1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Supplemental Index - How to fight it?

Discussion in 'Google' started by nevalex, Nov 16, 2006.

1. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    i got a couple sites like that too, maybe tis because all the sites links are from crappy pages in the supplemental index

ferret77, Nov 18, 2006 IP
  2. a389951l

a389951l Must Create More Content

Best Answers:
    Visio, can you give a clear description what is quality content to help all of us with fighting the supplemental index bug? Better yet give us some examples on your blog of quality content since even your blog has some pages in the supplemental index. I am not clear on how one can tell the difference. Thanks.

a389951l, Nov 18, 2006 IP
  3. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your right I do have some pages supplemental. Most of which are my forum pages(need to change that just always forget to work on it - simple problem), my old contest pages and a few low content pages such as teh google error article. Articles such as this: http://www.1stsearchenginerankings.com/2006/11/17/is-google-a-spam-warehouse/

Are quality pages. Google doesn't just use the word count but relevance here. They use the LSI technology to determine the overall relevance of the page to the rest of the site and related pages which have gotten high backlink volume in the past. They use this to determine its relevance. Most of my articles are directly related to the page and LSI can determine that quite well.

My Google error page went supplemental because there are thousands of articles on it and mine was probably the smallest with the lowest relevancy in googles eyes. I only used it as a joke for my visitors. never intended for it to get google rankings(however it does). You just got to keep in mind whether the topic your writing on has already got alot of articles and if so what can you do to make yours stand out as the best? Keeping it more relevant will do the trick. Also my google error article could have been considered 75% duplicate content because alot of other articles I found after are pretty similar.

visio, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  4. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I don't really think there is any real proof of that is there?

LSI or whatever

ferret77, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  5. a389951l

Best Answers:
    Exactly. We can only guess what google is doing with LSI. People claim things based on hearsay and 2nd had facts.

In terms of supplemental pages, I have tested and seen pages go in and out of the supplemental index and the biggest factor by far is getting trusted links plain and simple - unless you are already a trusted site with lots of great trusted links to your home page and throw in a bit of properly structured navigation for the bots for good measure.

Sure duplicate content is a factor but I have seen dictionary sites with tons of pages indexed that should be considered duplicate content - the difference if the PR, age and incoming links of the site.

a389951l, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  6. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thats your call but they do use LSI. It is a well accepted fact among SEO now.

I agree. Links tell alot. With a certain amount of quality links you can do anything.

visio, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  7. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    really like who? who thinks that? most seos couldn't seo their way out of a wet paper bag in my opinion

8. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Like Aaron Wall: http://www.seobook.com/archives/000657.shtml

He believes it. If he says something it holds alot of weight.

visio, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  9. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    Maybe it holds a lot of weight to you ....

Aarron is a good marketer and good seo but that does not make everything he say the gospel. He hasn't been doing this much longer then I have.

I don't actually see any examples showing proof of what he is talking about, what does repetitve anchor text have to do with LSI?

And if they are using LSI why do I have link farms that still rank great?

10. amnezia

amnezia Peon

Best Answers:
    Some people get pages go supplement because of the way the internal link structure is organised, it might be worth checking that out.

Make sure your pages are accessible by only a few clicks away from the homepage (unless you have very strong backlinks in which case your probably okay)

amnezia, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  11. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LSI has nothing to do with link farms. LSI means in other words related words indexing. It means google tells the relevance of a page by relation. Words such as noodle and pasta are related and google knows that. If they show up on the same page google gets the idea that it is a pasta noodle.

Aaron is well respected among seo as a authority. What he says goes along way not to mention LSI is a proven fact. It is around. Aaron doesn't make ideas up. He onlys says something if he believes it. I know seo who have been doing it for way longer than Aaron but no almost as much as a beginner. Yrs experiance means nothing.

visio, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  12. mattr2110

mattr2110 Active Member

Best Answers:
    What is Supplemental Index?

mattr2110, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  13. a389951l

Best Answers:
    I think the confusion is the post that you pointed to relates LSI to linking and the content on the linked page. Aaron suggests to vary your anchor text realizing that Google is using LSI to relate the backlink anchor text to the page in question.

a389951l, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  14. alien

alien Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    alien, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  15. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:

oh ok, as in use different words for the same meanings

do you actually know anything for yourself or do you just read blogs

like I said aaron maybe a great seo, but I don't really see anything on that page that shows any proof of LSI, as an interesting concept it is

and I don't see you offering much proof either, I am just kind of skeptical on the whole thing

I know, it never does

16. nevalex

nevalex Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you all Guys for participation in in this thread

I have made some conclusions and made a brief summary in this Google Tips Blog

So you are welcome to go there, read it and leave a comment if you agree or disagree, or maybe you would like to share some more useful information with me...

thanx!

nevalex, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  17. mikkom

mikkom Active Member

Best Answers:
    I seriously doubt that. I know Latent Semantic Indexing quite well (I implemented a small scale search engine and LSI was one of the methods I tried) and it's patented - if google would have licenced that then there would be articles about that everywhere.

I do however think that google has created something similar but with the amount of PHD's they hire, they don't need to licence LSI - they will come up with something more specific to their field.

Similar more tunable and more efficient algorithms without patent already exists so why would they bother with patented stuff?

mikkom, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  18. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    Has anyone observed that pages marked Supplemental still rank? I have.

Lexiseek, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  19. mobilebay

mobilebay Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes lots of mine come up when there is very little results in my opinion outlining niches he he due to the index being scarce

mobilebay, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  20. bermuda

bermuda Peon

Best Answers:
    Getting out the pages from being supplemental is different from case to case.

Some will be ok only by changing the title and description, others might need help by a direct links.

bermuda, Dec 1, 2006 IP