1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Toolbar

Discussion in 'Google' started by Help Desk, Jun 4, 2004.

How many people use the Google Toolbar? Out of those people how many use the extended functionality of it (anything other than basic searching)?

Help Desk, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  2. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    I never use the basic searching.

I use it for the PR, the dmoz listing thing, the cached page, and the backlinks.

disgust, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  3. stephfoster

stephfoster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use it occasionally; however, I use Netscape, so when I use the toolbar, it means I have to switch over to Explorer. Not an everyday occurrance, just when I want to see something like page rank.

stephfoster, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  4. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    What happened to SEOGuru's post?
    Eh.

I use the toolbar's search area all the time. you can drag and drop text in there. I use the PR, the DMOZ, the Backlinks, from time to time I'll use Translate to English. I use the voting buttons, even though they probably don't do anything. I use the drop down to search Google images sometimes, I use the BlogThis button. The thing I use most is the text highlighter/go to keyword button. If I search something like 802.11g networks and I want to know how many times it is on the page I am at, I'll click on the highlighter and get a rough idea of the density. Or if there is one instance of a word I am looking for, I can click the word and BAM! the toolbar takes me to the word and highlights it for me.

I can't surf as fast without the Google Toolbar. :D

Such Great Heights, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's over here.

digitalpoint, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  6. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I do not use it at all, I downloaded it about a year ago and took it off the same day, for some reason it SLOWED DOWN my surfing, has anyone else noticed the load the bar put on them?

I have used the ALEXA toolbar, I like it because it gives a hell of a lot of related links.

Now I have made major shit out of the fact that the spyware scanners (lavasoft adware and some of the others profile ALEXA but not GOOGLE toolbar) I have pressed Lavasoft on their forums on this issue.

You can see the controversial thread at their forum, it got a hell of a lot of attention.

They closed the thread when it got heated right away, so I hit a major nerve with them.

My contention with them was that they were keeping Google out of the spyware profiles because of a conflict of interest.

If you look on the Google recommended spyware industry standards page they list ADAWARE and SPYBOT at the bottom of the page, a clever move on Google's part, seems like a big bribe to me. "Lets send millions of customers to these spyware software makers so they never add us to the profile".

I have a page on my website on this if anyone is interested.

anthonycea, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  7. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    oh boy. good luck finding it.

Such Great Heights, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  8. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah, so you voted me down the tubes too, I know that Such Great Heights.

You and VS conspired to get me banned, you voted my live linking down the tubes, thanks alot. Well if you dish it out, I guess you have to be able to take it.

Glad you are posting SGH

:eek:

anthonycea, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  9. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I use it on my laptop for looking up PR, I do like the search box and use it alot. The pop-up blocker is a bonus.

debunked, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  10. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I adore the pop-up blocking, pagranking, searching, text highlighting/searching and the quick news and dictionary.com links. I have also just started using "Search This Site" and the backlinks portion. Once I changed my ways and actually started using it, one feels more integrated with the interenet.

It's difficult to teach a old dog new tricks, but when one finally get's used to it.... nice!

Help Desk, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  11. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    http://www.searchwars.squarespace.com/display/ShowPage?moduleId=16431

In the above page you will find a link for a PC Magazine article on the toolbar,
    Find the paragraph "are toolbars and Gmail spyware" and you will find the PC Magizine article on the Google toolbar.

Sorry the link is not live, the membership here has bannished me to the burning hell of no live links, so you will have to cut and paste the link to read the article.

anthonycea, Jun 5, 2004 IP
  12. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Does anyone here use Mozilla? Built-in almost everything the Google Toolbar does except, of course, the proprietary Google stuff. But I can get PR online elsewhere.

Owlcroft, Jun 5, 2004 IP
  13. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I use it with the extra Search UK button. Also for PR, backlinks, cached snapshots, blocking pop ups and I find the on page search with your search KW topright very handy to jump to the action.

T0PS3O, Jun 6, 2004 IP
  14. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    I use mozilla, but only occasionally.

I generally use IE just because that's what most of my visitors will be using, plus I can see PR/etc with the toolbar from google and alexa

disgust, Jun 6, 2004 IP
  15. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    I use the toolbar all the time mainly to search google .. pr and the pop-up blocking is a plus.

As for the spyware bit ... the toolbar does ask if you want to send info to google when u r installing it ... if you said no and it still sent info i would be very surprised and concerned.

payoutwindow, Jun 6, 2004 IP
  16. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Does Google say what they do with this data?

Help Desk, Jun 7, 2004 IP
  17. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    When enabled to show the Page Rank Gauge they know every page view while you surf. They use the information (to improve your surfing and the search engine) to target relevant ads back at users and to give Google real time information as to what sites are being clicked on.

I would think that they also use this data to improve Page Rank. Some think Page Rank is a outdated technology. But Google says that it is the foundation of the search engine ALGO's.

So if they keep folks looking at Page Rank, they also keep the toolbar information collection going.

anthonycea, Jun 7, 2004 IP
  18. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Voted you down the tubes? how?

VS and I didn't conspire to get you anything. :confused:
    You crazy.
    I guess your right ... so I better be able to take it.
    You got me good.

Thanks.

Such Great Heights, Jun 7, 2004 IP
  19. vinyl

vinyl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use toolbar when Im at home, on the job, I could get fired if I go into Win :)

vinyl, Jun 7, 2004 IP
  20. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    hulkster, Jun 9, 2004 IP