1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

google pagerank update in progress 4.07

Discussion in 'Google' started by relaxzoolander, Apr 7, 2004.

google is updating the green-o-meter at the moment. :D

relaxzoolander, Apr 7, 2004 IP
    digitalpoint likes this.
  2. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Indeed. One of my new sites (2 - 3 weeks maybe) was PR0 yesterday, PR3 today.

For it's first PR update, I'm pretty pleased :)

GuyFromChicago, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  3. JazzyBen

JazzyBen Peon

Best Answers:
    0 to 5 in one move... nice.

JazzyBen, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Let the trolling begin! :)

Funny thing is I noticed a PR6 page this morning, that I *thought* was PR5. Guess I should pay more attention.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  5. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I know a Guy who has written a great keyword, link count and PR tracker. If you are interested I'll send you the URL :D

compar, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  6. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    BTW Several of my sites have made big moves. I had one site go from PR5 to PR6 and from 82 reported backlinks to 773.

compar, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  7. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    Good for you compar - it's always nice when things go the right way. 82 to 773...that's without a doubt the right way.

Sometimes PR updates remind me of surgery - just knock me out and wake me up when it's over...all the watching (up, down, more, less) drives me insane :D

8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I was a little nervous about it since this is the first time an update is happening with the PageRank tracking. But seems to be fine. :)

- Shawn

9. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I ran it and it only found half of the sites that have seen increases. I assume it must be using a different server. Then I tried it again and ran over my API limit for the day. Damn!

Anybody got a spare API I can borrow for the evening?

compar, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  10. relaxzoolander

relaxzoolander Peon

Best Answers:
    yes...the teenie weenie green bar can play tricks on your eyes.
    especially when you mind is yearning for the higher number.
    5 or 6?.....oh i think its a 6....did i just see a 6?......that had to be a 6...i will get out my pixel-o-meter and measure it to make sure....lets see....32 green pixels....27 white pixels.....hmmmmm...... :eek:

relaxzoolander, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  11. tsptom

tsptom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is there a thread somewhere explaining backlinks and how to establish them?

Thanks!

tsptom, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  12. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure how basic an explanation you want, but here goes.

1. A backlink is what Google calls a link from another web site to your web site. The other more generic name is inbound links, sometimes abbreviated as IBL.

2. For reporting purposed Google only reports back links with a PR -- PageRank -- value of 4 or more. You can download the Google toolbar to get all this information or you can search in Google with this search to get the number of backlinks Google reports. 'link:www.yourdomain.com'

3. The most common way to get backlink to your site is to agree to exchange links with another site or webmaster. In other words you put a link on your web page that points at my site and I do the same with one pointing to your site. This is known as reciprocal linking.

4. I mention PageRank or PR above. This is a mathematical calculation Google does for each page that has any backlinks point to it. Essentially if I have a PR5 rating on my page, and have a link to you, you get some mathematical value, which is in simplest terms my PR5 divided by the total number of outbound links from my page.

5. The other issue with backlinks, and one that most of us now believe is more important than PR, is what Google judges the relevance of the link to be. As far as we know Google uses the anchor text that is used with the link to judge relevance. So you always want your most important keywords to be used as the anchor text with any backlink.

6. Anchor text is the actual highlighted underlined text that can be clicked on. In the old days this was normally "click here", but today that is considered a complete waste of the backlink, as it doesn't tell Google anything about what the link is about, or relevant to.

That's backlinks in a 1000 words or less. I hope that helps.

compar, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  13. tsptom

tsptom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That was great, thanks! So how did you get your reported backlinks up so quickly? Through reciprocal linking with other sites? Do you just email webmasters and ask if they want to exchange links?

Thanks again.

tsptom, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  14. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, some definite movement today - so far, mostly upward (although not a lot) for me, so I can't complain.

Back links are kinda interesting - if you want to see a "machine", put Shawn's website URL (I assume Shawn doesn't mind) in the tracker - he rocks! ;-)

alek

P.S. Shawn: Something seems a bit amiss with the historical info on the back link tracking - I'm only see data going back to yesterday, but I've had it up for longer than that - maybe I'm doing something stupid, but just a heads-up in case a burp in the system.

hulkster, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  15. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    This same site is reporting 19 new backlinks so far too. Nice!

16. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well there are some professional secrets involved. But it is a site that I have been hired to do SEO work for.

The one thing I will tell you is that internal links also count in the backlink total, and one of the things I did was improve their onsite navigation and linking structure, so a lot of those new links are form their own site. It is a fairly large site, about 900 pages.

As soon as you get the navigation working and right the site can generate a lot of it's own PR.

compar, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  17. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Have you been tracking it more than one day?

- Shawn

18. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty certain I put your URL in at least several days ago - shortly after you announced the PR feature. A number of the other URL's have been there for quite some time - my login name is "alek" if you want to look yourself (as administrator, I assume you don't need the password. I also have a daily wget that looks like this:
    wget 'http://alek:pASSWORD@www.digitalpoint.com/tools/keywords/?action=lookupall'

I assumed that also did the back links/PR stuff too (similar to Check All, which I hit infrequently), so maybe I'm yet-another-dummy who can't read the FAQ, although it seems to imply this should work as I think it does(?)

I.e. most of the URL's on the keyword page have been around for a while and there is lots of data when you hit the chart button (and downward arrow) ... whereas it is really scarce on the backlink stuff.

alek

hulkster, Apr 7, 2004 IP
  19. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Okay, took a peek... now I know what you are talking about. It's normal... the date of the most recent back link data record rolls forward until back links change. Otherwise the most recent date would always be the last back link update change date. So the data from today will keep rolling forward until it changes again.

- Shawn

20. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    I'm seeing backlinks increase all over which is in line with everybody else but I am seeing some discrepancies as well with some links that I would only attribute to one domain deing"carried over" into others

eg the back links from here.....yes!!!! here!!! which should go back to the one address seem to be being linked back to wherever I have the inward links :confused:

EDIT:

I've just realised why those backlinks show up - I changed my signature to include them!!!! :eek:

Foxy, Apr 7, 2004 IP