1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google vs. Microsoft

Discussion in 'Google' started by SEOGuru, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Atlanta Realtor

Atlanta Realtor Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is my 2 cents and I am no where near as savvy as any of you are but looking at this from a consumers point of view. I DO NOT find the google results to be very relevant. I even find yahoo results to be more relevant for real estate then google. I only use real estate because that is what I see everyday.

As a consumer when I am searching for say any city real estate and I find home repair companies a newpapers that has real estate advertisements in it or a directory that offers a list of agents..I do not find that to really be relevant to what I AM looking for.

Even in adwords you find a mortgage company for a city real estate. Most users when they search that phrase are looking for an agents website and a smart consumer wants to find an agent that has the rankings on their own instead of in some directory...because as a smart consumer I know that if an agent has those rankings on there own they have the content I am looking for and have spent the time and money to get those rankings.

Back to the subject at hand I do feel Microsoft will take google down. There is noone in this industry that has the business and web savvy Gates does. Also he has the money to buy his way into anything.

For those Major search phrases that I have heard everyone mention on the web something like 20,000 of them. I know this would never happen but I would like to see for some of those phrases that once you hit the top 10 those sites are human edited or that there be a second algo they must pass..LOL dont bash me to hard.

Well I guess I have said enough..since I am not that savvy I know my comments dont offer much.

Atlanta Realtor, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  2. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    I've seen Yahoo! results to be back and forth as far as relevancy goes- it honestly seems to depend on the topic- whereas Google spits out fairly relevant results for everything. MS could easily out do them both with added funding.

schlottke, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Savvy, we are just a bunch of nuts throwing shit against the wall, you might as well join in, anytime, it will be like watching one flew over the coo coo nest.

Google has had problems since they watered down the search index, claiming that they were doing it to stop spamming from their arch enemies (SEO experts), now if Google hates SEO experts, can you tell me why "so called SEO experts" seem to defend them until the air is knocked out of their lungs?

Getting back to what you were saying, about 11/2003 or even before then, this issue of relevant results has made the news on every forum.

Could it be that Google did this to force webmasters to BUY ADWORDS? I say hell yes that is a great factor in these results.

I will not give my full answer as it seems some resent that, so lets let others on the forum add to this.

anthonycea, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yep... Passport is a bunch of crap if you ask me. I sure as hell am not giving my info to Microsoft. That's about the last company on the planet I would trust with anything.

digitalpoint, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You need to work on your conclusion drawing skills I think. :)

Google doesn't "hate" SEO experts, but even if they did, SEO experts defending Google really does not mean anything what-so-ever. It certainly doesn't mean there is a conspiracy (which is what I take it you are implying) between Google and the SEO "experts". Maybe they "defend" Google because Google hasn't done any wrong to them and they make money because of Google's popularity.

I'm not a SEO expert, and I'm not necessarily pro or anti Google, but from everything I've seen personally, they are an infinitely better company than any other one I've seen with more than 5 employees.

That being said, I never blindly follow either. I don't think a company is "good" or "bad" because someone says so. I base all my opinions on everything I've experienced and witnessed. And right now, my opinion of Google is they are a "good" company. To me, Microsoft is a "bad" company. And Yahoo is somewhere in between.

6. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    So Shawn, are we all going to be able to avoid a (666) computer ID, the answer is no, if you want to be online you will have to get "the mark".

Bottom line is we are going to be forced into it, have you tried to rent a car without a driver license or a credit card. Better start walking, I am going to buy some Goats and start growing Corn.

You are in the minority, using Macs, everyone else will get the MS ID, just think no passwords, no log ins, come on Shawn Join us, won't you?

You can be one OF US, MS GEEKS, it ain't so bad Shawn, lots of good looking girls here, if you die in battle, just think of all the virgins you have waiting for you, your reward is waiting, please join us.. :eek:

7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If Windows was a better operating system, then that's cool. But since I don't want to downgrade, I'm good where I am, thanks. :)

I *do* have Windows machines BTW, but right now the only useful thing I use it for is as a print/file server for my Macs. :) I wouldn't want to waste a good computer for something so lame. heh

Okay, I'm done. Not trying to start a operating system holy war. :)

In fact, most of the commercial software I write is for Windows, so I guess I shouldn't knock it too much. Just not something I would personally use as my real computer.

8. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Come on Shawn, Softie is soft, it can't be "bad" soft is GOOD.

You mac guy's are a dedicated bunch, but MS is going to take over computing is seems, unless the open source guy's get off of their ARSEs and get some programs built that folks can use, MS will take over everything.

