1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google rapidly increased minimum CPC bids

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Hunne, Sep 11, 2005.

What is wrong with google these days?

I have a campaign with about 80 keywords running, which I started last week.
    At the beginning, there were just a few (about 10) keywords that hat a minimum cpc of more than 5 cent.
    2 days later I logged in to the account and saw: "29 keyword(s) are currently inactive. " -> they increase the minimum bid to .10, .20, .40 or 1$ per click after I added them to my campaign.
    Today I got a new message: "52 keyword(s) are currently inactive. "
    They increase new keywords, but also the keywords that already were increase 5 days ago which I decided to pay more for.
    Most of the increased .10 are now .20

That's not cheap avertising anymore. What they do is try to find out how much they can take for it :mad:

yeah.. that's getting a bit annoying for me!

Hunne, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  2. elkiwi

elkiwi Active Member

Best Answers:
    I had to stop my adwords campaign....was just getting too expensive and in the end no ROI. Was great before the changes though. Maybe they are shooting themselves in the foot or just getting rid of the small players?

elkiwi, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  3. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Yeah, just terrible. I used to run test campaigns with 10 cent bids on a $50 budget, more than enough to know if it was a good campaign or not.

Now they asked me to raise my bid to one buck per click, and I reached my budget in a couple of hours.

I sure won't be wasting my money at Adwords again...

fryman, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  4. Jaimitodelqueso

Jaimitodelqueso Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, I've had to doublemy budget and although I'm still getting acceptable ROI, it is slipping. Spendingh more and more time on Overture that is for some reason improving...

Jaimitodelqueso, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  5. alang

alang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    and yet, as a publisher, I still got lots of $0.01 per click. Wonder where all the money goes...

alang, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  6. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Very VERY good question...

And yeah I jumped off that Adwords sinking ship a long time ago.

GeorgeB., Sep 11, 2005 IP
  7. ados67

ados67 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well guys, I'd definitely agree that google has made a wrong move on this one, and it's not going well.

I will say this, however: Hunne, the reason you're experiencing these daily increases in your minimum bids, is because the quality of your ads are probably not good enough. When I ran a campaign a few weeks ago which had tens of inactive keywords, I ultimately found an ad with a CTR of 2.5%. A couple of days later, the number of inactive keywords dropped down to almost nill, and those that were inactive took very little over what I had currently paid to make active.

Just my 2 cents, I hope it helps :)

Adi Friedman
    TwoBelievers.com Web Holdings.

ados67, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  8. Hunne

Hunne Guest

Best Answers:
    LOL. Now only 9 keywords inactive (instead of 52). I didn't change my bids, but they lowered their prices after increasing them (in one week).
    What the hell is happening there. Are they trying to figure out how much we're willing to pay for each keyword?

Hunne, Sep 19, 2005 IP