1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google/URL length question.

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by billion, Oct 9, 2004.

Hi everyone!

I'm working on a site with many long URLs with a lot of ? .php and such in them. I'm trying to use mod rewrite to make them both shorter and more "Google friendly" by making them all show as .html files. I have two main questions:

1) Does anyone know how long URLs Google "like"? I've heard they should not be too long.

2) Does anyone know what to avoid when making "Google friendly" URLs? I know making them to .html files is good. Anything else to think about?

Thanks!

billion, Oct 9, 2004 IP
  2. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    1) hmm. thats new for me. at least I know looooong urls do get a pagerank. but if they actually appear in the engine I dunno.

2) lol yeah ppl on this forum have many :D for example make the url have keywords, the title, the backlink, the content, and you can go on and on on this.

reading a lot of topics on this forum is a start!

Dirkjan, Oct 9, 2004 IP
  3. Mel

Mel Peon

Best Answers:
    Google does not like urls with the term Id= or sid= followed by more than ten characters. It also does not like more than two (some say three) parameters in the URL.

I would suggest that you do some Google searches to see exactly how Google is treating URLs similar to yours.

Mel, Oct 9, 2004 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think the .html has any "Google friendly" advantage -- Google indexes php and asp and pdf and other extensions just fine. What is important is avoiding having more than a couple of variables (?...) after the URL.

minstrel, Oct 10, 2004 IP
  5. hightide13

hightide13 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have sites that have one and two variables behind the ? and they were indexed, but it seemed to take a while. When I used mod rewrite to change them (to php extention BTW) it seemed liked Google picked them up twice as fast.

Definitly use keywords in your variables as well.

hightide13, Oct 12, 2004 IP