1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Ranking Report - Check Google PageRank

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by vinyl, Apr 18, 2004.

Please check my new Google Ranking Report - PageRank Check tool and tell me do you like it, and what is most important, if you see any differences in comparation to the "real" Google PR...

Also, interested parties may contact me if they want to cooperate on my project by adding tool for remote-query of Google PR algorythm.

Replies welcome,
    Thanks!

vinyl, Apr 18, 2004 IP
  2. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    The results were accurate for all my pages.

I would still prefer to use the tool provided at Digital Point. It saves all my urls and I can get the PR for all of them at one time with 1 click.

GuyFromChicago, Apr 18, 2004 IP
  3. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    The tool will be nice for a quick reference.. perhaps make a toolbar addition for it or something.

schlottke, Apr 18, 2004 IP
  4. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Will.Spencer, Apr 19, 2004 IP
  5. vinyl

vinyl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    schottke, thanks for suggestion, too bad i am not familiar with toolbars :d

dont take this as a competition - even i use digital point tools, so there's no need to rank it up, i didnt ask for that... it's your opinion and i respect it. i am mainly interested in how you like it + in data accuracy + in eventual suggestions of to make it even better... more sites per search and database integration where system will remember what each user searched for (so that you can repeat that with one click) can be done easily.

vinyl, Apr 19, 2004 IP
  6. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I just had a look at the tool. I don't mean to be rude, but why would I type an URL into your tool to check the PR when I can do exactly the same thing in IE and read the PR from the Google toolbar?

With IE I can see the site and move between pages and check a lot of PRs. Why would I bother typing internal pages into your tool one at a time?

Once I have the PR I'm often interested in the number of backlinks to see how the page got the PR. I can't do this with your tool.

To me you are sort of inventing the wheel all over again, but in this case only a very small part of the wheel.

Can you explain what motivated you and where you are going with this tool?

compar, Apr 19, 2004 IP
  7. vinyl

vinyl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well Bob, you are rude... not all people like to check PR from the Google toolbar, like you. If you are not aware of that, there's no need to speak more about it, you won't understand it because everything you said against is just all what I wanted to achieve - no Google Toolbar - if you cannot understand that, at least respect my work a bit more - I am not Google team to make something awesome Mr. Bob will like, it's all myself and my wish to explore developer stuff + to make something creative for people who will appreciate it. But I have nothing against your opinion, you are right, Google toolbar is way much better tool, and you have right to choose functionality you need, although you attitude sucks - It's a bit funny to compare me with Google, isn't it?

vinyl, Apr 19, 2004 IP
  8. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    vinyl,

don't take his criticism so hard, he isn't being mean by it, just simply stating the facts. Use his ruthless opinion to shape your tool around it.. Notice how even I said it would be better as a tool bar.

Maybe that should be your next step.. change it to a toolbar, add a search rank, pr, and some other useful item and youll have yourself a winner.

schlottke, Apr 19, 2004 IP
  9. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not? And what proof have you got of this?

And why ask for opinions if you are not prepared to accept criticism?

The fact is that your tool offers absolutely no addition value or convenience. In fact anyone using your tool is placing themselves at a disadvantage.

If you just want to experiment in coding then great go for it. But don't present it to a forum as a useful new tool and ask for comments.

compar, Apr 20, 2004 IP
    robmuld likes this.
  10. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well one reason is it only runs on IE for Windows...

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Apr 20, 2004 IP
  11. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a good answer. I hadn't thought of that.

But I don't "use" IE as my main browser either. And I would still load IE to get all the features of the Google toolbar before I would load Vinyl's tool in my Netscape.

compar, Apr 20, 2004 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, I don't even use Windows as my main operating system... so... :)

- Shawn

13. vinyl

vinyl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dont take critisism hard - I just take him as rude, because the way he says all those critics is quite unfriendly & I cannot find any constructive thing in it, except to turn my page off, sorry... but I don't expect more from the person who looks like that...

dp, true, that can be pretty strong argument against Google toolbar.

vinyl, Apr 20, 2004 IP
  14. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There are of course other things one could do with a tool to automate it... For example the keyword tracker incorporates historical PageRank tracking for a specific URL. That's not possible without a tool to get the data.

- Shawn

15. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    compar,

I find it a very useful tool. I do all my development on macs, and am just waiting for someone to come up with an equally useful binary/toolbar for the mac.

Every time I see a new PR based web app like this, (the proliferation of which has been handy over the past few months with at least five new ones I can think of), I believe that objective is a little closer.. because sooner or later someone's going to recognize the potential of having their toolbar atop mac browsers around the world (I'm speaking conceptually, so lets avoid a debate on TOS, TB loads etc and leave it there) :)

One final observation - I don't wish to sound abrasive but it seems to work for you..

As a coder myself, I expect concise feedback on new tools/apps that I develop, and from time to time, I'll go so far as to ask for feedback in a public forum. Seeking this, I expect criticism to a degree. But I also expect it to be augmented constructively. I don't declare it. I don't assert a set of rules for debate. I don't ask for proof of observations or actions, nor do I make obvious statements regarding the purpose of a thread or forum.

If you're consistently presenting a negative perspective (or asking obvious, contrived questions, be they regarding domain sales or new tools) - I have to ask myself - WHY is this person being so critical ?

Whether the achievements presented here are consistent with your notion of 'a useful new tool' or not doesn't really matter. That encouraging constructive positive debate may lead to an evolved and far more effective tool set does - hence the original request for feedback.

If you have any ideas for a useful new tool, you might consider contributing to (a slightly derailed) thread I started called 'the coolest tool & why'.

john_loch, Apr 21, 2004 IP
  16. Sorvoja

Sorvoja Don't hide my ads!

Best Answers:
    It works for me.

Sorvoja, Apr 22, 2004 IP
  17. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Like the others I only work on Macs

Now here's a controversal statement:

If all those people out there on MSDOS that somehow became Windows 13 years after Macs showed the way weren't so pig.......

Just kidding

However a toolbar for Safari or Firefox in that order of preference would be great.

PS I noticed on your site a way of putting it on our sites - have you more info?

Foxy, Apr 23, 2004 IP
  18. menneke

menneke Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm a Mac OS X user. I know, I know, you thought I was extinct. Well, I'm very much alive, thank you, and I appreciate having a tool to check my PR in Google without having to abandon my platform of choice.

menneke

menneke, Apr 25, 2004 IP
  19. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    menneke

welcome and enjoy

you don't know this but God himself is on a MacOSX

I'm on a MacOSX and quite a few others are to - it takes time but people do eventually learn!! Ha! :D

Foxy, Apr 25, 2004 IP
  20. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    It just never occurred to me that MacOSX users were so impoverished that a single purpose tool like Vinyl's would appear like manna from heaven to them.

Shawn's Track Backlink Tool gives you PR and quite a bit more. Why wouldn't you use it rather than a one purpose tool that required you to type in the name of the URL every time you want to check.

compar, Apr 25, 2004 IP