1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Operating System

Discussion in 'Google' started by Bender, Oct 26, 2006.

?

Do you think Google will ever release a Disk Operating System?

Poll closed Nov 25, 2006.
  1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    39.0%
  1. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    Like I said before, it might not be the most amazing thing on the internet but it does represent a first step. Basically it can be done.

The GoogOs I was thinking bout was more for home users and not for big corporations. Nevertheless what you said about data storage is definitely not true, Amazon’s Simple Storage Service provides online storage and from what I’ve been reading many businesses are starting to use it. One again this is only the first step.

Google is growing at an enormous rate, it currently has USD 10 billion that it must spend so I do think it could be used to research a new OS. They are thinking of charging for these services because they know people will pay.

The first problem I doubt it will be that hard to resolve. As for the second point, I think the new OS is merely intended for internet activity (surf web, email, write docs, downloads, digital media). If you think about it most people only use their PC to go online.

Emperor, Nov 3, 2006 IP
  2. William Martin

William Martin Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd have serious concerns about using a Google O.S - there privacy and security already feels a trifle dodgy, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with Google having index access to all my system.

Having said that - there is nothing to say Microsoft doesn't have this either.

William Martin, Nov 3, 2006 IP
  3. saneinsight

saneinsight Guest

Best Answers:
    Emporer, what planet do you come from? "Nevertheless what you said about data storage is definitely not true" Show me one financial institution that has chosen Amazon Simple Storage over a secure data center to store their sensitive customer info. Do you have any idea as to how big investment and commercial banks are?

Next, you doubt that google won't be able to convince manufacturers to ship with a google OS instead of MS? You've already answered my question when you said that even Linux couldn't pull it off!! duh!

and you say:
    "I think the new OS is merely intended for internet activity (surf web, email, write docs, downloads, digital media)."

how is that different from what we already have today?? Why the hell would google want to waste time and money on re-inventing the wheel? As you said yourself even Linux didn't pull it off.

saneinsight, Nov 3, 2006 IP
  4. Bender

Bender Peon

Best Answers:
    The poll results show that now only %62 of people think that Google will release an OS. It is slightly lower than the last time I checked (60 voters) and I'm not sure if this change is significant but, I wonder if the ongoing discussion on this thread is affecting the voters.

I hope even more people will vote, it's going to interesting to see the results when 100 people (hopefully) will submit their votes.

Thank you everybody for your contributions!

-Bender-

Bender, Nov 3, 2006 IP
  5. dotcompals

dotcompals Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Friends, average PC user needs an OS only to surf the web, email, write docs, downloads, digital media etc.

Nobody here want the banks & financial institutions to use Google's OS (or any web based OS)..

But if there is an online OS, lot of people can use it, who did not need PHOTOSHOP like application, instead he needs only just seuf the web and send emails, organise his digital photos etc.

IMO 60% of todays PC users comes under this category..

what u peope say..

dotcompals, Nov 3, 2006 IP
  6. eko

eko Peon

Best Answers:
    Even if they do release one I won't use it.

eko, Nov 3, 2006 IP
  7. saneinsight

saneinsight Guest

Best Answers:
    ditto eko.

You guys knock yourselves out, i'm past the point of concern trying to explain the fundamentals to you.

saneinsight, Nov 3, 2006 IP
  8. Bender

Bender Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe that your posts had an impact on the poll results... LOOK! It's %60 to %40 now! Perhaps it will even get to 50/50 :)

Bender, Nov 3, 2006 IP
  9. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    I don’t know why you keep on talking about financial institutions when that’s really not the point. Forget about them, what Google is interested in is the home user.

I’m sorry but you don’t seem to have any facts to back your theories. I’ve answered your questions and also shown real life examples of how this online OS is possible. You can always dismiss these facts just because they are in their early stages of development but this will change in a few years.

Emperor, Nov 3, 2006 IP
  10. dotcompals

dotcompals Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Emperor I agree with you. Let us wait and see.

dotcompals, Nov 3, 2006 IP
  11. smrtime

smrtime Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldnt doubt they will have an operating system sometime in the future. Im surprised they haven't introduced one yet.

smrtime, Nov 4, 2006 IP
  12. Benjamin Scott

Benjamin Scott Active Member

Best Answers:
    Benjamin Scott, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  13. story97

story97 Peon

Best Answers:
    So you think it would be a good time to release an untested, first revision of a new operating system because Vista isn't working perfectly?

story97, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  14. FastWeb

FastWeb Peon

Best Answers:
    FastWeb, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  15. latino_heat

latino_heat Guest

Best Answers:
    can release any time

google wants to be a leader and it will take this step

latino_heat, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  16. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    Is this really what you want to say

need moneybookers pay you thriugh paypal
    Code (markup):

Emperor, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  17. Benjamin Scott

Benjamin Scott Active Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't really dig for this thread. I just ran into it some how making a search in Google. I noticed that the thread started in 2006 before Vista had even launched. I thought it would be a good idea to bring this thread back to life now that Vista has been released and see how people still feel about Google releasing an Operating System. I really do hope that they come out with something.

I'm happy with almost anything they come out with as a user. Google may not always do what webmasters want but they almost always satisfy their users with anything they do.

Benjamin Scott, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  18. Volvospeed

Volvospeed Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its hard to have feelings about something thats vaporware. Anyone who says they would or would not use it at this point is a mindless slave to dogma. What if it's more stable than AIX, easier than Mac, with more games than windows? Are you really going to be stubborn and not use it? Too all the people who said they would use it, what if its like another windows M.E.? And yes I know ME was not an operating system. As for market shares, MS has a very small grip on the business market. I manage over 25 servers and 100+ client machines. Of the servers 1 runs windows. Its a phone server of all things. The rest run mostly AIX or Slackware. For the clients most are Irix, or an enterprise solution. MS has the grip on the market because of OEM software. End users will use what th machine comes with. I could put the crappiest compile of linux on a machine and most users would probably keep it. Can you really see little Timmys aunt buying a fresh copy of Vista, F-disking the physicals, repartitioning, and installing a new OS and compiling drivers? Several business machines have Linux options now. More and more people are opting for it. Remember as OS's go windows is fairly new. They can be knocked off the alter just as fast as they climbed onto it. Anyone use hotbot lately?

Volvospeed, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  19. suman817

suman817 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually Google Operating System is a Browser! That is, Google Chrome. It’s not a system software but an application software :D.

suman817, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  20. FoxIX

FoxIX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm confused as to why google are talking about this OS (or X server), but they still haven't even managed to get Chrome out on linux yet. Is this them trying to quash linux or just that they're taking too much on?

FoxIX, Jul 11, 2009 IP