1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Patent

Discussion in 'Google' started by asing, Mar 31, 2005.

1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    What is that confidence based on? And what new algorithm?

minstrel, Apr 3, 2005 IP
  2. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    On order to be competitive in the search engine war I cannot see them ignoring the necessity to provide some better results than there are right now. Maybe it won't be major changes but some seem necessary. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Blogmaster, Apr 3, 2005 IP
  3. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That old result I mentioned also ranks prominently in Yahoo and MSN.

minstrel, Apr 3, 2005 IP
  4. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    hmmm. ... some old sites are really good. I just don't think Google will give as much preference to age in the future as they are doing now.

Blogmaster, Apr 3, 2005 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    If so, that's not good news for DMOZ. Or the Resourceless Zone. Although in the case of the RZ, I'm also surprised they've not been hit with a duplicate content filter - pretty much every thread is the same over there.

Please excuse this shamless example of crossthreading and threadjacking. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program...

minstrel, Apr 3, 2005 IP
  6. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    This sounds very interesting!

It's too bad the Patent Office's web site is undergoing some maintenance right now. :(

Will.Spencer, Apr 3, 2005 IP
  7. kepa

kepa Peon

Best Answers:
    kepa, Apr 3, 2005 IP
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Clarification:

I shouldn't post anything after 3 am :eek:

That story is more than 5 years old -- true. And I have seen it sitting in the top 10 and usually the top 5 for that search term on Google and other SEs for at least 3-4 years.

However, the story was picked up and "reprinted" by several other websites (the one in the URL supplied is NOT the newspaper that originally printed the story) and I cannot state that it has been the same web page(s) containing the story over that time period. This, with respect to the arguments about "staleness", it may be an old story but it is not necessarily old for the page currently occupying that #3 spot. For all I know, it may have been added there last week.

minstrel, Apr 3, 2005 IP
  9. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think that G are saying that staleness is *always* bad and freshness is *always* good.

I believe the point is in reference to the search terms. For some terms (e.g., habits of cave men) stale sites may be preferred and therefore would rank higher, whereas a search for 'space station inhabitants" would prefer fresher sites in rankings.

G goes on to say that for some search terms, staleness vs. freshness may not be much of a factor at all since the 'plurality of documents' within the search results seems to remain somewhat unchanged over time.

I think that means you need to know your industry and terms. If it's a hot industry, you'll need to keep up. If it's a cold industry, and if you constantly update you'll probably stand out and could be penalized at some point for doing so.

longcall911, Apr 3, 2005 IP
  10. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    I suspect that two different matters are getting conflated here.

Yes, in principle there might possibly be some queries for which older pages might be preferable to fresher ones--and indeed, the patent application does say that, and does not say that freshness must always win.

But that is in principle (and in a patent application, which makes all its terms and claims as expansive and universal as possible).

In practical reality, why would any search engine ever prefer older material to newer? Even if the topic is one with, presumably, well-settled knowledge, the betting (especially by an algorithmic machine) would always be that the newer material includes more up-to-date analysis, or data, or interpretations. Why should an article on--to use your example--cave men written in 1997 be superior, on the date alone, to one written last week, instead of vice-versa?

I truly believe that there are no pages whatever that any search engine algo is going to give positive weight to, as opposed to negative, owing to their being old, or otherwise "stale" as the patent application variously defines indicators of staleness.

(The occasional site whose pages haven't changed in three years, seven months, and twelve days but is in the top 20 will very likely be one with a spectrum of other things--probably high-count backlinks--that outweigh sheer age.)

That is not particularly bad news for, say, dmoz, since their listings should be expanding or changing regularly. More worrisome, I think, was this:

For example, if a particular document appears as a hit for a discordant set of queries, this may (though not necessarily) be considered a signal that the document is spam, in which case searchengine 125 may score the document relatively lower.
    True, they cover their ass with a "not necessarily", but one wonders exactly how that would be applied in practice. Many reference pages will at least mention a broad range of topics, the totality of which might well be considered "discordant" to a blind algo.

