1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google the Next Yahoo?

Discussion in 'Google' started by soniqhost.com, Sep 2, 2008.

At what point does good spread it self too thin and lose focus of what made it a great company which is search, with the new browser along with android for the phone, and the number of other products they are working now all require resources in terms of money and time from engineers. I think they are starting to become the next yahoo focusing on way too many things

soniqhost.com, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  2. xXKingdom_SEOXx

xXKingdom_SEOXx Peon

Best Answers:
    As long as they listen to consumer demand they’ll be alright.

xXKingdom_SEOXx, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  3. kanwarjot

kanwarjot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I doubt that they will loose the focus...they have one of the best management teams!! [ I read this some where in strategic management class :p ]

kanwarjot, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  4. soniqhost.com

soniqhost.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Besides Eric Schmidt they really don't have big hitters in terms of management. I wouldn't call them one of the best management teams. What they have is a great product which they are focusing less on maintaining.

soniqhost.com, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  5. WishBone

WishBone Peon

Best Answers:
    As they conquer most number of organic search traffic, they are thinking for better services, a one place that have most services on the web.

WishBone, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  6. e21media

e21media Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Fair point, but I think the significant difference is that Yahoo lacked innovation. Google is a leader and well suited for the internet's new age. I think they are pretty clear on what they are doing, and amidst all the myriad of products still have a clear focus on their direction.

e21media, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  7. tradeya

tradeya Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you are no.1 on one thing, you might want to be on other too, right? These are just one kind of marketing strategies that I have learnt in my class and I think they are doing good. and I also agreed with e21media that google wont be the same as Yahoo as they are more innovative and they got yahoo as the case study. lol

tradeya, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  8. JMapleton

JMapleton Peon

Best Answers:
    Yahoo failed because they changed their core business model. They went from directory search in the mid to late 90s to search engine the early 2000s and then Google came along and did it better.

The only reason Google beat Yahoo they had a better way of crawling the internet and a more simplistic homepage and now that they have so much funding it will be hard for someone else to come and beat them by creating a fresher (by fresher I mean more timely updated) search engine (it takes money to buy servers to crawl the web to update their serps).

JMapleton, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  9. chauffeur

chauffeur Guest

Best Answers:
    i also agree with that. Google came along with much better techniques and ideas, and cleaned up.

chauffeur, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  10. Andymc

Andymc Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, simply, Google gives better search results than Yahoo and MSN do. Also, a much more simple home page, so people can search without having a page full of images and other stuff loading at the same time.

Andymc, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  11. alex_d1

alex_d1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am prety confident that Google will be able to continue being the best and most used search engine in the world, whilst also expanding into other sectors. Though they might have fallen flat on their face with a couple of previous outings, their search engine has gone from strength to strength, and I don't see the launch of Chrome doing anything to deminish that.

Just my opinions though.

Alex

alex_d1, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  12. jamuna

jamuna Active Member

Best Answers:
    well said
    may be true.

jamuna, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  13. msj904

msj904 Guest

Best Answers:
    I would appreciate if they can remain concentrated to the current services that they offer hope they will not merge thw browser and search engine like yahoo.

msj904, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  14. cnwelf

cnwelf Peon

Best Answers:
    cellphone website will be next yahoo

cnwelf, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  15. vjlenin

vjlenin Active Member

Best Answers:
    With everything else said, that just doesnt happen. Yahoo is not google or google yahoo. Google has grown too above Yahoo already and they needn't be the next Yahoo. Google so far now, is the biggest Web thing and is going to be only bigger. I have no idea where Yahoo will end up after MS's IE8 the video of which I just watched. Also, MS is getting tied up with HP and all for higher search volumes and Yahoo is the only thing that gets screwed I guess.

vjlenin, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  16. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Even if they start to become more like yahoo, I think Google home page will still be only a Search Page. As that is the real beauty about google.

I think google will have all the things separate like it have now.

angilina, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  17. app789

app789 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yahoo try to sell the things but as far as google is free no problem

app789, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  18. dolin88

dolin88 Banned

Best Answers:
    yeah google should focus more on their search and advertising. there are many complaints in adsense and adwords but they spent most time developing other products of little use. FF3 have been so heavily marketed by Google but still don't come close to IE with 0 marketing cost.

dolin88, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  19. enous

enous Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    May be , GOogle focus on too many nicle..

enous, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  20. lycos

lycos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you notice carefully, most of their products are still in the beta stage most notably gmail. I think they may reach a point whereby the organization is expanding at too fast rate and slowing losing grip on the market hold. The sign is showing but it will be more evident in time to come.

lycos, Sep 3, 2008 IP