1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google PR rating

Discussion in 'SEO' started by blackpudding, Sep 6, 2005.

I've only just started thinking about SEO on my main site and wondered if the Google PR rating is useful? My home page went from PR4 to PR5 today so should I expect more traffic and can I use it to judge any improvements made as I implement SEO tricks over the next few weeks, or is it a red herring? I'm happy with the way my content has grown but more visitors wouldn't go amiss if I'm going to break the $500 a month barrier :rolleyes:

Cheers
    BP

blackpudding, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  2. a3196

a3196 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your homepage went from pr4 to pr5???I don't see any pr updates...

and I don't think pr updates can help that much on traffic. PR could be some factor but I'm pretty sure PR matters that much....

a3196, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  3. INV

INV Peon

Best Answers:
    1. I don't think a pagerank occurred yet.

2. PageRank doesn't have much play in onpage SEO as it is determined by incoming-links and the way your page spread links which is the only onpage factor. Although incoming links is what gets you pagerank in the first place.

3. When a PageRank increases you wont expect any more traffic as PageRank really has no effect on search engine ranking position. The visitors have to come from somewhere and I am assuming you meant from search engines when referring to traffic.

INV, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  4. blackpudding

blackpudding Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    The PR definitely shows 5 instead of 4 on the google toolbar. Its always shown 4 in the past (definitely up to last weekend) which is why I wondered if it was to do with some tweaks I made to the site, including adding a section for reciprocal links. Out of interest how often is this updated and what does it actually mean if it has no bearing on googles search results? Sorry if its a bit of a newbie question but as I say I'm trying to increase my Adsense income and every bit helps.

Cheers
    BP

5. EWpro

EWpro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    BP,
    Not only you but few others also claim the Google PR update - I dont see any on my sites AWA the sites I visit often.
    Is it partial or a major update by G?

EWpro, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  6. bgolat

bgolat Peon

Best Answers:
    i have not seen or heard of any changes until this thread

bgolat, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  7. INV

INV Peon

Best Answers:
    Google PageRank is updated every couple of months, I would say around 3 to 5 on average. It has no direct bearing in the search engine results but an indirect factor of having links to your website which help increase ranking in google. Google PR is just a number, a PR3 can have better rank then PR5, or the opposite, it really isn't a factor in results because of the number. You should really learn to ignore it as you are wasting valueble time on something that wont increase your cash flow :) So keep working! And reciprocal links is a great idea.

INV, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  8. blackpudding

blackpudding Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that, luckily I've only wasted a few hours pondering over it :rolleyes:

Cheers
    BP

9. jpcesar

jpcesar Peon

Best Answers:
    As i go further in the world of SEO i've found some interesting readings about PR.

You can check them here.

jpcesar, Sep 7, 2005 IP
    blackpudding likes this.
  10. blackpudding

blackpudding Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks! I found this link on the page you mentioned and it pretty much answers all my questions:
    http://www.webworkshop.net/pagerank.html

I thought this line was a bit scary though:
    "For this reason, links into a site cannot harm the site, but links from a site can be harmful if they link to penalized sites. So be careful which sites you link to. If a site has PR0, it is usually a penalty, and it would be unwise to link to it. "

Definately somthing to consider in future.

Cheers
    BP

blackpudding, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  11. Seobiznezzy

Seobiznezzy Peon

Best Answers:
    Pr used to be really easy to manipulate 2 years ago. You could get links inbound and create your site to go to PR 6 or greater.

Put it this way, I own a PR 6 that is still in the sandbox. I might as well be a PR 1.

Seobiznezzy, Sep 13, 2005 IP