1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google seems to be dancing

Discussion in 'Google' started by SERPalert, Oct 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodwrath

bloodwrath Active Member

Best Answers:
    Concerning links and google penalizing us for links
    we have very little control to what sites link to us (minus LV, co-op & recp linking)..
    yesterday and today im in the process of checking EVERY page on my site
    (it has close to 200) with Copyscape
    Im amazing at all the scrapper/spam sites that add my link and steal some text..
    one such site www. thespywareeliminator. com/freeadwareandspywaredownloads/
    and
    www. remove-spyware-guide. com/adware-and-spyware-anti-virus.html
    or like this site STEAL my whole page (the page is now down)
    http://www.copyscape.com/view.php?o...p://www.supportcave.com/spyware.html&w=37&c=1

google 1st needs to remove these sites then give us good rankings. well then im sure most of our sites would rise it this spam was removed

bloodwrath, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  2. footodors

footodors Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    look at #1 site on Google for: car wraps
    lots of hidden text. thought this update was about getting rid of spam

footodors, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  3. Aok

Aok Peon

Best Answers:
    I have three main sites I do seo work for but only one was horribly affected, the other two not at all. After reading the below post in another forum I realized that the only site that I use a Google sitemap (sitemap.xml) for is the one that got whacked in the last couple of days.

Here's the post:

Also, it seems like a lot of sites that are really seo'd are getting hammered the worst, and it makes sense that people who really seo their sites are up on Google suggesting we use a sitemap.xml

I would like to know if anyone else has noticed this? Does anyone else have more than one site where some use google sitemaps and others don't so we could compare?

Aok, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  4. bloodwrath

bloodwrath Active Member

Best Answers:
    im not using google site maps and my site got hit.

bloodwrath, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  5. themetalpeddler

themetalpeddler Peon

Best Answers:
    ditto bloodwrath

themetalpeddler, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  6. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    No Google site maps here either.

mcdar, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  7. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i use sitemaps, but i have to update mine manually, so i do it maybe 2 times a month. i dont consider it a factor.

I'm doing searches on lots of my words, and I see more spam and junk in the top 10, so I'm desperately hoping its a glitch and it'll be fixed soon - but my patience is running thin. Actualy thinking of turning on adwords to sell some junk :eek:

I'm up to 9 spam reports to google I think :)

lorien1973, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  8. quarryshark

quarryshark Peon

Best Answers:
    Aren't all the update supposed to do that?:rolleyes:
    Seems like they usually fall short.

Some of my secondary terms suffered and dropped in the SERPS somewhat, but for the most part my site came through it OK for once...so far.
    Seem like the usual collection of duplicate sites (much of my competition) came through this untouched ....so far. Figures....

Does Google actually read the "report a spam" submissions?

quarryshark, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  9. Andi

Andi Peon

Best Answers:
    I use a url list sitemap which Google downloads twice a day at least, sometimes 10-15 times/day. Like I said earlier my traffic is booming, definitely back in fat city--sure hope it lasts for a while.

Andi

Andi, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  10. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure they read them. I report sites on occasioni (but only when I'm bored - like now, cuz traffic is down and rebuilding new links is slow work). I know of a few sites I've bumped off google cuz of them. It takes time.

Check out this google search: tree faces
    1 2 3 5 and 10 are all the exact same site (check out the url after the domain name). Different domain name, same site, and everything.

lorien1973, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  11. quarryshark

quarryshark Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, amazing that doesn't get red flagged.:eek:
    My competitors are a little more suttle.
    www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=dodge+hubcaps
    #2,3,4,5 and 7 and all the same company, but you cannot tell until you get to the catalog pages. Here the descriptions, part #s and prices are all the same. It difficult to get them booted, because they are smart. This is just a small sample, this company is flooding the automotive industry with sites. I don't think they will be happy until they own the first 10 pages of the SERPS for everything.
    Been trying to get them bumped for a while....keep hoping these updates will do that instead.

12. samm27

samm27 Peon

Best Answers:
    Two of my old and established electronics websites seem to be completely gone from Google for any search term.

Is anyone else feeling 'banned'?

samm27, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  13. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Google seemed to be getting much better at not displaying the same site (Domain or Duplicate) until this update. While yahoo returns a bunch or crap, I've stopped using Yahoo altogether, Google was doing good. There must be some kind of mistake with this, because the relevancy has gone down a lot. I cant see google making this one permanent. Its just too far in the wrong direction.

jestep, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  14. stuw

stuw Peon

Best Answers:
    Quoted from Web Pro News:

Google's resident rock star, Matt Cutts, has posted that a little Google Dance is underway again. Google probably doesn't derive any pleasure from sending the ranks of SEO and SEM pros hustling to tweak hundreds of web sites for better placement each time they update the index.

"(W)e are constantly working to improve our algorithms and scoring," Matt Cutts posted on his blog. If you're reading this article and wondering who Matt Cutts might be, he was one of Google's first search advertising engineers.

Now, he is discussing the latest update, one in the ongoing series of mini-updates that the search engine performs from time to time. At one time Google could do one big update of everything, but the search engine has had to switch to the more frequent, smaller updates it performs now.

The latest version may include an update to PageRank, as Cutts noted:

Just to give you a heads-up, I think a new set of backlinks (and possibly PageRank) will probably be visible relatively soon; I'm guessing within the next few days. I still expect some flux after that though, just to let you know.

Google updates the index for reasons beyond page rank. Cutts wrote about some of those other reasons:

Some changes are hardly noticed at all. Some changes (e.g. user interface improvements) are more visible. Some changes have nothing to do with spam, such as the changes for Chinese and Europe…. Some changes do try to decrease spam or increase core quality.

Matts site : http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/

stuw, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  15. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    I think most people have read Matt's non committal blog. Where he effectively says that updates are continually ongoing and doesn't come out and say that there specifically is one at the moment.

Someone asked for sites that have jumped upwards.
    One of my sites has tanked to many keywords (mostly with total results >500K <5M) but I've just noticed 2 big jumps on the same site. total number of results = 40M jump from #487 -> #270 & total number of results = 15M jump from #250 -> #60. OK, it's not a jump on the frontpage, but it is for a site that is busy tanking for some of it's less competitive keywords.

jlawrence, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  16. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Have you ever seen anything happen from those spam reports?

It seems that 99.999985% of all e-mail send to Google goes unread.

Will.Spencer, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  17. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Matt sure does use a lot of words and yet still manages to say nothing.

Will.Spencer, Oct 18, 2005 IP
    bloodwrath likes this.
  18. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    Spam reports don't need to be read. The could be actioned by a robot. whether they are or not is another matter ;)

jlawrence, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  19. quarryshark

quarryshark Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats what I suspect. Although I think it is more like 99.999986%.;)

20. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    I picked up 27% traffic as of monday from 2 weeks ago. Last week I was up 12% in traffic. But then again this many be because of my Pagerank page that people are checking. I do only get 15% of my traffic from seach engines.

As far as rankings I have been setting at #5 position on Google for "SEO Company" (Oveture 13k) for months. I am currently #2 position.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=seo+company

I have taken the approach for driving traffic to my site with banners (56k of them) and text link ads with nofollow (almost 300k) from relevant sites. Also providing quality resources.

I am coming out with this Keyword Ranking Monitor Tool shortly which is going to be sweet. The page is just a mock up but the whole app has been speced and the programmers hired.

bobmutch, Oct 18, 2005 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.