1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Traffic Trick

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by technolarity, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andre75

andre75 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes the image comes from Google but Google doesn't own the copyright. The creator of the image does. If you hotlink the image form Googles servers, good luck then. They will catch on with this even faster and I don't have to do anything. However I am not sure thats true (need to try it with one of mine and see if it requests it from my server).
    So let me set you straight: Its not their (Google's) image in the first place. Further, if you check hotlink protection via .htaccess there is always an exception for images.google.com, meaning that you explicitly allow google to hotlink (makes me think the image is being served from my server).
    I also agree that google themselves scrape and hotlink like crazy, but at least they drive traffic to my site, so I am o.k. with it (in fact I explicitly allow it). Anyone who asks me for permission and puts a link up can hotlink my images too.

andre75, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  2. scriptdude

scriptdude Banned

Best Answers:
    ok im a believer im getting google hits from the niche my pics are in thank you very much;) took about 12hours to start

scriptdude, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  3. Xoligy

Xoligy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes so your arguments for wasting your bandwidth are stupid, and as for the copyrights, Google doesn't own the image to the copyrights in the first place, but I don't see you moaning at them.

... and no Google doesn't hotlink, it caches the image. Hence the reason why some images turn up 404s yet the Google image still works.

Also, I'm pretty sure the site does not own the copyrights to Mr. Bean in the first place.

Xoligy, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  4. andre75

andre75 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, maybe the BW argument is stupid but not the copyright.
    You are just saying stealing from a thief is o.k. regardless of the rights of the original owner.
    Someone who steals my images is a thief but if YOU steal from him its o.k. or what? My copyright has expired with the first theft?
    Go ahead and built all your sites with stolen images. Heck, why not write a little php program that pulls 1 Mio of those on the fly from Google.
    That should get you at least 20Mio hits right?
    Wonder how long it will last until they shut you down.

andre75, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  5. Xoligy

Xoligy Active Member

Best Answers:
    But if you stole the image in the first place, you're not the one to complain about me stealing the image off you. I doubt you own copyrights to Mr Bean, and I'm pretty sure the owners of the copyrights will encourage promotion of it.

Xoligy, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  6. andre75

andre75 Peon

Best Answers:
    Why do you bring up Bean? I am not talking about that specific image and I haven't stolen any image, ever.
    However I own copyright to a lot of images and if they get stolen I get cranky since they are neither cheap nor easy to replicate.
    And no, I don't encourage promotion if that means my image gets stolen but I get no credits for it.
    There are many legit uses and Google for instance gives full credit by linking to my site, however you do not. Thats the difference. Why is it so hard to understand?
    I can only speculate that you are from a country where copyright is treated a bit different.
    Be my guest and hotlink an image that belongs to Reuters or Getty and see what happens. I wonder if they "encourage promotion of their images" in the way that you simply slap it on your site (Oh did I mention Reuters charges abotu $60-$80 for a low res image)?.
    How about I head over to your site and copy all content and promote your site in that I simply put the content on my site calling it my own without even linking to you? Would you still consider it "promoting your site"?
    You can choose to ignore my warning, I couldn't care less. I am simply trying to show you that what you are doing can have legal consequences. It's your choice to ignore my warning and lose your adsense account.

andre75, Mar 28, 2007 IP
    mjewel likes this.
  7. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    I had to pay $3000 the other week to a guy whose photo we had accidentally used on one of our sites. Some guy emailed the photo to us without mentioning he had stolen it from somebody else.

mad4, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  8. Xoligy

Xoligy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Read the actual article before moaning about him stealing your copyrights. He doesn't say go steal a Getty copyright image, he says a common image (like Mr Bean). You're completely over exaggerating everything. I'm not using adsense, I'm not using this technique, and I couldn't care less if someone links to me with my image (in fact, please do!!). I usually pay for that kind of stuff!!

This technique would be perfect for things such as Xbox websites, where there are lots of widely used images available on Google images.

