1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Update Coming?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Harold, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Cricket

Cricket Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Definitions of CLOYING (see also SWEET below) on the Web:
    [size=-1]

Excessive sugar component annoys with dominating flavour and aftertaste. The wine is then demonstrably unbalanced relative to the other components.
    zebra.biol.sc.edu/smell/wine_glossary.html

Excessive sugar component annoys with dominating flavor and aftertaste. The wine is then demonstrably unbalanced relative to the other components.
    www.radanovich.house.gov/wine/tastingglossary.htm

Overly sweet, and lacking the correct amount of acidity to give the wine balance.
    www.grapestompers.com/glossary.htm

Describes ultra-sweet or sugary wines that lack the balance provided by acid, alcohol, bitterness or intense flavor.
    128.200.136.180/ea/wine/tastings/glossary.html

A taste that persists after the beer is swallowed, but which is overly sweet or unctuous, not bitter.
    www.foggybottom.com/BeerDictionary.shtml

overly sweet
    www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn [/size]

Cricket, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  2. PissedOffBitch

PissedOffBitch Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think we will see a Google PR update for at least3 more months.

PissedOffBitch, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  3. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Welcome POB....hope you have some fun here.

IMHO your post though is a waste of time - if you are going to make a statement please give your reasons otherwise this forum will end up like others - which I certainly do not want and maybe others too.

Why do you make this statement? On what grounds? If you go and look at the big experiment [which is contributed to by more than just Bob and McDar, Anthony!] you will see later today, when McDar publishes, on the link donations page BIG swings in the back links. Now that is not PR but is a factor. So please explain how you draw the conclusion.

Foxy, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  4. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would be careful if I were you ....... She's already pissed off, remember? :D

Now seriously, I do agree with Foxy ....

p.o.b Nobody really knows (apart from Google's staff, I suppose) when the next PR update is ..... now, if you are referring to the toolbar PR .... nobody cares when the next update is .... and if you are referring to the real PR .... nobody know when the next update is! :D

So, maybe you would like to explain your statement to us lesser mortals! :rolleyes:

dfsweb, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  5. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    Maybe P.O.B. is the first post by a Google employee, trying to get us all worked up about delays in PR updates.

nadlay, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  6. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    PissedOffBitch is in some was related to PRbot.com

Check the site in the profile, then follow a couple of links and you will see zonebot.com and poloticsforum.com...

Just thought Id let you know (PRbot.com is yet to say anything I believe to be true in terms of SEO - so if I were you, I wouldn't take what the bitch said too seriously) ;)

SEbasic, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  7. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:

Here is my definition:
    cloy (kloi)

v., cloyed, cloy·ing, cloys.

v.tr.
    To cause distaste or disgust by supplying with too much of something originally pleasant, especially something rich or sweet; surfeit.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2003 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.​

compar, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  8. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, how about that, say something nice about Compar and get bitched at.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Maybe I will say Shawn is funny since I read a few funny posts of his recently?
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=37639#post37639
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Then you guys can all attack me, damm it sure is fun :D

I just call it like it is (thanks Cricket) if I say Bob is "Sweet old Bob", Damm it, I MEAN IT :eek:

Foxy, if anyone reads the McDar thread they will see that you are part of the research and so are others.

What is your opinion about Google being bent (don't want to say broke since it seems to bring folks out of the woodwork pissed off), I am trying to be nice again. :rolleyes:

anthonycea, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  9. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Go read the last couple of posts in the McDar thread. The Google is broken crowd have all moved there. Don't tell Shawn or VS or Minstrel though. I'm not sure they could tolerate so much heresy in such a short time period.

It like fighting forest fires you suppress one "Google is broken" hot spot and damn, the first thing you know another has flared up. These guys and VS the SM probably need time to remarshall their enegry and resources before they can swoop in and kill this next outbreak. Maybe they should see if Google can lend them some manpower for this righteous battle.

compar, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  10. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely. And I would also agree that some of those changes have not worked the way Google hoped and have been reversed or refined. This is ongoing -- I believe Google Guy said a few months back that there are any where from 2 to 6 tweaks a month, most of them relatively minor, and I imagine we can expect this to continue.

minstrel, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Actually, I'm happy to see that the "Google is broken" groupies (doesn't that sound like a Cat Stevens fan club?) have their own little thread and I will leave them to it... :D

minstrel, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  12. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Come on now Minstrel, that is not the spirit of the good forum player that you are, get in there and provide a contrary opinion :D

How in the hell can these threads go on otherwise?

Just look at the magic your intervention has done for both threads, you sure put a fire under this one and now the McDar thread also. :D

13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Oh I'm sure they'll do fine without me. There are lots of things in real life that I disagree with but which seem to thrive without me being in there to tell them why I think they're wrong. Besides, it would just be a duplication of this thread and I'd get bored.

minstrel, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  14. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    So you are not going to continue to promote threads after you become bored with them, now that is a novel concept Minstrel :)

If I start a M$ bashing thread would you join in on that one?

If that does not interest you, maybe you could think of something and I can provide the contrary viewpoint.

15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I don't know about novel -- it's been years since I bought a Fabian or Chubby Checker record. I still like Abba though and I went to an April Wine concert this summer :eek:

Probably -- I never get bored with those. Even seeing that annoying old M$ gag gets me going some days...

minstrel, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  16. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I happen to be running dry of original ideas, so I will focus on highjacking the threads of others, feel free to join in if you see something interesting.

I could always resort to putting fear in SEbasic if all else fails :D

17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    See, that is why Google is more successful than Anthony: Google's motto is "don't be evil" :eek:

minstrel, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  18. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah, you are right Minstrel, Google is above reproach :mad:

19. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    There was some discussion about "random results" in the first few pages of this thread - it would not surprise me if Google DID have some randomization applied to the results that is especially visible for non-competitive keywords.

I.e. lets say a site can have a "SERP rank" of between 0 and 100 (with 100 being the highest and linear scale) and when I put on my coder hat, I might toss in a random wieghting factor of 0.1. So for competitive terms, it has very little influence, but for non-competitive stuff, it can have quite a bias ... and makes sense IMHO since the sites aren't "really" relevent so I might as well show some others ... which may result in people linking to those that are truly good and then they would become more relevent.

BTW, I think SEO does equal SEM ... and have added a "search engine manipulator" comment to my Alek's two cents on SEO page - great term whoever coined it - a rose is still a rose, whatever you want to call it!

hulkster, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure I ever said Google was "above reproach", but I don't think Google "resort to putting fear in SEbasic if all else fails"... For one thing, they are too busy reading Daniel Brandt's email, tapping his phone, and manually editing their databases to make sure his sites don't show up as PR10 in their (according to Daniel Brandt) rightful #1 position in the Google SERPs.

minstrel, Oct 4, 2004 IP