    When Microsoft released Vista, it caused a massive increase in the amount of Linux users, especially since Microsoft tried to make people switch to Vista, and many people decided to go to linux instead. Google have already made their own version of linux, 'Goobuntu', based on Ubuntu. Google is also porting many of their apps over to linux. If Microsoft gets rid of the whole browser thing and practically makes people use MSN Search, their will be people who dont want to, and even more people will move away from Windows. Sure Microsoft has the power and cash to possibly kill Google if they tried, but Google actually gets alot of money as well, and they release great free apps,which has already cost Microsoft quite a bit. And Google's online apps are platform independent, so you don't need to have Windows to use them, which could make more people switch away from Windows. And because Google doesn't have a commercial operating system and office suite, it is fighting only one war. Microsoft however, is fighting against Open Office, which is great and Firefox, which is way better than IE, faster, and more secure. They are also losing market share at a rapidly increasing rate to Apple (Max OSX) and to Linux, which has improved exponentially in the past few years. And Microsoft gets money, and alot of it, from people, and mainly because they didn't have a usable alternative a few years ago. But now they do, and Microsoft will lose alot, in many areas, so even if they kill Google, in a way it will only make things worse.

Zeealpal, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  10. Zeealpal

Zeealpal Peon

Best Answers:
    If MS tries to make everything we use MS, then people will abandon MS altogether, people like choice, and now theres plenty of good, non-MS choice out there. Firefox, Open Office and Linux are just a few, and i don't want a MS controlled computer. I want to be able to use what i want without people(MS) suggesting (forcing) us to use their services. A complete monopoly is bad for the consumers, and many people out their know that. Many more apps (like Firefox and Open Office though they have for a while) now work better on Linux than Windows and don't cost anything. (Windows and Office together are quite expensive). And now Linux is an option pre-installed on computers from most major vendors in the US, UK and EU (not Australia =()

Zeealpal, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  11. bing4all

bing4all Peon

Best Answers:
    i think google and microsoft are great in their own fields

bing4all, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  12. sanzal

sanzal Peon

Best Answers:
    google is free and easy to use .... Microsoft expensive but perfectly software....

sanzal, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  13. aeroflix

aeroflix Peon

Best Answers:
    well, google is more of serving the people while microsft is just making money

aeroflix, May 7, 2010 IP
  14. clbyodo

clbyodo Peon

Best Answers:
    Google is the best.

clbyodo, May 7, 2010 IP
  15. mrpaisa

mrpaisa Guest

Best Answers:
    Google is mind blowing search engine.

mrpaisa, May 7, 2010 IP
  16. ePressDNA

ePressDNA Guest

Best Answers:
    Google is the best. Most important they provide free stuff. :)

ePressDNA, May 7, 2010 IP
  17. premeet01245

premeet01245 Guest

Best Answers:
    thanks for writing

premeet01245, May 22, 2010 IP
  18. newcity

newcity Peon

Best Answers:
    Google by far the most successful search engine :). I think no one will be able to beat them.

newcity, May 22, 2010 IP
  19. premeet01245

premeet01245 Guest

Best Answers:
    ya you are 100% correct.

premeet01245, Jun 15, 2010 IP
  20. decno1

decno1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think MS is not paying attention to the search engines, they focus on their own products/services
    Google is watching MS and dreaming to be able to have a chance.
    My opinion is, search engines is just a piece of cake comparing to the software that MS is doing.

decno1, Jun 16, 2010 IP