1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google uses meta description?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Kaabi, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    Description tags are very important for google and yahoo

Keyword tags are no good for the main search engines but they are useful for some of the less popular search engines.

Business Services, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  2. Kaabi

Kaabi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've never seen two high-reputation members go at it like this before. But seriously, minstrel, can you link to the page where you point out the flaws? I'm actually on your side, I don't think meta description has anything to do with rankings, but my mind is open and maybe mvandemar is right. I want to know!

Kaabi, Aug 25, 2007 IP
  3. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, he can't actually... if you browse the thread you can see he's lying about it.

-Michael

mvandemar, Aug 25, 2007 IP
  4. Sean-Pollock

Sean-Pollock Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think google nessesarily uses the meta description tag as your description. However if you have that same, or similar text on the actual page google WILL use that as your description :) an example.

On my site, learn-poetry.com google was showing the description as my navbar links and my footer, so it would show as:

Learn to Write Poetry
    Home, elements, forms, about, shoutout, forums, sean pollock

I copied the description on my homepage into my meta description tags and when google crawled my site again the description showed up as that description (which was previously there). Though the text was a little too big so it was somewhat cut of with an ellipsis :D. So

Homepage Introduction text (first few lines):
    Thanks to the web and annonimaty online, a mass of poetic talent has appeared. The problem with that though, is that most of that talent, is raw, and undefined. Learn Poetry aims to fix that.

META Description:
    Thanks to the web and annonimaty online, a mass of poetic talent has appeared. The problem with that though, is that most of that talent, is raw, and undefined. Learn Poetry aims to fix that. Read through our awesome lessons and learn how to write poetry like a pro!

SERP Description:
    Thanks to the web and annonimaty online, a mass of poetic talent has appeared. The problem with that though, is that most of that talent, is raw, ...

PS: Im sorry if I seem like Im promoting my site, it's just that I have only really done seo and monitored this site so it was easier for me to create an example

Sean-Pollock, Aug 25, 2007 IP
  5. Kaabi

Kaabi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's okay, I notice a lot of people here try to speak in generalities instead of referencing their own site. If referencing your site makes describing the situation easier, then do it! I do.

Kaabi, Sep 1, 2007 IP