1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Sitemaps, anybody using?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by Discreet, Jul 18, 2005.

1. toocoolforschool

toocoolforschool Peon

Best Answers:
    I used it on a site with a ton of content, and googlebot does come around, but I haven't even appeared in the index yet. At this point I'm convinced Google has banned me (for whatever reason) so I'm going to stop worrying about the site they refuse to let in. I just submitted a second one for a new site (sent it in yesterday, it's come around to spider) we'll see if my second site gets in or not.

toocoolforschool, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  2. boohlick

boohlick Banned

Best Answers:
    How old is your site? Maybe you are using some black hat methods in your site optimization?
    Thats why google dont indexed it

boohlick, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  3. Lynn Terry

Lynn Terry Peon

Best Answers:
    Lynn Terry, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  4. toocoolforschool

toocoolforschool Peon

Best Answers:
    Um, no. I don't know what "black hat methods" is and I wouldn't know where to figure out or implement. I switched domain names, moved content to another site, and I think it's penalizing me for duplicate content. It's been almost two months and Google is still showing about 1000 pages from my old site, mostly threads for a forum that no longer exists, and haven't existed for almost two months. For a company that's dominating the world of search engines, sometimes Google can be pretty stupid and clueless.

toocoolforschool, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  5. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    i really feel your pain there toocool - if you manage to sort your situation out, please let me know how you got unbanned!

bradley, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  6. toocoolforschool

toocoolforschool Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm trying, man, I'm trying hard, but Google doesn't seem to listen, or if they listen, they just don't give a crap.

toocoolforschool, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  7. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    I just started using Google sitemaps for a new site (build about 3 weeks ago), I'm using the Wordpress Sitemap from Arne Brachhold , easy to use.

Submitted it to google sitemaps, after a couple of days google started downloading the sitemap. Now Google caches the homepage of the site almost every day, it's not indexing the other pages but the site is fairly new. I'm sure that will come soon.

Overall, I'm pleased with google caching the site frequently.

I'll post more info about my findings if the sitemap will influence search engine rankings.

WhatiFind, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  8. shareaway

shareaway Peon

Best Answers:
    if you're submiting a sitemap index for multiple sitemaps on one site, do you submit just the index, or the index and the sitemaps?

shareaway, Jul 24, 2005 IP
  9. toocoolforschool

toocoolforschool Peon

Best Answers:
    Huh? Your index page (main page) should be in the sitemap. You just submit the sitemap. Is that what you're asking?

toocoolforschool, Jul 24, 2005 IP
  10. seoindia

seoindia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How to create sitemap (xml) page for a website. Currently i have the sitemap page in html format too. And also it would be freat if somebody can tell me how do i create rss feed for my website whose all pages are in html

seoindia, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  11. isaiasd2003

isaiasd2003 Guest

Best Answers:
    I've used and tested sitemap affects, much more, recently after further research. When using sitemaps, G will likely exclude any site with the same ip, etc. Like if you make 2 sites, with somewhat similar content, and even many times without similarity, G will leave out the second one or the one submitted after the first same ip - different site - sitemap submission. Different ips obviously aren't affected in this way, and in many cases are benefitted depended on your ip type, host, title, and all that other crap G makes you do to rank well. Both of which I've experienced the affect of lmao, very painfully I might add. :eek: So I made the mistake of submitting all my sitemaps to G with sites having the same ip, causing 2 of my sites to be left out. The first time I used sitemap submission it worked GREAT! SO GREAT I wanted to submit em all! Though I now know its now in my best favor to submit all of em. So just keep what I said in mind, before doing stuff like I did. :cool:

isaiasd2003, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  12. clpounds

clpounds Peon

Best Answers:
    I created a sitemap and it worked fairly well. The pages were indexed within a few days after inserting them into the xml file.

clpounds, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  13. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    When you say "indexed", do you mean totally indexed, with title, description and cache?

fryman, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  14. clpounds

clpounds Peon

Best Answers:
    Generally the links are there within a day or two and fully indexed with description and all a couple of days after that.

It was actually quite a nice surprise.

clpounds, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  15. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    I've updated my sitemap twice with Google now. Before I used sitemap, I was usually hovering around 5,500 to 6,500 pages indexed. Now it's gone up to over 9,000.

egdcltd, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  16. toocoolforschool

toocoolforschool Peon

Best Answers:
    What do you guys use to create your xml file?

toocoolforschool, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  17. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    I used this tool: http://enarion.net/google/

egdcltd, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  18. Jim_Westergren

Jim_Westergren Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yesterday I decied to try it and made 4 XML sitemaps for my bigger sites.

I found a very good site making these maps:

sitemapbuilder.net

Just insert the URL and click. I actually downloaded their free software and it is excellent. Very simple.

Will be interesting to see how it goes, 2 of the sites are new and not yet indexed. Hope this will help.

Jim_Westergren, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  19. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    Lynn Terry: "There's a great little plugin for WordPress if any of you run WP sites. Andre Chaperon has a video tutorial about the free plug-in on his blog that is cool:
    Andre has a nice little blog them. Thanks for noting. He has a link here now.
    www.skaffe.com/viewCat/83672

bobmutch, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  20. toocoolforschool

toocoolforschool Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks bro will give it a go. I've been using sitemapspal.com but it's a pretty weak xml builder -- basically just links on the main page, it never travels beyond.

toocoolforschool, Jul 26, 2005 IP