1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google to Webmasters: Reciprocal Linking will get you BANNED!

Discussion in 'Google' started by secgeek, Aug 11, 2007.

1. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    well, whatever he is talking about, it's just the past. I do care about the future (reciprocal links), not the past.

wokaka, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  2. MJS341

MJS341 Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO this is very bad... I have seen a lot of blog posts/articles about this...

Look, a lot of webmasters have blogged/posted about this:

www.endgamepr.com/blog/2007/08/08/google-appears-to-have-banned-reciprocal-linking/

www.esotericlabs.com/search-engine-optimization-v2/google-to-webmasters-reciprocal-linking-will-get-you-banned.htm

www.tw3o.com/2007/08/16/google-no-more-fancy-link-schemes/

www.dotcult.com/banned-for-reciprocal-linking/

-----

i guess we shouldnt really focus on one search engine which is google, we should optimize for other SEs as well.

MJS341, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  3. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah but how? I think MSN can't give me much traffic, and Yahoo's position result is very fluctuative.

wokaka, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  4. awiekupo

awiekupo Peon

Best Answers:
    Same scenario digg and looks what happen now? Everyone is running away from them. Just because few people report of some site and the whole domain is banned.

I dont see any clear way on how they are going to deal with this. What if I go spread the links of my competitor and report about it to Google. Good idea huh? Imagine that.. some unknown people have the power to crush your site. Site that you have build with your own sweat and hard work gone just like that because some who dont like your site, go ahead and posting crazily about trading links all over the forum and report it to them...

Cheers!
    Sha

awiekupo, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  5. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you 100% and have been saying this for years.

Free organic results are a free lunch and I like free lunch:D

Businesses forecast the future by analyzing past trends to make decisions about products and projects.

Any link scheme is in violation of Google webamster guidelines.

If you are not "excessively exchanging links" than this does not appy to you.

I see a few posters bitchin' and moanin' the old sob story [Google is a monopoly]

I'm pointing out that Google has had a lot of help from Yahoo. Yahoo was a portal and gave Google their big break by using Google search. Then when they realized they where cutting their own throat, they went into panic mode and directly or indirectly killed all Google competitors. In a matter of months there was no more fast, altavista, inkomi and overture.

Starbucks and Folgers both sell coffee and are making all the money. The guy growing the stuff is dirt poor. Actually coffee got me involved in the web. I went to one of those Banana Republics and carved out a small coffee plantation with nothing more than a god, guts, guns, a machete and a donkey.

I learned the hard way what any poor little Colombian or Indian spammer already knows. You can make a whole hell of a lot more money on the web than growing coffee for Starbucks or Folgers.

Reciprocal linking still works but I wouldn't do it to an extent that Google decides to do a "hand job" on me.

bogart, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  6. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    bogart, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  7. harrysmith

harrysmith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was surprised to see what Google had mentioned at above page :
    " In addition, submit your site to relevant directories such as the Open Directory Project and Yahoo! "
    They are marketing for Yahoo too;)

harrysmith, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  8. Waffleguy

Waffleguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google is becoming more like microsoft every day

Waffleguy, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  9. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    bogart, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  10. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sem-Advance, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  11. richweb2007

richweb2007 Peon

Best Answers:
    exactly...

richweb2007, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  12. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Right three way links will work.

People think google engineers are stupid....:rolleyes:

13. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Saw your post on webmasterworld a while back.

You have made a good point that a link building spree and exceeding the averages with trip a filter.

bogart, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  14. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Thank you.

I also think that the only way Google could decipher "excessive reciprocal linking" is by tripping the filters...

More and more there seems to be edges people can push... and like anything if they go too far... it comes back to bite them.

More evidence for slow & steady.....

15. Blogspotter

Blogspotter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ha ha ha :)

People still don't see that 3 ways are more obvious than 2 ways.

Two way can even be perceived as innocent, or even for traffic exchange, where as THREE WAYS are Directly "At Google Engineer's" Face.

@ Bogart: Interesting Profile, you got, and completely understand about the spammer thing.

To the Thread:

Anyway I don't know who does excessive reciprocals except for the Realestate guys and even they have stopped, last time I heard. Google never Looked at reciprocals with a Smiley, only now they are putting it up on the Guidelines since people obviously didn't listen.

But Google allows some reciprocals, as long as they are relevant and are not used excessively. Google still loves a Resource page with relevant Links, and if you are relevant to those resource, they will also link back obviously, and google would award you :)

Blogspotter, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  16. shaunclark

shaunclark Peon

Best Answers:
    Google themselves advocates paid and exchanged linking even though they tell all of us not to do it. See an example screen shot below of one of the "Ads by Google" running on a Link Exchange website. These are Link Exchange advertisers approved by Google. These Link Exchanges charge money for links to be pointed to a website.

[​IMG]

shaunclark, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  17. Blogspotter

Blogspotter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ALL THEY ARE TRYING IS TO KEEP THE QUALITy of the organic SERP better so that they can sell such advertisements more and more..

text link ads might have been burried in serp, but their ad appears in the top..

Blogspotter, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  18. Blinky82

Blinky82 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Blinky82, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  19. davewashere

davewashere Active Member

Best Answers:
    The more I think about this, the more it make sense to me. I've seen too many websites with sections just for link exchanges, where they'll pretty much put anyone's link who links back to them, regardless of quality. Google wants the quality websites on top, so they are going to eliminate those who are trying to game their system. Does that mean that some quality websites that are currently also running massive link exchanges will be punished? Yes, probably. But the majority of those hurt will be those who are obviously taking advantage of Google by getting links back to their site that are undeserved.

davewashere, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  20. John Kain

John Kain Peon

Best Answers:
    Well Google is really going to make it difficult for sites to do shortcuts to get Page Ranks.

John Kain, Aug 20, 2007 IP