1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Rank Harmful Websites #1

Discussion in 'Google' started by Rajaie, Sep 16, 2008.

I just came across this while searching for something on Google. As you can see below the first result, it says that "This site may harm your computer.".

Why would Google rank that site #1 in the place (or index it at all) if it knew that it could harm our computer?

Just something I found and though of sharing with you guys :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Rajaie, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  2. lycos

lycos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Obviously google can't even fine tune everything to be perfect. It warns people not to visit the site as it could potentially harm the computer but yet it get listed at number one spot.

Look for the "Dissatisfied? Help us improve" link at the bottom of the page and use it to report and notify them.

lycos, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  3. lilrinho

lilrinho Peon

Best Answers:
    hey lycos, you have been only registered for two months and you have 1,366 posts woow. already a reputable member lol

lilrinho, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  4. Resident79

Resident79 Peon

Best Answers:
    It might be pretty hard to teach Google to understand ironie or sarcasm. That is why I woud prefer them to show everything.

Resident79, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  5. gskesavan

gskesavan Peon

Best Answers:
    it still got the top spot... for the first time i'm seeing something like this...

gskesavan, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  6. princet

princet Peon

Best Answers:
    Google don't know for sure if the site is harmful or not, it's just a warning.
    And since Google don't know for sure they don't penalize suspicious sites before investigating further.

princet, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  7. Subhani

Subhani Active Member

Best Answers:
    This Warning stuff is based on some kind of alogritm. No human intervention so it can be wrong somethings.

Thats why Google only warns not deletes from its index, and most of the times the webmaster has not done it intentionally (the server of website is vulnerable and some hacker just exploits it to create his zombie force or just to spread his malicious stuff).

Subhani, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  8. essaouira

essaouira Peon

Best Answers:
    This is not always right

essaouira, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  9. WeWatch

WeWatch Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you were to click on the link you could see the following information. This site is definitely hacked. There are links on the web pages that point to some nasty stuff.

Google doesn't remove the listing from SERPs. It's almost like Google punishing you for not checking your website. They're going to show your listing where it is and let the entire world know that you've been hacked.

I definitely would not visit that site - it's hacked for sure. I've scanned it and found the links to rogue spyware where it will "advise" you that your computer is infected and they offer a free download to clean your system.

The program you download quietly adds your PC to their botnet.

Read Google's assessment here:

What is the current listing status for schrag.info/?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 243 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 90 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 09/15/2008, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 09/15/2008.
    Malicious software includes 507 scripting exploit(s), 55 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 3 new processes on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 10 domain(s), including fastmcscan.com, anti-virus-xp.net, advancedxpfixer.com.

4 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including huy1.com, malwarecrush.com, winifixer.net.

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, schrag.info/ did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

ck on the link you see this information:

WeWatch, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  10. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google has been quite sloppy lately. Perhaps all the people who went to go start cuil were some of the more important employees at Google. I think if they have any kind of suspicion that a website could harm your computer, they should not keep that page high in its rankings. That is irresponsible on their part.

vansterdam, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  11. WeWatch

WeWatch Active Member

Best Answers:
    That site is not getting any traffic. Who would still go to that website? (other than me for the sake of investigation).

Google has teamed up with the people from StopBadware.org to police the Internet to make it safer.

I've read many posts from people on various forums about how their sites were "false positives" and incorrectly labeled with Google's warning. However, when those people find that their sites were hacked, then they suddenly become quiet in the forums.

Many of them say they're going to switch to Yahoo. Yahoo has teamed up with McAfee and their SiteAdvisor product. They're offering warnings as well.

The issue is that the site mentioned in the original post here is trying to infect visitors.

Whether Google should remove the listing or leave it where it is and alert the whole world is up to the reader.

WeWatch, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  12. rbucich

rbucich Peon

Best Answers:
    This was addressed on Matt Cutts blog. I believe when a site gets this warning, they attempt to contact the webmaster. Because of false positives, they don't necessarily take the site down up front.

I don't see it being irresponsible leaving up a site that has prompted the warning. If the site in question is definitely rogue then that is just an example, whereas there are others that are not rogue and the webmaster has done something to trigger the alarm. If they are paying attention, they can now fix the issue without being banned.

The warning is quite clear, sites ranking 2,3,4 etc are going to get all the traffic.

rbucich, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  13. Nova

Nova Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is just funny and coincidence. One of my sites has a yellow stamp category according to stopbadware.org. As their definition "badware suspecion",

Here is the link I posted and what I think initated my problem:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1029691

If you guys can provide some opinions, hey, THANKS in advace:rolleyes:

Nova, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  14. WishBone

WishBone Peon

Best Answers:
    Google might sensed some flagging about the site or something. Hope there is no or else, wondering what would happen between serious competitive sites.

WishBone, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  15. AngelaE8654

AngelaE8654 Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's true; a lot of times it's simply a mistake in the coding that causes this and there is no real threat from the website.

AngelaE8654, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  16. John Kevin

John Kevin Peon

Best Answers:
    Amazing...
    Thanks for the information.

John Kevin, Oct 16, 2018 IP
  17. Joey Doohan

Joey Doohan Peon

Best Answers:
    User intent and sentiment is something that can help bad websites rank at the top of Google. Also lots of backlinks too influences searches

Joey Doohan, Dec 12, 2018 IP