1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Sitemaps

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by digitalpoint, Jun 2, 2005.

1. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I saw traffic to pages that were not indexed the day before. Not only that, but when I search for some unique information that is on those pages, Google is showing those pages as being found in the db and are now being found by the consumer... so, yes.

NewComputer, Jun 14, 2005 IP
  2. Perrow

Perrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've seen a good increase in traffic from G after submitting my sitemap, but then again the site's about getting out of the sandbox age so it might just have coincided.

What I did see however was a nice visit from the G-spider that equals some of the first spiderings of the site, it's been hard to get G to spider more than 100-150 pages each week for oh so long. Now they've spidered 1700 in just a few days (well over 150 a day for 6 days straight).

Perrow, Jun 14, 2005 IP
  3. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    NewComputer,

Sorry, I didn't answer that, in notepad, you'd just hit enter. \n is more for perl or php

like echo "blahblah\nblahblah"; Would put a return where the \n is.

nddb, Jun 14, 2005 IP
  4. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Fair enough, that is what I have done and it seems to be working to date.

NewComputer, Jun 14, 2005 IP
  5. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Site Maps do help a lot (at this time). You help the robots spider you better and it does increase your rankings. Everytime I have added site maps to a client's site, I have seen increases in rankings very fast without making any other changes or adding links. It doesn't make a major difference when analyzing each keyword as an individual term but since you have all or most of your pages on it, the overall traffic increases substantially thru pulling you up for pretty much all of them.

Blogmaster, Jun 14, 2005 IP
  6. isaiasd2003

isaiasd2003 Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm just learning how to work with xml, lol. Though the main problem I have with google right now is the fact that I have DIRECT LINKS to my site, though google doesn't recognize it. Anyone know how to get em to recognize?

isaiasd2003, Jun 14, 2005 IP
  7. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    just takes time. you can always check on MSN as they seem to show up faster there. Just becuase they aren't listed doesn't mean google doesn't see them.

ServerUnion, Jun 14, 2005 IP
  8. mizt

mizt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone get an invalid date error?

http://carcommons.com/sitemap.php

Should I copy that information and a make a file with the extension .xml or will good read the php alright?

mizt, Jun 14, 2005 IP
  9. Stin

Stin Guest

Best Answers:
    I dont think that date/time is a valid format. I think u need to replace that T with a space, but I could be wrong.

Stin, Jun 14, 2005 IP
  10. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone found that Post Nuke sites are problematic? My site Viral Auctions has the flat page option ticked so pages have nice easy URLs like this:
    http://viralauctions.com/Article15.phtml

I've made a site map (last week in fact), Google has accepted it and downloaded it several times - however, only 4 pages are indexing:
    site:viralauctions.com

:(

None of the content pages are indexing, does anyone have any idea why? One of them has (since adding the sitemap) but the rest are noticable in their non-showing.

Dio, Jun 15, 2005 IP
  11. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay, as I'm reading it, you give Google a bunch of URLs on your site to crawl, and tell them when you update with new content. However, when I add new content, it usually winds up on a new URL. How does this affect the sitemap, or am I missing something?

egdcltd, Jun 15, 2005 IP
  12. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    you would have to add the new URLs in. Easiest way is to generate from your database if they are dynamic

ServerUnion, Jun 15, 2005 IP
  13. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    That could be a serious pain. Most pages generated are static, and I generate hundreds of new pages a month. How about if I just put in the URLs of the pages that typically link to new pages in the site?

egdcltd, Jun 15, 2005 IP
  14. Stin

Stin Guest

Best Answers:
    uhm the google sitemaker can just crawl your directories if your pages are static. You can have it run every night to update and submit the sitemap.

Stin, Jun 15, 2005 IP
  15. Imran

Imran Notable Member

Best Answers:
    submitted xml sitemap to google as a test for couple of my sites the test resulted in 50-50, one site's pages increased the other sites pages reduced from what google had indexed earlier! srange!

Imran, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  16. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, it's now 9 days since I uploaded my sitemap. For a brand new subdomain with 20K pages. G has just indexed and cache nearly 800 pages. /me quite pleased with that, I'm used to waiting about a month for a proper crawl to start.

jlawrence, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  17. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Wondering whether there are some people that see significant changes since they added the sitemaps? I mean like a increase of number of pages like 30-40 % .

I found a nice sitemap for phpbb users. All credit goes to pentapenguin for creating Google phpbb sitemap .

For further info please check the phpbbstyles website.

crazyhorse, Jun 18, 2005 IP
  18. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
  19. Davilac

Davilac Peon

Best Answers:
    And I in one website only have We couldn't find the Sitemap at the location you provided. Please make sure the Sitemap URL is correct and resubmit your Sitemap.

Davilac, Jun 18, 2005 IP
  20. eduardomaio

eduardomaio Peon

Best Answers:
    That's because your .xml or .gz file isn't there. Manually run the script and check if the file is created or not.

eduardomaio, Jun 18, 2005 IP