1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Update Coming?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Harold, Sep 30, 2004.

1. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Funny stuff Minstrel :D

anthonycea, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  2. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Ummm....stupid question!

What is Google? :confused:

Dodger, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  3. Jackobo007

Jackobo007 Peon

Best Answers:
    You're the weakest link...

Jackobo007, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  4. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    ... sorry, I just had a brain fart! :D

Dodger, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  5. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well shit for brains they say.

Are there any threads on this forum that stay on topic anymore or does Anthony hijack them all and turn them into circuses?

I would never throw you off the forum Anthony for expressing some of your rather unusal theories and positions, but I might vote you off if you just hijack every thread. I like a laugh as much as the next guy, but some subjects deserve being discussed and as soon as you jump in that become almost impossible.

compar, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  6. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    You'd be surprised - The number of times I have got the fear as a result of Google is uncountable(sp?!?!) ;)

SEbasic, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  7. Mel

Mel Peon

Best Answers:
    Then why do some high rankings sites not change position over a long period of time?

The practice of SEO is as varied as those who practice it, and perhaps the great majority of SEOs are only "rankers" who really can not be called marketers.

I can understand someone manipulating a search engines results, but not the search engine itself, thus the term search engine manipulator is at best erroneous.

Mel, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think it was meant as a pretty broad statement and not as literal fact.

Do you feel that SEOs are really optimizing the search engine itself? :)

digitalpoint, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  9. Mel

Mel Peon

Best Answers:
    No I can't Shawn and that's why I consider the phrase to be a non sequitur, and thus kind of a strange description.

Mel, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  10. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    A silver-tongued devil, as always...

Really? I have a very hard time imagine you even smiling, let alone laughing...

I think most people can have a chuckle, digress a bit, and still remember what was being discussed. And when you've pretty much come to the end of a discussion anyway, what's the harm?

minstrel, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    SEO, SEM, SERP/SERPs... there are many odd and not entirely logical terms in the world of website promotion... I'm not sure that SEM or SEO are unusual in that respect. Every industry/trade/profession has its jargon; what's important is that other people in the same profession understand what is meant by the term, that's all.

minstrel, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  12. Mel

Mel Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to disagree Minstrel, IMO one should strive to make his communications understandable to anyone who reads them, and thus using descriptive terms which do not describe what they are meant to is not the best practice.

Mel, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Mel, that's a little like saying I disagree with slang and I don't think people should use it. My point was that jargon, abbreviations, slang terms, and unique words or phrases are common to every profession, trade, or industry. People create and use these terms because they are shortcuts to communication and everyone within the trade or profession understand what they mean. I can't think of a single exception to this. If I am talking to psychiatrists or psychologists, it isn't a matter of concern to me whether plumbers or systems analysts or physicists have the vaguest notion about our conversation -- it is a shortcut to communication among our group. It's the same with terms like SEO or SEM or SERPs when people discuss website promotion and search engines.

minstrel, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  14. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    It is just those wild avatars that I have been using Compar, that could be one answer as to why I go off track when discussing subjects.

I have always been a bad influence on everyone I have come into contact with and I am sorry for that.

It is just the era I came from Bob, we really did not care what folks thought of us because we were bad, we knew it, no one was better, no one was smarter.

When I found out there were guys light years ahead of me that I would never catch up to like Shawn, all of those "I'm bad, they ain't" thoughts were shot down.

Now I have to resort to something since I really am not the sharpest blade in the box, I guess I just use comedy to take the focus off of my lack in the brains department.

I will try to do better down the road as far as staying on topic, but I did not start it, Minstrel and Dodger those new guys did, blame them :)

anthonycea, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    It's true. I'll take full responsibility. Anthony was trying to stay on topic (although not necessarily the topic in this forum) and I distracted him.

minstrel, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  16. Mel

Mel Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess thats fine if you are restricting your communication to only one group, but as I understand forums they are not only directed at a professional group but at newcomers who want to learn.

Secondly if we are going to have SEM as an acronym, does is now stand for search engine marketing or search engine manipulation?

Mel, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Okay. One of the things they need to learn is the jargon or they are going to be well and truly lost...

I think it's pretty clear that "search engine manipulation" was meant as a joke or sarcasm... at least in terms of defining the acronym.

minstrel, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  18. eLeSlash

eLeSlash Active Member

Best Answers:
    Lol 2004 thread are you kidding me ? :))))

eLeSlash, Aug 3, 2011 IP
  19. golfpro1

golfpro1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Google has always said not to worry too much about PR updates, but to focus on getting quality backlinks and building content

golfpro1, Aug 4, 2011 IP