1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google over optimisation penatly = Competitor opportunity to kill your site?

Discussion in 'Google' started by gordano, May 2, 2012.

With all the talk about spam backlinks causing a website to drop down serps, could this be an opportunity for competitors to kill off other sites?

All competitors would need to do is pay someone to create spam backlinks to a site they want to attack?

How would google prevent this happening? Surely it would undermine google search results even more?

Any thoughts?

gordano, May 2, 2012 IP
  2. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My thoughts.....Hmm, you gave me a good idea. lol

Laceygirl, May 2, 2012 IP
  3. pupul

pupul Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You are right. Google can't stop it.

pupul, May 2, 2012 IP
  4. Shane1

Shane1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    In theory, negative SEO should work. The sad fact is that it is easier and cheaper to eliminate your competition than to build up yourself, so if this works, it's the way of the future for SEO.

Disregarding the lack of overoptimization on sites that are either unrelated to the search term or just completely blank, the sites that seemed to gain the most from Penguin are sites that don't care about SEO. These fall into two categories: small sites with no backlinks because nobody (including the webmaster) felt the site was worth linking to, and multi-m(b)illion dollar corporations that consistently get backlinks because everybody knows their name already (Youtube, Blogspot, Amazon, .gov, .edu, etc.). You might not be able to stop anyone from buying text links from Matt Cutts, but you can probably eliminate the 1999 Tripod article about dog confidence training.

Shane1, May 2, 2012 IP
  5. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I wonder.

Now technically If I'm say 7th it would be easier to screw over the other sites on top than to try to work out mine.....Hmm, I'm going to try it.

Laceygirl, May 2, 2012 IP
  6. Grimm

Grimm Peon

Best Answers:
    I think I saw a video of Matt Cutts about this and he said that it would really pay for Webmasters to give more attention to Google Webmaster tools since you'll be notified about these things if Google hints that you're getting loads of negative links pointing to your website. He also mentioned that you can do something preemptive by sending an email to their webspam team (through GWT) claiming that you're not affiliated with the negative links pointing to your website and that Google can ignore them completely.

In theory, Google simply ignores negative links since they wouldn't want competitors killing each other with building negative links to each other. Nobody wants a web full of crap, right?

Grimm, May 2, 2012 IP
  7. soniqhost.com

soniqhost.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Because of that I think they just ignore the webspam type of links, unless their is an issue with the site itself like it installs malware on users computers

soniqhost.com, May 2, 2012 IP
    Grimm likes this.
  8. ramses3

ramses3 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think penalization is on the plate, but for sure can be a waste of time and efforts

ramses3, May 2, 2012 IP
  9. aira

aira Active Member

Best Answers:
    scary thought but it's possible that some will use the opportunity to attack their competitors with it, but I hope Google has foreseen this possibility so they could detect such unnatural activities

aira, May 3, 2012 IP
  10. Jagerr

Jagerr Peon

Best Answers:
    The honest truth is that competitors can usually crash another site if they want to. Easy things like click bombing or pinging get a site taken off Google, if not worse. It seems to be fairly rare though, so I suspect Google catches on quite easily.

Hopefully that'll be the case with spam backlinks as well.

Jagerr, Aug 10, 2012 IP