1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google PR on pages with "?" and "&" in the URL - Big Implications For Link Buying

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Big Richard, May 8, 2006.

I have noticed this phenomena on numerous sites and I am not sure if it is a new thing or not.

When you look at a site with webpages that have ? and & in the URL (see some examples below), I notice that every page shows the same PR as the homepage (even if it is just a single ?). However, google will index all the pages on the site as seperate pages. Is this a problem with google ? It seems that google knows that these are seperate pages, but when it comes to PR distribution it treats them all as the same page.

This has big implications for various things such as link buying / selling / exchanging as the PR shown on a page is just that of the homepage and may bear no relevance at all to the actual PR of the page. Furthermore it would seem that no PR may be passing to the sub pages at all, as it seems that when it comes to PR google just sees each subpage as the homepage with the passing of extra variables.

Here is a classic example of this phenomena

PR 7 (Homepage) - http://www.ezinearticles.com/

PR 7 ( Category Page Example ) - http://www.ezinearticles.com/?cat=Health-and-Fitness:Quit-Smoking

PR 7 (Article) - http://www.ezinearticles.com/?4-Steps-To-Quitting-Smoking&id=185701

Big Richard, May 8, 2006 IP
  2. seojunkie

seojunkie Banned

Best Answers:
    seojunkie, May 8, 2006 IP
  3. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Any url can have PR - it all depends on the number of links pointing at it.

Sometimes toolbar PR shows an inaccurate figure for instance when you are in a webmail account or on a page with a session id in the url. In this case google is guessing the PR based on the script you are accessing and it is ignoring the query parameters.

mad4, May 8, 2006 IP
  4. Big Richard

Big Richard Peon

Best Answers:
    I see PR7 for all pages on ezinearticles.com ? - What do others see??

Big Richard, May 8, 2006 IP
  5. john alphaone

john alphaone Guest

Best Answers:
    I see PR7 for all the links as quoted.

Toolbar PR is pretty much broken since the BD update when PR4 - PR6 was handed out to lots of new sites that had barely any links. That makes buying links based on PR even more of a gamble that it was previously.

john alphaone, May 8, 2006 IP
  6. seojunkie

seojunkie Banned

Best Answers:
    seojunkie, May 8, 2006 IP
  7. BrianR2

BrianR2 Guest

Best Answers:
    I have noticed this as well. I've heard that the toolbar sometimes guesses the pr such as when there is a query string. In the case of webmail having a pr or with those sites with query strings, check google's cache to see which page the pr is referring to. In webmail, often the page that is cached is the login page which is where the pr comes from.

One thing I've noticed within the past month is that checking the pr for links that have query strings using these external pr checkers across datacenters or using a php script to get the pr yields an error. It seems to only happen with pages with query strings. The toolbar still shows a pr but I'm not sure how accurate it is because if you enter the exact url into one of these checkers you won't get a result. Anyone know what's going on here?

BrianR2, May 8, 2006 IP
  8. BrianR2

BrianR2 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hmmm... My script seems to be retrieving the pr for urls with query strings now but not when there is a space or %20 in the url. Maybe it was always like that:confused: .

BrianR2, May 8, 2006 IP
  9. TangoUK

TangoUK Guest

Best Answers:
    TangoUK, May 9, 2006 IP
  10. RsL

RsL Peon

Best Answers:
    seochat.com seems to work fine for this.

RsL, Jul 23, 2006 IP