1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

google sitemap returning pages that never existed?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by northpointaiki, Jan 11, 2006.

I've posted on the google sitemaps group, but wanted to get the ear of the community here.

Anyone know why google sitemaps keeps showing "general HTML errors" for 404's, for pages which never existed in the first place? For example, I am getting a host of 404 errors for www.domain.com/about, www.domain.com/contact, etc.

when these pages belong to my blog, a directory on my root domain, and which show as: www.domain.com/outblog/about, etc.

Why are these pages being confused, and errors returned?

northpointaiki, Jan 11, 2006 IP
  2. tork

tork Peon

Best Answers:
    I had a site link to me and they mistyped the url, and that showed up as error

tork, Jan 11, 2006 IP
  3. dave487

dave487 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have lots of 404 errors in google sitemaps like mysite.com/msn.com and mysite.com/cnn.com

If anybody can shed any light on these I would be grateful, I don't and never have linked to these sites......

dave487, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  4. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Somehow, it seem that google sitemaps is mixing my blog and site file up. In the past, I have done redirects, but this is like hitting a moving target. If anyone has any suggestions for systemic approaches, it'd be appreciated.

northpointaiki, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  5. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Is your sitemap generated from your server logs? That could be the problem.

RectangleMan, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  6. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    No, the sitemap.xml was originally automatically generated. Since then, I have manually made all updates. Actually, though these aren't sitemaps.xml errors - which the sitemaps data page shows as a 404 general http error (sitemaps), as if to say, "hey, idiot, you told us to crawl this page, via your sitemaps. That did happen once, and I was an idiot - I put in my sitemaps.xml a page which no longer existed.

No, these errors are just included on the sitemaps data. Again, it seems somehow google is putting some blog pages on my main site's directory structure, which doesn't exist.

northpointaiki, Jan 12, 2006 IP