1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Super Bowl Logo

Discussion in 'Google' started by Jufcy8200, Feb 5, 2006.

1. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    No, it's because Google is run by a group of nerds who never played football (or any sport) in their life and they probably didn't even watch the game. Don't you guys know? Google claims to be full of tree hugging hippies, hence all the hybrid cars for their employees, etc. Sports doesn't interest them.

jackburton2006, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  2. Deano

Deano Sail away with me.

Best Answers:
    Just going back to the initial google post; maybe they'll do a logo when a californian team makes it to the superbowl.

Deano, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  3. Nadir

Nadir Peon

Best Answers:
    I beg to differ, outside of the US, no one cares about it. On the other side, the World Cup of Soccer or the Olympics games have more viewers.

Nadir, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  4. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, you live in that shell you choose to live in. The Superbowl is a worldwide even, even if you dont think the NFL is. I mean lets be realistic, the NFL Teams send their players to NFL Europe to continue to learn the game. Is nobody watching these guys? I doubt that because if they weren't the NFL would quit using it for a training ground.

Billions of dollars are thrown at this game by advertisers for a reason.

SportsOutlaw, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  5. Toonces51

Toonces51 !@#$%^&*^%#@#$%

Best Answers:
    To be fair, NFL Europe has almost been canned several times, because the NFL doesn't make much (if any) money with the league. But they keep it going because they think it will lead (eventually) to an even broader audience worldwide--even though 5 of the 6 teams currently in NFLE are in Germany.

I have a difficult time believing that 1.3 billion people watched any one event, just because that's over 1/6 of the earth's population, if memory serves. But surely they got more viewers than the Super Bowl does, even though the Super Bowl IS a worldwide event (seems every year they talk about/show all the foreign broadcast teams covering the game).

Toonces51

Toonces51, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  6. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have traveled all around the world. America is the only country that cares at all about NFL Football, super bowl or any other game.

On the reverse, Americans care very little about International Football (Soccer).

I would think that the world cup would have way more viewers on a global scale than the super bowl, because every other country but America cares about it. America is still a fairly low percentage of the worlds population, and although a huge percentage of Americans watch the Super bowl, there are just so many more people that watch the world cup.

Another thing I find funny is how most Americans have no idea who Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, etc, or any other Premier League teams are, or even what the english football league is at all. Americans care about NFL, NBA, and MLB, and thats about it. Naturally we would assume that the biggest sporting event for us is the biggest in the world.

jestep, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  7. Interlogic

Interlogic Peon

Best Answers:
    The only reason I even know there is a superbowl is because they have spoken about it on friends and because there was such a big deal about Janets "niple shot".. Outside of those two things I had never heard of it so to say it's a worldwide event and claim it's bigger than the olympics?

Only Americans could think one of their national sports is bigger than any other event in the world ;)

Interlogic, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  8. jeeplaw

jeeplaw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd beg to differ :) I love the logos they've done previously

http://www.google.com/doodle3.html

jeeplaw, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  9. Deano

Deano Sail away with me.

Best Answers:
    Do you think that they will do a winter olympics one?

Deano, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  10. vprp

vprp Peon

Best Answers:
    I've travelled around the World, too. In the past year, I've spent more than half of it in places such as Hong Kong, Tokyo and Seoul. For the Super Bowl, I was in Seoul and as a football loving American, I watched the game. There was a Korean broadcast crew for the game but I'd say 99% of the Korean population has no idea what the Super Bowl is. I know only one Korean person who knew the Super Bowl was taking place and that's because I told him the night before. Did that compell him to watch? No.

There are a lot of people in America who don't even understand the rules of football, how to score, why the clock stops when, why an extra point only gets one point but a field goal gets 3, etc. I can say abroad, almost no one knows these rules. I can say that a single MLB or NBA playoff game get more viewers than the Super Bowl does here in Korea. One simple reason could be because baseball or basketball is played here so they understand the rules, how the game is played, etc.

In America, I'd say a lot of people who are not football fans still watch the Super Bowl because of the commercials. In Korea, they didn't show the same commercials. I had to go online after to watch those.

vprp, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  11. vprp

vprp Peon

Best Answers:
    Having spent a lot of time abroad, I would say my opinion is that Americans get an undeserved bad reputation most of the time. Of course, I think in this instance, I may agree with you.

In every country I've visited, soccer is the most popular sport. I say this despite football being my favorite sport... or maybe college basketball.

vprp, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  12. Interlogic

Interlogic Peon

Best Answers:
    Hehe, Hence the wink ;)

I don't actually think that badly of Americans.. Even if you did make the same mistake twice at the polls :p *Ducks for cover*

Interlogic, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  13. Perrow

Perrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have 14 channels (which is about average in sweden I think) and none of them even showed the game. I think (don't really know and don't really care) there is a channel I could buy access to that screened the match. I would guess that there were more people playing soccer than watching that game that day, both in sweden (where there's snow and winter now) and world wide.

Perrow, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  14. cellularnews

cellularnews Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't understand why Amercian football players need all that padding etc - would they sue if they broke a finger nail ?

Try a "mans game" - like rugby :p

cellularnews, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  15. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I've never understood that either. Most of the players are pretty big as well.

There is no question that football (soccer here in Aust) is the world game... not NFL :rolleyes:

dcristo, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  16. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And only non-Americans think that everything Americans say is ego driven...

The original page of this thread is about International Football vs the Olympics. Not the Superbowl.

Everyone knows the NFL/Superbowl is a one continent thing.

We're comparing global events. The thread got off track because a few of the non-Americans saw NFL and Football in the same thread and wanted to start that argument again. :D

GeorgeB., Feb 7, 2006 IP
  17. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Because American football players on average weigh over 100 pounds more than their malnurished counterparts :D

Hits are a little more... intense ;)

GeorgeB., Feb 7, 2006 IP
  18. Interlogic

Interlogic Peon

Best Answers:
    Hehe, I already replied to that one:
    :D

Interlogic, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  19. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Touche' ...