1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google PR was updated today!

Discussion in 'Google' started by Jeffr2014, Mar 22, 2014.

Well, PR seems to be still relevant. There was another PR update today, a couple of my sites got hit really badly... Strangely enough, these were the sites that used MyBlogGuest guest blogging, I wonder if it has something to do with this:
    http://searchengineland.com/googles-matt-cutts-implies-myblogguest-publishers-will-receive-penalties-many-begin-receiving-manual-action-notifications-187122

Jeffr2014, Mar 22, 2014 IP
  2. iwebsocial

iwebsocial Active Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly that the reason. Keep away with myblogguest.

iwebsocial, Mar 22, 2014 IP
  3. dedideals

dedideals Member

Best Answers:
    Nothing for us, still the same but not too bad getting there

dedideals, Mar 22, 2014 IP
  4. Jake The Competition Man

Jake The Competition Man Active Member

Best Answers:
    nothing changed on my side, are you sure there's a PageRank update?

5. Dittmoe

Dittmoe Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I dont see any evidence of a pagerank update at all

Dittmoe, Mar 22, 2014 IP
  6. Jeffr2014

Jeffr2014 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I had drop of PR in 2 of my sites and also in 6 sites where I posted guest or sponsored posts. So I'm pretty sure of it... :-(

7. not DigitalPoint.

not DigitalPoint. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There is no google update

not DigitalPoint., Mar 22, 2014 IP
  8. Jeffr2014

Jeffr2014 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It was certainly because of stupid MyBlogGuest plugin on the site. I got Google manual spam action with PR drop from 4 to 0.
    Mind that I was not selling links (just guest post exchange), yet here is the message I found in my Webmaster Tools console right now:
    "Google has detected a pattern of artificial or unnatural links on this site. Selling links or participating in link schemes in order to manipulate PageRank is a violation of Google's Webmaster Guidelines.
    As a result of unnatural links from your site, Google has applied a manual spam action to xxxx. There may be other actions on your site or parts of your site."

Any suggestions?

9. point2

point2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i dont think it was an update. more like a penalty..

point2, Mar 22, 2014 IP
  10. not DigitalPoint.

not DigitalPoint. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    CONFIRMED! myblogguest has been destroyed by google.
    http://marketingland.com/myblogguest-com-confirms-hit-google-penalty-77279

not DigitalPoint., Mar 22, 2014 IP
  11. Jake The Competition Man

Jake The Competition Man Active Member

Best Answers:
    there's nothing to be happy, anyway. I'm always sad when another webmaster has its work destroyed.

12. melprise

melprise Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well it's pretty obvious one is inviting guest blog posts if your domain NAME is 'MyBlogGuest' LOL. It doesn't mean that Google can track down all the blogs out there who are using guest posting, most of whom do not so clearly announce themselves.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    melprise, Mar 22, 2014 IP
  13. enhu

enhu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No pr changes to my websites. The Pr of clients site did change even when we're using myblogguest plugin.
    The reason might be something else.

enhu, Mar 22, 2014 IP
  14. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    The issue is that Google has no mandate to attack people who guest blog on other people's sites. There is no evidence of money changing hands in the vast majority of these examples, no evidence of a deliberate intent to manipulate Google rankings either, but nevertheless Google has not only "punished" the site like some kind of vengeful God, it's damaged all those who wanted to invite others to guest on their own sites.

There are hundreds of genuine partnerships that people have created for genuine interest and collaboration, and Google has simply decided to attack them all for no other reason than a desperate attempt to further diminish natural marketing in favor of paid Google services.

So many people have been "attacked" by Google through this for nothing more than doing their jobs, cross promoting their sites and sharing their experiences and information with new audiences. Google might have "claimed" to want to stop manipulation of linking and promotion that it arbitrarily decides to clamp down on, but in the process it has attacked thousands of genuine writers and creators who don't actually do it for linking, they do it for the audience.

Conran, Mar 23, 2014 IP
  15. Jeffr2014

Jeffr2014 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Conran, I wish I could like your post (sorry, I am not "established" in DP) but you expressed exactly my thoughts regarding Google's actions and motivation.

Re: "So many people have been "attacked" by Google through this for nothing more than doing their jobs, cross promoting their sites and sharing their experiences and information with new audiences."

True. One of my sites that got penalized by Google is advertising free, non-profit site that never sold any links or made any money on advertising. Its only fault was that in the past this blog allowed guest blogging via MyBlogGuest and it still had MBG WP plugin installed. It looks like Google is doing a witch-hunt of MyBlogGuest and blindly punishes everyone who has MBG plugin installed...

Jeffr2014, Mar 23, 2014 IP
  16. Jim4767

Jim4767 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, if he's innocent and doing all white-hat SEO. Otherwise, justice is served and the worldwide web is improved.

Jim4767, Mar 23, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  17. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe they are using the same method they used to attack directories, the biggest competition they had in the beginning. Before Google existed we had sites of links in various niches, markets and themes, where one could go to find things that interested them. This was a more natural way of business promotion and marketing to like-minded audiences. Google knew that this was a threat to their new business, so as soon as they had a good share of the market they outright destroyed that competition by branding them "corrupt" and "untrustworthy".

It seems to me that Google is attempting to do the same thing with guest blogging, making small businesses more reliant on advertizing (with them) through systematic removal of all other marketing avenues.

There are now really only three ways to reach an audience...

1. Advertising on other sites (something Google has consistently manipulated by telling publishers where to place ads, the methods used for displaying ads, dictating policy on "paid links", and changing their opinions regularly on the format of text ads people publish on their sites)
    2. Social media
    3. Google

This tells me that within the next few years Google will find a way to influence the use of social media for marketing, further forcing small businesses into using their advertising methods. It's not clear how this might happen, but it seems likely to me that Google will start to claim that using social media for marketing is "bad" in one way or another, finding a method to penalize sites that use social media rather than paid advertising with Google. They could claim that excessive use of Twitter is "spammy", or introduce rules on the methods of linking through social media.

Watch this space I suppose. It's what I'm predicting, based on the constant need a corporation has to increase control and reduce competition, while forever needing expanding profits.

Conran, Mar 23, 2014 IP
    melprise likes this.
  18. Sarkari Naukri

Sarkari Naukri Member

Best Answers:
    I also don't affect any update from Google on my site..

Sarkari Naukri, Mar 23, 2014 IP
  19. Dittmoe

Dittmoe Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sorry to hear that you got caught! Google had to crackdown somehow, and that's just one network that needed to be made an example of.

Dittmoe, Mar 24, 2014 IP
  20. hoangsts

hoangsts Member

Best Answers:
    Wonder whats going to happen if MyBlogGuest was a paid service?

hoangsts, Mar 24, 2014 IP