I see you do not like the AUTOID system that M$ is developing, you do not like passport, but what do you think of a passwordless process of surfing that is going to be introduced soon. Digital Point will have to install the interface in their website also (automatic ID)

They will have a complete profile on every site you ever visited unless that infromation is some how regulated by the government.

9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Like what exactly? I've never run across anything I needed on a Mac that was not available.

I don't have any opinion on it, because I don't know anything about a "passwordless process of surfing that will track you". Something like that could only be done at the router level of the ISPs, which will never happen (ISPs are privately held companies, and I know a LOT about them because my billing software runs about 50% of them in the world). No one owns the Internet, not even Microsoft.

10. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Intel put serial numbers on processors years back and were forced by the privacy outfits through protests to stop the program.

http://www.searchwars.squarespace.com/display/ShowJournal?moduleId=25592

(cut and paste the above to see the whole story)

Why can't auto ID work, if it is a serial number on your processor or a code in your OS, why can't they ID each user?

11. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think he refers to the TCPA initiative.

Bernard, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well first of all, I use a Mac, so I don't use an Intel processor. I'm not a privacy crusader, so truthfully I really only care about myself in that regard.

Secondly, I know about what Intel tried already, and the project was killed (as you said because of privacy concerns).

Thirdly, if such a unique ID was passed at the lowest detectable level (within the actual TCP packet), it would only be readable by the routers between you and the web server. No different than a cookie.

Since no one owns the Internet, there is no central point that all traffic goes through (or is reported to).

13. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Bernard you are Brilliant, thank you, I have other articles on this AUTO ID but I did post it on the page Under Auto ID, thank you for posting it.

14. hexed

hexed Peon

Best Answers:
    You really can't be serious? You have to see what MSN is doing to my web logs. As of this moment, MSN has indexed 11,000+ pages on my website since June 1st, whereas Google has indexed 3544 pages.

MSN is clearly shadowing Google in power. They are going to flip the switch in July and it won't take long for people to make a switch when it's integrated into XP/longhorn.

Hexed

hexed, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  15. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Damm, this is going to be a hot thread, yes I have noticed MSNbot as much more active than any of the others for 2 months now. They will mix these in with the Yahoo results they are using, I think Yahoo and MSN will be in bed together even after the browserless OS appears. They will both be integrated in to the M$ OS and search function.

16. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    the number of pages cached doesn't make the search engine. there are SE's with more pages cached out there than google, but people come back to google for a reason.

it's simple, it's easy to use, it's powerful, it's not cluttered with ads, there aren't any paid placements, and you get the results you want.

MS wants a cash cow, and search isn't it if they're going to compete directly with google.

disgust, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  17. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    disgust, I'm curious, do you know of a specific engine that has a larger index than Google? The last time I checked, Google had the largest and was the best at maintaining freshness too.

Anthony, the paper I referenced is old. I don't remember when version 1.0 was first published (could probably look it up on the wayback machine, but it's not that important to me), but it was widely referenced in programming circles at the time. I first became aware of it in July 2002.

Bernard, Jun 5, 2004 IP
  18. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Bernard, get the alcohol out and please clean a spot on your forehead so we can place your ID on you, it will work on your mobile unit or your desktop.

But we must ID you if you wish to be online.

Anyone that refuses the ID, should buy some Goats and start making cheese.

http://channelzone.ziffdavis.com/article2/0,1759,1602142,00.asp

Thank you for your co-operation, You can take the Softie ID or the Google Brain implant, as the government has instituted the Antitrust law so consumers have a choice. :eek:

Oh and the smart people and the lawmakers are now starting to look into the legalities of this end of the world "666chip" crap, see the link below, you will have to cut and paste it since the members voted me not worthy of a live link permission, thanks alot everyone.

http://techcenter.gmu.edu/programs/conferences/law_econ_cyber_flyer.pdf

anthonycea, Jun 5, 2004 IP
  19. SEOGuru

SEOGuru Peon

Best Answers:
    Though I do think that companies like Microsoft will continue to research customer profiling I doubt they will be able to implement full user tracking (example: Minority Report where you walk by billboards and they call your name). It isn't a matter of whether or not it can be done, but how much privacy are people willing to give up. It is a very touchy subject with very pationate views on both sides of the fence.

SEOGuru, Jun 5, 2004 IP
  20. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    What is all this nonsense with Passport? My browser remembers all my login/password combinations for me--if i want it to--in encrypted form. So long as I back up my profile files against a disk crash or some such, I need never remember any passwords, or even logon ids.

Passport; Do de phrase "ice to eskimos" ring a bell?

Owlcroft, Jun 5, 2004 IP