1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Search Traffic Dropped Off Significantly

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by ebsports, Jul 28, 2017.

I don't have a huge site, but I generally get about 1,000 visitors a day from Google Search and its been that way for months on months. It's a bit of a hodgepodge of topics - like a Buzzfeed type site so I'm not stuck in one niche or anything in that regard.

Then today I log on and see that I have about 15 visitors.

I'm a bit of a novice but I did know enough to check to see if I had been removed from Google's searches (which I have not been) and checked everything in my Google Webmaster tools and all looks okay (sans one 302 redirect from a sitemap).

I'm completely confused as to what happened.

I mean I literally went to bed - all was fine. Wake up and there's no search activity.

Any help? I'm lost :(

ebsports, Jul 28, 2017 IP
  2. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Google make >500 tweaks to the algorithm every year and factor in new data (ie link metrics; updated PR; recalculated quality scores; etc) every day. Rankings can and do change every day.
    Without the URL, impossible to give an advice

Agent000, Jul 28, 2017 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  3. j a m i e

j a m i e Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Seems to be the common trend this year.

I personally lost 30,000+ in traffic after switching from http to https in January. Google says "If you migrate your site from HTTP to HTTPS, Google treats this as a site move with a URL change. This can temporarily affect some of your traffic numbers." I'm still waiting 6 months later for the traffic to return.

What I've learned from this is to never put the majority of your eggs in the Google basket! They got me paranoid to make any improvements on my sites now.

Good luck getting your traffic back.

--
    G r e e n h o r n
    j a m i e

j a m i e, Jul 28, 2017 IP
  4. thebrandman

thebrandman Member

Best Answers:
    Perhaps you might find some additional success outside of your reliance on Google search traffic. There are many ways that a site could gain traffic. Search engines are merely only one of them.

It's always best to have multiple traffic sources, in case something happens to diminish one source -- just like you've noted.

thebrandman, Jul 28, 2017 IP
  5. Flint NIger

Flint NIger Active Member

Best Answers:
    This might be caused by Google bot,
    you might be aware of the Panda Update,
    please check your web master tool for messages
    and your inbox too.

Flint NIger, Jul 29, 2017 IP
  6. Spartan14

Spartan14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well maybe your site gets deranked .check your site position etc

Spartan14, Jul 29, 2017 IP
  7. ebsports

ebsports Active Member

Best Answers:
    My domain is GuyHut.com if anybody needs it check things out.

I checked my Webmaster tools and everything looks normal - no messages or anything like that either.

The strangest thing out of all - twice yesterday I looked up the site on Google and it appeared just fine as did some of my higher ranking posts/pages. I instantly saw the jump in Google search traffic in my real-time stats. But literally like an hour later they and the homepage were no longer getting any Google search traffic. Stayed that way for about 5 or 6 hours and then the site and higher ranked posts came back for like 15 to 20 minutes then they were gone again.

Also, I will say that I tried out Ezoic on Monday and had a speed issue, so I disabled it and went to bed. Woke up and my @ record was changed somehow. So the site was a parked domain for about 8 hours but I fixed it immediately. Somebody suggested that Google could've crawled the site at that time, but that seems too coincidental.

And when I do the site:URL.com on Google, the pages come up so I didn't get banned or anything.

I'm so perplexed.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    ebsports, Jul 29, 2017 IP
  8. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Did you read @Agent000 reply? That's exactly what's happening to your site.

qwikad.com, Jul 29, 2017 IP
  9. ebsports

ebsports Active Member

Best Answers:
    You guys think so? It just seemed so weird and coincidental that everything seemed to happen exactly the same time that Ezoic thing happened and my A record got changed, considering I've had an almost identical amount of Google traffic (within a couple hundred, plus or minus) every day for a couple years now.

And then the fact that sometimes Google seems to show that some of the higher ranked posts and the main page of the site in the search results for about 10 or 15 minutes and then they vanish for hours before they return for a few minutes.

Shouldn't the main page of the site show up first when you type it in in Google? It does in Yahoo for me, but not Google.

Appreciate all the assistance from everybody, btw. Thank you.

ebsports, Jul 29, 2017 IP
  10. ebsports

ebsports Active Member

Best Answers:
    And now all my traffic is back to normal and it's been that way for 12 hours or so. Hopefully it stays that way. How weird.

ebsports, Jul 30, 2017 IP
  11. thebrandman

thebrandman Member

Best Answers:
    Perhaps it was a hiccup in the algorithm. Whatever the case, I'm glad to hear that everything is back to normal.
    -

thebrandman, Jul 30, 2017 IP
  12. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    tampering with your site can have a negative affect. I was editing one of my posts, and
    accidently left it in draft mode, within 1-3 days, all the keywords vanished from ranking....

google does not play around these days, and when they say your site needs to be accessible
    all the time, then they mean just that, removing your site, even for a short period can cause issues...

always use a reliable host, because if your host goes down, then you can be screwed....
    even if your posts linger in the engine, any keywords you have can vanish quickly....

dscurlock, Jul 30, 2017 IP
  13. ebsports

ebsports Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, looks like everything is normal again and has been for a few days now.

Man, that was rather terrifying lol.

Thank you everybody for the help.

And wow - really @dscurlock?! Just from a draft? Yikes - Google really isn't playing around!! Thank you for the tip!

ebsports, Jul 31, 2017 IP
  14. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You want to set up everything right the first time...
    even if you change your post url, then that could cause issues also...

I am not sure if google treats authority sites different from newbie sites if they
    should go offline, but i know if my site goes down, then I could lose rankings quite fast...
    on that post that was in draft, I had 20 ranked keywords, now I only have 10...
    I imagine over time, the remaining keywords will come back, maybe....

now I am facing google crawl issues, and I do not know if they will affect
    anything, so If you see anything like this, then let me know...

domain.com/wp-login/?loginFacebook=1&redirect=domain.com/this-is-how-google-crawls-this-post
    (and the link does not exist, and only provides error 500)

ps, I have been getting these crawls from google every since
    I removed a WP plugin called Nextend Facebook/Google....

dscurlock, Jul 31, 2017 IP