1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google sitemap problem

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by costy81gl, Sep 1, 2005.

Hi
    I made sitemaps for a site one month ago. The sitemaps are ok(no errors) but the results are very bad.
    At the begining I had:
    1000 articles and 3400 forum pages indexed.
    3 weeks, after I submited sitemaps I had:
    11000 articles and 9800 forum pages indexed.
    4 weeks, after I submited sitemaps I have:
    4000 articles indexed and 800 forum pages indexed.

It is strange that number of visitors was the same during this month. But I'm afraid to estimate how many pages will I have indexed after another week. I might lose my job. What the hell is wrong? Plese help me.

costy81gl, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  2. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've seen the same:

week 0: 25k pages
    week 1: 10k pages
    week 2: 25k pages
    week 3: 200k pages (??? dunno why)
    week 4: 25k pages
    week 5: 10k pages (that's this week)

So I think it just fluctuates a lot more when using a sitemap compared to not submitting a sitemap. Traffic has gone up (a bit) since week 3 -- and stayed about the same in week 4 and 5, and well, that's what important right?

frankm, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  3. jazzylee77

jazzylee77 Peon

Best Answers:
    is there a pattern as to which pages are being discarded? I know a lot of forum urls are fluff...search, user, login, post etc. I deleted those from one site map with phpbb I submitted and left them in another.

jazzylee77, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  4. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think google dropping pages has anything to do with sitemaps. It is likely they are dropping them for other reasons. Being in a sitemap doesn't guarantee google will keep your page indexed. It is just a tool to make sure google is able to get to all your pages and knows about them.

The same criteria is still applied as to whether a page is kept in the index if it is in a sitemap or not.

aeiouy, Sep 5, 2005 IP