1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google to lose exclusive rights to PageRank in 2011

Discussion in 'Google' started by rive0108, Dec 29, 2010.

For those not aware Stanford actually owns the patent to "PageRank", and Google has exclusive licensing rights to it- but only until 2011.
    The exclusive licensing rights from Stanford will expire shortly, and with It I think you will see the last of Google's Page Rank. With the advent of Google's new Search Engine (caffeine and Instant Search), I think they are effectively phasing it out.

Form 10-k (2009) filed with United States Securities and Exchange Commission
    http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Google_(GOOG)/Filing/10-K/2009/F1931284

Page 15:

rive0108, Dec 29, 2010 IP
    longcall911 likes this.
  2. operationivy

operationivy Peon

Best Answers:
    Perhaps this is why we haven't seen a pagerank update since april 2010

operationivy, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  3. xjackx

xjackx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Like said in the google forum:

"Internal pagerank is a notion Google's own secret algorithm. You cannot know how it's computed. Maybe that's part of the patent or not. A patent is basically a concept. Its technological implementation is another matter altogether and there are very good chances that you will not find that information freely available anywhere (e.g. as open source) even after the patent itself expires."

xjackx, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  4. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree that G is phasing it out. The original concept was innovative for its time, but now, PR has been abused to the point of being worthless.

I am very curious to see how they will handle the toolbar. My bet is that they'll provide a whole new layout, new icons, new features and they'll hope that no one notices that the green bar is gone. :)

longcall911, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  5. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There been all signs Google to drop PR.

May be its time to say good bye:)

webcosmo, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  6. Aquarezz

Aquarezz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    True, but some kind of page rating really helps bringing up good websites on top of google and bad websites lower -- their system just didn't function proper anymore, but that could be changed.

I didn't know about this actually, good to know ;)

Aquarezz, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  7. giorgioarmani

giorgioarmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bye bye PageRank!

It was great while it lasted :)

giorgioarmani, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  8. Techie Geek

Techie Geek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow I can't believe you all.

Pagerank is the main way for Google to "find" the overall trust flowing from links to a single page. Just because the patent expires or they lose their exclusive rights doesn't mean they're going to stop looking at links. (And it's even more stupid to think this is going to make them redesign a toolbar) All the other search engines are also measuring page trust in a way similar to "pagerank".

Pagerank is one of the better ranking signals. It can't just be "ignored". If Google decides to stop "using" it that means they'll stop assigning trust to links based on the trust of a page.

It's just a term. You're all basically saying "Google is going to stop looking at links to compute page authority."

Techie Geek, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  9. rive0108

rive0108 Peon

Best Answers:
    See, thats were you are mistaken.

When Google removed the PageRank from webmaster tools, they said this:
    Furthermore, Google "caffeine" is designed in part to detect link manipulations, and assign "link value", it then updates in real time the SERPs and is reflected in Google's "Instant Search" it also assigns "value" to a link dependent on the speed- Those that are slow, engage in "link manipulation", or otherwise are assigned little value, will see their value in the SERPs eroded. That is the way Google appears to be doing it now.

Caffiene operates similiar to the Internal Pagerank, and external ranking is shown in Ranking of SERPs and Instant Search results.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
    rive0108, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  10. reihaan

reihaan Member

Best Answers:
    Nice information dude i like the way you guided thanks again:)

reihaan, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  11. xjackx

xjackx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Pagerank is still alive.

PageRank is not dead. As I mentioned above, we continuously update our internal PageRank, and for the time being we'll continue to update the Toolbar PageRank occasionally.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters/thread?tid=25ddb903338c4cb0&hl=en&start=40

:)

xjackx, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  12. Techie Geek

Techie Geek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google Caffeine was designed to return results faster from faster pages.

I agree with Susan. If she came to DigitalPoint she'd have a heart attack. 90% of the people here are trying to beat the system with some link exchanges or link wheels or directory submissions or other stuff. Do you realize how few people are actually "whitehat" here on DigitalPoint?

Google doesn't want people to focus on increasing their pagerank. Google wants people to focus on improving their websites. They want people to focus on adding more unique and helpful content. They want people to speed up their sites. They want people to earn links because of the quality of the content they have created. That's why they removed that pagerank meter from the Webmaster Tools.

Techie Geek, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  13. iamasuccess

iamasuccess Peon

Best Answers:
    How does the pr going away effect the backlinks our sites are getting ?

iamasuccess, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  14. simple007

simple007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    now this is the truth behind no PR update.. .Thx for sharing with us....

simple007, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  15. marcbrown2050

marcbrown2050 Peon

Best Answers:
    O ya ya..you're absolutely right. That's why my site PR is not upgrading.

marcbrown2050, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  16. rohnsmith

rohnsmith Active Member

Best Answers:
    the changes Google has developed are being horrible some of the webmasters .and yes it may be the possible reason for last Pr update..

rohnsmith, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  17. deltagci

deltagci Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe Google started update process today!

deltagci, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  18. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google lose exclusive rights, but still have the right to use the Pagerank, do I understand correctly?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
    xc06, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  19. sidduz

sidduz Peon

Best Answers:
    I think, Google will extend the rights for sure!
    Because of the PR scale, Google have been relying and working on the alg to predict the quality of the Websites and all. In short Google have acted as Dad of Internet by keeping this PR in hands.....

sidduz, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  20. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Here's the relevant section (in red type) of Google's 2009 report to the SEC — http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Google_(GOOG)/Filing/10-K/2009/F1931284

The first version of the PageRank technology was created while Larry and Sergey attended Stanford University, which owns a patent to PageRank. The PageRank patent expires in 2017. We hold a perpetual license to this patent. In October 2003, we extended our exclusivity period to this patent through 2011, at which point our license will become non-exclusive.

The PageRank patent expires in 2017. Google's license to the patent is perpetual. Google's "exclusivity period" to the patent extends through 2011. So in all cases posters have discussed above, keep in mind that Google holds "exclusivity" to the patent for all of 2011. That's another full year from now.

Jim4767, Dec 30, 2010 IP