1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

google update 4.23 in progress!

Discussion in 'Google' started by relaxzoolander, Apr 23, 2004.

1. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    How the hell are you always the 1st to know? Does you're wife work at Google?! Just kidding...Thanks for the heads up!
    :D

ViciousSummer, Apr 23, 2004 IP
  2. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been seeing movement on my sites today too...all in the right direction so far :D

GuyFromChicago, Apr 23, 2004 IP
  3. relaxzoolander

relaxzoolander Peon

Best Answers:
    one word

relaxzoolander, Apr 23, 2004 IP
  4. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    12 hours on and the one dc that showed big changes for us yesterday is still down

http://216.239.33.99/

Foxy, Apr 24, 2004 IP
  5. Foxy

Best Answers:
    Foxy, Apr 24, 2004 IP
  6. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    I saw the new updated backinks on the 216.239.41.* for a while yesterday, but they are gone from there now too.

mcdar, Apr 24, 2004 IP
  7. relaxzoolander

relaxzoolander Peon

Best Answers:
    hmmm.....
    backlinks still bouncing in and out.
    anyone seeing any pagerank updates.
    i am not.
    :)

relaxzoolander, Apr 24, 2004 IP
  8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    PageRank is updated on the data centers with the new back link data.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Apr 24, 2004 IP
  9. relaxzoolander

relaxzoolander Peon

Best Answers:
    an ip please.
    :)

[edit] ok...i see new bls on 64.233.161.98.

relaxzoolander, Apr 25, 2004 IP
  10. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:

ViciousSummer, Apr 25, 2004 IP
  11. Atlanta Realtor

Atlanta Realtor Peon

Best Answers:
    I have seen an update of backlinks and PR. The PR is not steady yet though it has bounced from 6 to 7 but the backlinks seem to be holding steady...so far.

Atlanta Realtor, Apr 25, 2004 IP
  12. relaxzoolander

relaxzoolander Peon

Best Answers:
    thats not part of the dream right?
    because that is a very good possibility....
    ...its one of the dangers of posting with signature links if you site is not strong yet. :eek:
    [on a forum with strong pr.]

relaxzoolander, Apr 25, 2004 IP
  13. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe you need to start an affiliate program to entice him to sign up for it and send you referrals?!? ;-)

alek

hulkster, Apr 25, 2004 IP
  14. Foxy

Best Answers:
    But the forum ranking higher is good

It drags you up more quickly - the fact that the forum is there first is because it is bigger and it gets trawled more quickly and the "weight" it adds moves you.

Hehe!

Go search on Weber BBQs and you will see that Shawn is about 5+6 and I am threatening 17+18 [or 53 depending on datacentre] but a week or so ago we both were nowhere - my site didn't even have more than 11 pages [most with nothing on - basically still the same] but I added in some pages specifically to go for Weber BBQs :)

Foxy, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  15. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    It's somewhat discouraging to read all these reports of increased PR. My site has added a few backlinks, some presumably of decent PR, it continues to be refreshed daily with actual page changes to over 15 to 20 thousand pages, and while I was once as high as #21 for my keywords, in this round I slid back, to #42 (with no PR change)--but, curiously, am slowly starting to creep back up again, having gotten to about #37.

Frankly, it makes zero sense to me.

(Meanwhile, Yahoo has, week in and week out, nailed me to the #18 spot, with which I am reasonably satisfied, and would be more so did they not have one long-dead site and two grossly obvious SE spams above me.)

Over the weekend, I took another long-ignored site of mine, which Google has as #247 for its highly competitive keyword "baseball" (and Alexa as #5,065,223), and did a massive re-do with--for the first time--some SEO concepts in mind. It already has a large bunch of links, though of unknown PR, and I will be seeking more. It will be very interesting to seewhat results as time goes by.

[If anyone wants to look, the site is highboskage.com]

Owlcroft, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  16. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not the PR of the links that matters it is the anchor text. If the links don't use good anchor text they may bump your PR but they will do nothing for your relevance rating.

Google put sites in the SERPs based on relevance not PR. When are people going to wake up to this?

compar, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  17. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    That seems to deny that PR has any meaning or value whatever save as a pretty little colored bar in the Google Directory, a conclusion I doubt.

If a page with PR 1 links to me with my keywords as anchor text, and a page of PR 8 links to me with a basically keyword-irrelevant phrase, does the former mean much more than the latter in assigning SERP? Does it mean more at all? If so, what is PR used for?

Mind, the very name of my site has my keywords in it; but not every webmaster uses a site's name as anchor text. I don't doubt that Google gives some importance to the anchor text, though I consider that a failing in Google's algorithm, as it makes the apparent relevance of a page to a topic wholly dependent on the whims and wits of persons quite beyond any site-maker's control.

In any event, one reason I have fallen lately may be that a search of either dmoz or the Google Directory now fails to find my site (even though it is still there); from a quick glance at the dmoz forums, it appears that their search has been seriously screwed, possibly non-functional, since their last search-database update some days ago. If that has propagated as a loss--even if temporary--of my (or anyone's) site from all the dmoz-derived pages around the world, it would certainly have an impact on at least PR and possibly SERP. What exquisite timing! (I don't know if the problem is general or limited to this and that odd site, but I'm not alone in being dropped from search results.)

Owlcroft, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  18. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    You are free to doubt it if you like. But just think about it for a couple of minutes. Use your logic rather than you emotion.

PageRank is a number -- nothing more and nothing less -- calculated from all the internal and external links pointing to a given page. The general formula is thought to be 85% of the PR of the linking page divided by the total links on that page. PR is built by both internal and external links. But it is a number derived from an iterative mathematical calculation.

Now what does Google try to return in the SERPs? The answer is they try to return the most relevant page or pages for any particular search term. Now explain to me how they can derive relevance from a PR number. Nowhere in the entire calculation is the subject or relevance of the site considered or brought into the calculation. Nowhere in the calculation is there a keyword or search term related to or associated with the number.

PageRank has nothing to do with relevance. It is a sharing of the PageRank of all the interlinked pages.

Now keep this firmly in your mine. Googles mission in life is to return the most relevant pages for any given search term. But PR has nothing to do with a search term. So how can it possibly be used to choose the pages Google returns in their SERPs?

The thing that Google uses is anchor text. It is anchor text that tells them what the link is about. What the link is about is another way of saying what the link is relevant to. So yes a link from a PR1 or 2 page -- althought there aren't many of those around, as soon as pages start linking their PR goes up -- with anchor text that matches the search term is going to contribute more to the placment in the SERP that a PR8 with no relative term in the anchor text. It just has to. Otherwise Google wouldn't be returning relevant results. They would just be using some popularity measure.

So what is PR used for. I'm sure that a link from a PR8 page using the same anchor text as a link from a PR2 page is given a higher relevance score. But not based solely on the PR. PR without anchor text does absolutely nothing for your site except build your PR. And having a high PR score doesn't assure you first place in the SERPs.

compar, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  19. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Also... for every site going up, there is one going down, since it's a measure relative to every other site. Which means even if every site had 50 billion links, some would still be PR0.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  20. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Foxy

go and search for weber bbqs now - you're #7 - pointing to one of these forum threads !!!!

Leeds

leeds1, Apr 27, 2004 IP