1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google SEO vs. Yahoo SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by ViciousSummer, Nov 4, 2004.

Does anyone have any SEO tips for better rankings in Yahoo/MSN? My sites are doing well in Google, but horrible in Yahoo...HELP!?

ViciousSummer, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  2. greghuston

greghuston Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok - how did you do this? I got dropped from Google a little while ago, and receive nothing from them (well, next to nothing). Yahoo and MSN are my main traffic providers.

As I understand it:

Yahoo & MSN focus on optimization on your page i.e. title, keyword density, etc.

Google focuses on off-page optimization - i.e. links, articles, etc.

greghuston, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  3. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    That makes a lot of sense & would explain why I rank well in Google and not so well in Yahoo...Thanks for the post!

ViciousSummer, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  4. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    I think Yahoo/MSN go off content too. Not sure though.

TwisterMc, Nov 5, 2004 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    You can buy yourself to the top of Yahoo with Overture's submission service.

You'll never make it to the first page (well, hardly ever) if you are in a competitive industry and all your competitors did use this paid inclusion shite.

T0PS3O, Nov 5, 2004 IP
  6. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    I have the same problem VS. Doing OK in Google but burried in Yahoo and MSN. Personally I think it has more to do with the paid inclusion or something unknown rather then on page optimization because I've adjusted my page to closely match the top sites stats for my KY in Yahoo and it didn't seem to make any difference. And that was months ago I made the changes.

lowrider14044, Nov 5, 2004 IP
  7. magiana

magiana Peon

Best Answers:
    I don´t believe it has to do with the paid inclusion thing. If it has, I think that will not be important for ratings in the future. The reason is because SEs need to give the searcher the content they want or they go to other SEs. No searchers - no one wants to pay. The searchers are an SEs real customers.

magiana, Nov 5, 2004 IP
  8. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't really been able to figure out exactly what yahoo wants but we were stuck at about 7 for one of our best KWP, we finally have it up to 2 now in yahoo. We lost #1 spot in google last november but have only gotten back to #3 and can't seem to budge the guy at #1+2

We have seen many upward movements on yahoo for our keywords that just seem to never move before, but all we are doing is the normal google optimization stuff that everyone else has been talking about here.

debunked, Nov 5, 2004 IP
  9. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    We have a page that was doing only OK in Google ... in top 10, but always somewhere around 8-10. The file name was pirateflag.html so I thought I'd switch it to pirate-flag.html and see if it jumped a spot or two. I left the old html page up and didn't link to it anymore so Google could update nicely.

Well the pirate-flag.html comes up in Google, but like 50+ and pirateflag.html comes up in Yahoo at number 6. I don't believe I even link to pirateflag.html anymore.

Weird Stuff.

<off topic>
    How did the rush of Halloween traffic work out for you VS?
    Lots of orders?
    </off topic>

Such Great Heights, Nov 5, 2004 IP
  10. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Recently I increased the keyword density on a page to try and move up from #7 in Yahoo.

I went from a KWD of 8% to around 12%. I was nowhere to be found for the next few days. :eek:

I backed of the KWD to around 10% and now the page is back in Yahoo at #4.

ResaleBroker, Nov 5, 2004 IP
  11. janecompersnews

janecompersnews Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I did the same for Yahoo as ResaleBroker a good few months ago now, was at around 6% density and whacked it up to 10%, jumped from number 18 to number 4 a month later. Then totally disappeared for about 5 days! :eek: But then came back at number 3. I jump between number 3 and 4 now.

Interestingly it made no difference to my Google position (at least I don't think so, it's improved slightly but I'm sure that's down to the links I've been getting).

Jane

janecompersnews, Nov 6, 2004 IP