1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google versus MSN search

Discussion in 'Bing' started by Openg, Oct 25, 2004.

?

Google versus Msn

1. Yeah i'd use msn if it was good

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Don't care

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. I'd rather french kiss a moose than use msn search

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  1. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    I just feel Microsoft's approach has been more destructive to software developement than constructive.

I suppose I am going on the stories that I have heard about Microsoft but I know that if I did the relevant research that I would find that Google have been a lot more constructive in the software developement industry.

Weirfire, Oct 26, 2004 IP
  2. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    Well would you agree that real estate is a pretty general term with its meaning and assuming what you believe consumers are looking for when they type that into the search bar. As an example take Las vegas real estate. Within the top 20 results last I looked only 8 of those were real estate agent websites. Another search term would be Las Vegas real estate agent. Within this search there was less then 10 real estate agents listed in the top 20 results.

Looking at this from a consumers point of view and I do believe I understand real estate consumers. They are looking for websites that have information about that real estate market or a community within that market.

They are not looking for an online drug store that has gotten some real estate links, so therefore I do not find those results relevant within google. Looking at the new MSN search engine. Within the top 20 results all 20 are real estate agent websites or real estate directories of agents for those phrases.

Las Vegas Homes, Oct 26, 2004 IP
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    That's true, that does proof them being irrelevant.

T0PS3O, Oct 26, 2004 IP
  4. Openg

Openg Peon

Best Answers:
    There are more votes for MSN then I thought there would be. Seems mr Gates still has some support out there ;)

Openg, Oct 26, 2004 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    You'd be stupid to not use MSN if it's good, considering G, Y and others all lack at various aspects. So assuming MSN searcg works good (like the poll option describes) then of course we'd use it.

T0PS3O, Oct 26, 2004 IP
  6. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly...

That's just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I'm sorry to everyone here who has said " I'd rather french kiss a moose than use msn search", but I think you are stupid.

I think the people that voted that way clearly have something wrong with their heads.

If MSN produced a better search engine (I spent a while looking at it today, and I have to say - It's not bad), then why on earth would you not use it.

I think some of the people seriously need to have their heads examined if they would rather spend longer looking for something just because they "Don't like a company".

That's rediculous.

SEbasic, Oct 26, 2004 IP
  7. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes, it will be great in the year 8000 when they start using their own results instead of Yahoo's.

They should just buy Yahoo and get it over with. IBM and Google should merge so we can get on with the big computing war.

That may well be what the future holds. :) :mad: :)

anthonycea, Oct 26, 2004 IP
  8. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You're asking the wrong question, SE.

What intrigues me is why so many people who have responded to that poll are so eager to french kiss a moose... :confused:

I wouldn't have thought there were that many members from Newfoundland in this forum... :eek:

minstrel, Oct 26, 2004 IP
  9. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    There is only one problem I see in my industry to this point with MSN. 2 of the sites in the top 10 for a major search phrase were booted from google for cloaking. Its a company and not the real estate agents, so I could see where MSN would have to tweak their algo to catch this type of tactic.

Other then that I see the results being a lot more relevant in my industry then any other search engine.

Las Vegas Homes, Oct 26, 2004 IP
  10. Openg

Openg Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't believe that we live in a time where a search engine is starting to get more people wet than rock'n'roll :cool: :rolleyes:

Openg, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  11. sapphiro15

sapphiro15 Peon

Best Answers:
    Google is still a simple fast effective search engine. I'll be sticking to google until someone tells me the msn is better.

It took along time before i stopped using icq and switched to msn

sapphiro15, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  12. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:

I dont see it as supporting Mr. Bill but I do see more relevant results, which is good for the search engine consumer. I have said this before but google is looking for any way to drive up its adword profits. What better way to do that than to produce 60% relevant results for any given search term.

Just because a website is older and has more BLs, does not make it the best website for the consumer to find the information they are looking for. As for indexed pages, well in the real estate profession, a lot of those are filler pages. As an example a real estate glossary 90 pages or a link directory which adds at least 50 to 60 pages or even a forum which I know personally produces a ton of indexed pages.

Dont get me wrong, common sense dictates to us that older sites should have more content , but this is not always the case and in my industry I have found that a lot of this content on older sites is outdated and of no use to the consumer.

Las Vegas Homes, Nov 9, 2004 IP