1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Sitemap Question

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by noniman, Nov 2, 2005.

I started using Google sitemap several weeks ago. It’s all working fine apart from several HTTP errors for pages which do not exist anymore or have been renamed for nearly a year.
    After reading through this forum, I decided to put some permanent redirects in place via the .htaccess file. I now ended up with over 30 redirects not all pointing to the same file and just wonder if this amount of redirects is classed as spam or a bad thing to do in general.
    If so, what other options do I have to get these pages out of Google’s system or shouldn’t I worry about them at all since I was reading somewhere that Google will eventually take pages it can’t find out of there system anyway.

noniman, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  2. seo-ireland

seo-ireland Peon

Best Answers:
    Google shouldn't have a problem with the quantity of "301" permanent redirects. This is helping them after all.

Options to get pages out of the Google index are:
    - Block the pages using robots.txt
    - Return a 404 header when the pages are accessed
    - Add the meta tag: <meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow"> to the top of each page
    - Stop linking to the pages within the site.

Eventually the pages should become supplemental results and sometime in the future disappear from the Google index.

seo-ireland, Nov 2, 2005 IP