Well, we don't have the term "Googlery" for nothing.

Owlcroft, Apr 3, 2005 IP
  11. t2dman

t2dman Peon

Best Answers:
    The more complicated Google makes their algo, the easier it is to inadvertantly trip it up and get delisted, or ranked so low your site is dead.

I still have a site where there is a cache on someones 302 url showing my clients home page - supplimental result from Sept04 - my clients site top of Yahoo and MSN for many terms, dead as a duck on Google for every page on site.

There will be a way to sort it out, but havn't figured it out yet.

The above merely as an example. The same applies to like the "same site" issue where too many links between sites causes only one to show for common search terms.

It becomes very hard to isolate exactly why your site has disappeared, and VERy hard to get the site back

t2dman, Apr 3, 2005 IP
  12. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I think they are. Sorry for the confusion.

I do agree that in practice, fresher documents would typically be preferred. My ‘cave men’ example though is a poor one. Instead, how about a search on ‘Old Testament’ and let’s assume I were searching for a source document. I’m not at all interested in new interpretations, or new analysis. Rather, a nine year old site that contains verse-by-verse ancient writings might very well be preferred.

One could expand this thinking to cover historical documents in general, archived documents in general, original case law documents, etc. I assume these types of searches represent a relatively small percent of total searches, but they may in fact exhibit a preference for older, original documents or ‘stale’ sites.

Google says that freshness may play a role in a document’s score. Taking that statement within the context of a patent application, the rational for making the statement is clear.

Who knows if it will ever be acted upon.

longcall911, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  13. dirtdog1960theone

dirtdog1960theone Active Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent post as usual Owlcroft. The above snippet is uhm Google quote of the year. ;)

dirtdog1960theone, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  14. toddieg

toddieg Peon

Best Answers:
    here's a quick summary of the patent for all those who don't feel like reading it all :) www.tg9.net

toddieg, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  15. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    So who wants to test this by searching for their own keywords and clicking their own links?

Hey, you'll only need to do it a few thousand times to make it statistically relevant. :D

Will.Spencer, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  16. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    So... my next script should be one to bookmark my own web pages thousands upon thousands of times...

How to do this so Google will notice? How do they track this? The Google Toolbar?

17. toddieg

toddieg Peon

Best Answers:
    i would imagine this type of tracking would need to either come from the google toolbar, or from a google browser (which they are working on)

toddieg, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  18. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    This is what Google appears to be telling us to do:

Domains
    1. Register new domains as early as possible.
    2. Register your domain for as long as possible (10 years).

Web Sites
    1. Put content on the new site as soon as possible and get inbound links to that content to register an inception date.
    2. Add several pages to the new site to meet Googles "predetermined number of pages" criteria.
    3. Add new pages to the site frequently, and regularly.

Web Pages
    1. Create new pages as early as possible.
    2. Put content on the new pages as soon as possible and get inbound links to that content to register an inception date.
    3. Update the content of each page frequently, while staying in the same theme.

Linking
    1. Get more links, slowly but steadily.
    2. Get links from pages with content similar to your own.
    3. Get links from pages that are frequently and regularly updated.
    4. Get links that are stable over long periods of time.

User Behavior
    1. Use Google to search for your own keywords and click only your links.
    2. After selecting your own link, stay on the page for awhile.
    3. Make sure your site is listed in Alexa keep your Alexa score healthy.
    4. Bookmark your own pages and encourage users to bookmark them also.

19. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I was about to mention that section. It was mentioned in other white papers and patent filings. What I wonder is whether they include CTR data from AdWords campaigns landing at those pages. It might not sound fair for them to use it by why would they ignore a good source of such 'quality' indicators?

In the filing they don't distinguish between natural listings and paid results. If I were them I would use ad CTR as a measure of popularity and quality of the target site.

T0PS3O, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  20. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    They can only collect such data if you have the toolbar or use their browser. Or if they sneak code into other toolbars and browsers. Just goes to show the big brother type of world we live in.

T0PS3O, Apr 4, 2005 IP