Xoligy, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  9. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Positive rep given to technolarity:)
    Very nice of you to share your secret,
    I am definately going to do it.
    Whether it is considered to be a shady practice
    depends alot on how you go about it.
    I think you guys just need to be creative
    and use the information in a way that will be beneficial
    for all concerned.
    For example, I own a site that has erotic stories.
    I could post some images of books that have erotic stories,
    and I would also be happy to link to site so they can purchase.
    In return, I will get some free traffic.
    I like the idea, Thanks:)

Rebecca, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  10. andre75

andre75 Peon

Best Answers:
    WTF? Is this so hard to understand. Some of my images rank number 1 for some terms and are thus "common images". I am not sure if Getty images are indexed or not, but the bottom line is this:
    The OP does not even mention not to violate copyright. Obviously copyright is completely alien to you since you cannot even understand the concept.
    Why don't you read Mad4's post and maybe before you blurt out your next reply try to understand it.
    So please go and steal. Maybe I will be getting $3k from you the next time.
    Just because an Image is common doesn't make it public domain. Someone still created it and this person can enforce his/her copyright. This fact doesn't change even if the image is plastered all over the net already (just means they can send more letters from their attorneys). Just because Reuters sold an image 1000 times and you see it everywhere, doesn't mean you can put it on your site too without paying Reuters. Do it and see their Lawyers spawn out like flies on a summer day.
    Just because 100000 people copied an mp3 from Britney Spears doesn't make it legal all of a sudden.
    I don't get how you cannot understand this simple concept.

andre75, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  11. technolarity

technolarity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just to be on safer side remove the images if you get contacted by a legal authority .

Most probably the original image rankings wont get affected , they would be promoted .

technolarity, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  12. andre75

andre75 Peon

Best Answers:
    Aehm, that doesn't do it though, since they will most likely fine you for damages already done + request you remove the images right away.

andre75, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  13. technolarity

technolarity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Yes you are right .

I dont want to get myself included on wether this is legal or not ? but i just exposed the trick and i did my job .

Those image copyright violations have been done for a long time and that cant be stopped .

I dont want to violate any terms .

Will add copyright thing too in manual .

Thank You

technolarity, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  14. fuse-box

fuse-box Peon

Best Answers:
    WTF!!!...everybody is running around and shouting... making a big deal..
    let's all give it a try see if it'll work for all of us...
    this is a bit confusing but let's all follow the directions and see if we get anywhere with it...probebly google will ban it after sometimes if it's true

fuse-box, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  15. Xoligy

Xoligy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes because advertising someone's site for free is really damaging to them.

Xoligy, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  16. andre75

andre75 Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't get it. How does it advertise my site if you steal an image from me and noone knows its mine? I don't have the urls visible on all my images. Even if a million people see an image I own, not a single one will end up on my site unless you put a link there or tell everyone its mine. None of you guys said you would do that (in fact its not in the example either).

So by your argument, scraper sites are advertising wikipedia, even if they don't give a link back? Tell that Google. I am sure they won't ban those sites anymore now that they know what good thing they are doing.

Hilarious. Are you a comedian?

andre75, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  17. kojakfilth

kojakfilth Notable Member

Best Answers:
    thanks will try this google trick and see if its really work.

kojakfilth, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  18. temujin

temujin Peon

Best Answers:
    there seems to be some debate whether this is okay to use or not. if only someone could get in touch with a google employee , then we'd know for sure.

temujin, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  19. Xoligy

Xoligy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes I am as it happens. Are you an idiot?

Although the original article doesn't say it, I'm pretty sure most people with sense will link back and email the owner to see if it's ok. It would take a fool (or you) to reject free advertising.

Anyway, it's up to the people doing it whether they want to break the law. Your mindless rants about what could happen aren't going to force them not to. End of argument. I've added you to more ignore list so you'll just be arguing with yourself.

Xoligy, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  20. pondlife

pondlife Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice, I like the idea. Can't see how it drives more traffic though? ...It must be something to do with the way that Google rates links back to Google?

pondlife, Mar 30, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.