1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Update?

Discussion in 'Google' started by DarrenC, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Arnica

Arnica Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think it was an update in the backlinks. I don't have any 'new' links displayed - just a different set of 'old' links. Similarly no movement in PR save for one site moving from PR4 to PR5. Weird.

Mick

Arnica, Jul 20, 2004 IP
  2. pstatus

pstatus Peon

Best Answers:

That's interesting... i was hoping for a PR boost.. guess i have to wait for another month.

pstatus, Jul 21, 2004 IP
  3. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    have far less than half of previous BL now ( only in G NOT in other SE )
    but PR no change

hans, Jul 26, 2004 IP
  4. jocs

jocs Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been a passive reader of this Forum, and here is my conclusion on this topic:

I've noticed an incrase of my showed backlinks (I'll explain why I say showed BLs) from 1 to 10 rate. And my conclusion is:

Google now shows in "link:url_wanted" command all the pages containing a link to url_wanted without filtering by PR, rather than it always was filtering by PR (G was only showing links with more than PR 4).

So I don't think we'll notice an incrace of PR.

jocs, Jul 27, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I don't think that's what's going on. Otherwise links to www.digitalpoint.com would show over 100,000 just from internal links with low PR.

digitalpoint, Jul 27, 2004 IP
  6. Mel

Mel Peon

Best Answers:
    It appears to me that Google have only changed their way of selecting the sample of links that the link: command shows, but that they have not updated the backlinks or PR, or made a serious algorithm change,

There are still some glitches floating about though, I have seen sites with a PR0 home page, but with good internal PR and rankings remaining unchanged.

Mel, Jul 28, 2004 IP
  7. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This has been possible, although maybe not all that common, for quite some time. I'm not sure I would call this a "glitch". IMHO.

North Carolina SEO, Jul 29, 2004 IP
  8. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    There was something FLAWED in the last "update".

One page in a site of mine was credited with 23 links from this forum. The problem is - NO LINKS from this forum point to that page!

That one was an easy one to spot. If this kind of screw up happened across the board, it would mostly go un-noticed as who checks these things?

mcdar, Jul 29, 2004 IP
  9. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    I see where you're coming from, I've seen literally thousands of additional internal backlinks show up myself, and no consistency (either floors or ceilings) in terms of PR. It's true that PR no longer plays an obvious role but there's more to it than that. Just like DP, if all internals were showing, then I'd have 100K myself.

Anything beyond that would be speculation. The only thing I can say for sure is the additional links that showed up after the last update were internal.. :)

john_loch, Jul 29, 2004 IP
  10. bhutz

bhutz Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh my gosh, how the heck you manage to get 2500+ backlinks? :eek: I am having trouble cracking google, plus I only have 8 backlinks :eek:.
    I know the googlebot is visiting and the keyword tracker says I have a SERP of about 100 which is not bad considering it was about 200 last month, is it just a case of waiting so that all the links submissions etc that I have done have a chance to update?

bhutz, Aug 4, 2004 IP
  11. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    I reckon we'll see another BL update as well as PR update in just over a weeks time.

They've probably just missed out the PR update this time around.

Weirfire, Aug 4, 2004 IP
  12. wiseone

wiseone Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess I'll wait and see what happens over the next few weeks... Google has been pretty strange. For one our keywords... We are on the first page on minute and then on the fifth page. Things are moving every couple of hours. Would really like to see a page rank update. Something happen mid-June that really boosted our traffic. Would like to see that happen again.

wiseone, Aug 4, 2004 IP