1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Sitemap and Website change rate importance question

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by McCoyH, Jan 19, 2012.

I was in the process of creating and submitting my sitemap to google and I started reading an article regarding site maps and why they are important.
    One the thing the article wasnt real clear on was:

Is it important to make changes to your website MORE or LESS?

The article stated that one of the uses of sites maps is for search engines to track the frequency of changes on the website.
    So I want to know if it's better to change your website frequently or not?

Thanks for any knowledgeable replies.
    -McCoy

McCoyH, Jan 19, 2012 IP
  2. blacknet

blacknet Active Member

Best Answers:
    The point of an XML sitemap is to tell the spiders, like googlebot, how often they should check each specific page for changes. The ideal is to have your website spidered optimally, if your homepage changes hourly, then say so in a sitemap, if a specific article will only change say once a month when it gets a comment, then say monthly for that page.

The idea being, that it's better for google (less pointless work to do) and better for you (less noise from googlebot hitting the same page over and over for no reason). All in that will make your website more efficient, and a little bit faster.

blacknet, Jan 19, 2012 IP
  3. McCoyH

McCoyH Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you, exactly what I needed.

McCoyH, Jan 19, 2012 IP