1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google seems to be dancing

Discussion in 'Google' started by SERPalert, Oct 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    Does anyone have site that is ranking in the top 10 for term,(when I say term I mean term that requires targeted backlinks) whose is site say less then 5 years old

4 terms that I have checked ever single site is from 2000 or older

Does anyone else see this?

ferret77, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  2. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    This is one of the most annoying aspects of this business. We're often reliant on information (in this case SERPs) which is/are provided by a third party.
    We can spot reasonably quickly when something is happening, but we don't know whether it is something we've done or whether it is some they've broke. With all Algo changes (if that's what it is) we always have to sit tight for a week or two just to see if things are going to stick or if they will role back.

jlawrence, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  3. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    QUOTE=ferret77]Does anyone have site that is ranking in the top 10 for term,(when I say term I mean term that requires targeted backlinks) whose is site say less then 5 years old

4 terms that I have checked ever single site is from 2000 or older

Does anyone else see this?[/QUOTE]
    Yes I have.
    Take the site in my sig (www.plymouthcricketclub.com) and the keyphrase 'plymouth cricket club'. OK, it's not competitive. but it did require 400+ targetted links to get the #1.

4. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    One of my terms has survived, dropped from #1/#2 to #7 and my site is < 1 year old.

gford, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  5. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    for my primary keyword (very popular) I get some new entries in the top20 (as someone noticed in this thread before):
    about.com, mtv.com, yahoo.com/aaa/aaa/aaa/aaa (something like that), msn.com etc.

they were never in the serps and now they have taken spots #5-#15.

and my allinanchor:keyword has dropped from #5 to not-in-the-first-1000.

frankm, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  6. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    Mine is the only keyword that remains in place for that site all others have plumetted.
    Funnily enough, the competitive keywords for which it is still climbing up the SERPs haven't been affected.

7. Dave_A

Dave_A Peon

Best Answers:
    I feel your pain, I'm in a similar position.

Hope this sorts itself out otherwise I'll have to invent a 'google-killed-my-site' song and makes some money that way.

Dave_A, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  8. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    yfs1, mcdar and other DC watchers: Question Please:

I found what is either an anomoly or a possible cause of the lasted jig by Google - is there a way to confirm one way or another that Google has begun integrating local results (no longer beta) into the regular Google web search results? I started a thread about this as not to hijack this thread, but I ran across such a result purely by accident over the weekend doing some research with a PSEM friend in Tacoma WA and it made me think that this may be part of the reason for this dance and the cause of so many results getting shuffled.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

wrmineo, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  9. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    @myself: I just looked up my own site, and I DID go up in the results, now ranking #85, before this all I was stuck at #300-#320 (sandbox effect? who knows);

frankm, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  10. zak

zak Peon

Best Answers:
    have had 3 sites dropped from the serps all of which had many keywords ranking in the top 20. all are now n/a

zak, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  11. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I should say that I noticed MASSIVE gains over the last few days prior to the drop. Once it settles it will be good to compare notes and look for a common thread.

Old Welsh Guy, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  12. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here too: didn't watch the serps the last days, but got 30% more traffic from google than normal. Now it looks like it is going to be as it was, let's say 7days ago.

frankm, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  13. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all the co-op is not really a recip link set up, so I am not following your logic. It could accidently end up that way, but you are not swapping links with anyone. In fact some people link from and to completely different pages and never do both with any of them.

Several people have thrown out this theory in various places about the changes that have been ongoing for a few weeks now. Nobody has actually supported it with anything I would call reasonable evidence.

Regardless, while it is clear something continues to go on, I don't think it is anything as narrow or specific as some people want to point to, and probably is a combination of many things causing changes. I know everyone wants to point to a single characteristic and place all the blame there, but I would be suprised if that were the ultimate discovery in all of this.

aeiouy, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  14. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:

I have been seeing sandboxed pages move in and out of the serps recently as well.. Although I have not seen it in the last day or two.

aeiouy, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  15. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's not a reciprocal link penalty.

It's not a Coop penalty.

I know people are grasping at straws trying to figure out what's going on and what isn't going on, but do remember that any explanation will have to account not only for pages which have dropped but also for pages which have stayed the same or risen.

minstrel, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  16. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    No. That's not it either. :)

I bet in Wales that's a hilarious joke :D ... I don't get it :confused:

minstrel, Oct 17, 2005 IP
    frankm likes this.
  17. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    wrmineo,

I looked at the results you linked to in the other thread and there were about four listings interject as "local Listings" about four or five places from the top.

If those Local Listings were interjected on every search sites below #5 would be displaced by 4 or 5 positions. Many here have been displaced by hundreds of positions.

I have done several searches on different keywords and have not seen the Local Listings like in your example.

Caryl

mcdar, Oct 17, 2005 IP
    frankm likes this.
  18. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    And that's what makes this more difficult to comprehend.
    Why on a site are established keywords dropping yet other are rising.
    By established I mean ones which you have decent SERPs for.
    On some of mysites, I have keywords which I've been working towards for ages and they are still rising. Others where I've been top 10 for ages are dumping to 700+.

19. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    One main keyword I watch ("vbulletin") agrees with this theory. The sites that got dropped from the top-10 depended on external links in. The sites that are there now exist solely on internal linking power. None of the sites in the top-10 care if they rank for vbulletin, except the one owned by Jelsoft. The other 9 are simply large, powerful vbulletin-driven forums that left the vbulletin part in their title tag and elsewhere in the page. None of the vbulletin service companies, advice pages on SEO or security updates, or skin sellers remain.

Which is more relevant for a search on "vbulletin" -- huge vbulletin forums or pages about vbulletin software services and additions? Google decided the first.

Previously in the top 10:

- security updates for vbulletin, now #50
    - SEO for vbulletin (t2dman), now #???
    - me, vbulletin skins, now #???
    - vbstyles, now #???

TheHoff, Oct 17, 2005 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  20. Kerry

Kerry Grunt

Best Answers:
    Term: Da-lite
    Currently #8 out of 2,270,000 results