1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Operating System

Discussion in 'Google' started by Bender, Oct 26, 2006.

?

Do you think Google will ever release a Disk Operating System?

Poll closed Nov 25, 2006.
  1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    39.0%
  1. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    Do you remember where you got this information from? I would be interested in reading it.

Emperor, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  2. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A leak - There are articles on the web about it as well. It was a leak from Google which is highly reliable. There is a slight chance it could be wrong but hardly I think. That is about all I can say. I used to know a guy who worked at Google but lost contact with him.... This information was recieved through a friend who knows a girl that works at Google.

Google has also contact large retailers such as Wal Mart to do a deal in selling a Google PC running a Google OS: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=13158

Here is a image of it:
    [​IMG]

It is almost 100% certain now that a few different retailers are leaking that Google contacted them for a deal in selling their pcs. I also heard(not as reliable) that Dell was contact and asked if they would install a Google OS on their computers. This one is kinda shaky so I am not sure I would trust it. But the rest seem reliable.

visio, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  3. Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003 Peon

Best Answers:

Wow, if that's googOS that looks AWFUL!
    If that's what it is, i'll never buy it. I wouldn't install it if I got it free! That's just my opinion.
    Thanks for the info (assuming it really is reliable :D)

Dominicc2003, Oct 29, 2006 IP
    dotcompals likes this.
  4. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is just a small version probably. I think it will look alot more like a unix/linux system than a windows but I am also pretty sure it will look alot better when it is done as well. Right now it looks appley :p

visio, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  5. Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003 Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, that article is from more than half a year ago... :(

Dominicc2003, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  6. Jasonb

Jasonb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    google are doing alot more with software these days, releaseing allsorts of stuff, i think it wont be too long before google are the rubbing the internet :) Nad out PC's

Jasonb, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  7. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah they have had alot of time to work on it :D

visio, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  8. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    I have a feeling that it won’t look anything like that image. Why would google recycle its icons to use them on a its new OS “toolbar and local icon”. Think about it.

Emperor, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  9. Bender

Bender Peon

Best Answers:
    Poll results so far are quite interesting. 60 people voted. 65.00% believe that Google will release an OS at some point. Before starting this poll I was thinking that most people (80-90%) will say Yes. Most people who posted here are in favor of this idea. However, I would also very much like to hear from those who think that Google will not release an operating system and the reasons why they thinks so.

Thanks,

-Bender-

Bender, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  10. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. I think they just threw it up there and don't intend to release photos of the real one yet - My personal opinion.

visio, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  11. check

check Guest

Best Answers:
    not a disk operating system. Maybe a web one

check, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  12. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nope it will be a disk one.

visio, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  13. Bender

Bender Peon

Best Answers:
    The screenshots are indeed horrible...Reminds me Win 3.1....:D

Bender, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  14. dotcompals

dotcompals Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    All big things start as a small one.

dotcompals, Nov 2, 2006 IP
  15. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. As bender said think back to windows beginnings. How far have they actually came? I think it is time for a reliable operating system like linux only compatible with everything windows is.

visio, Nov 2, 2006 IP
    dotcompals likes this.
  16. saneinsight

saneinsight Guest

Best Answers:
    Check... there is no such thing as a web operating system. It exists entirely in your head. Yes I know, before dotcompals chimes in with 'things change over time' your comments just show that you don't even have the slightest grasp on I.T, system software and the internet (network, hardware, protocols etc.)

Visio, what exactly does a Unix OS look like? as you said 'look alot more like a unix/linux system than a windows' You talking about KDE? Gnome? Thats a GUI, it's not an OS. If you want to learn more about operating systems and GUI that run on top of them, check out the apple site here... www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/

Seriously guys, i'm worried about how much time you spend on here, rabbiting on about idea's in your head that don't even resemble reality. Remember, monkeys might fly out my butt.

saneinsight, Nov 2, 2006 IP
  17. MrPoloShirt

MrPoloShirt Peon

Best Answers:
    I want to believe they will release one, but Google takes SOOO long to release anything.

They seem to be constantly hiring new talent left and right and the best they can come out with is Gmail? Yeah it's great, but is that all you guys got?

Google doesn't get much done. I really hope they have some revolutionary things in the making besides the simple tools they've already come out with.

A Google OS, if ever released, will probably not be out until 2012 - 2015.

MrPoloShirt, Nov 2, 2006 IP
  18. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    If Google releases and operating system it will just be another Linux or BSD clone.

People I know who have interviewed with Google are not getting the impression the company has been or is trying to write a brand new operating system from scratch.

Google's emphasis seems to be on how to overcome corporate resistance to its products and how to develop products which would help them better breach that market.

clancey, Nov 2, 2006 IP
    Bender likes this.
  19. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:

Ok so I don’t know what YouOs is then, maybe you can explain because on their site it says WEB OPERATING SYSTEM. I know perfectly well that it’s still very limited but some one like Google has the money and knowledge to make something like this work. I’ve been using Linux for about 8 years now and know perfectly well what to expect from that Os. Remember Novell (SUSE), IBM (RED HAT), Sun (Solaris) and the list goes on. They all invested in Linux and look where it got them.

Emperor, Nov 2, 2006 IP
  20. saneinsight

saneinsight Guest

Best Answers:
    It's not an OS! They can call it what they want but all it is is a web-based service. I'm surpised someone with years of Linux experience can't spot an OS from a web-based service. Explain to me how running such a resource intensive app like Photoshop will ever come close to performing as well as an installed version on a local machine, particularily when you factor in the delay the internet will add to every function. Security would become a complete nightmare. Do you think that investment and commercial banks (any financial services) all over the world would be happy to store their system data on a google server and just hope that it's safe?? Banks i've worked in don't even allow you to leave you pc unlocked, even if you're simply answering natures call. It will never happen. You have a PC and want to write to a simple local text file. Oh thats right, I don't have an internet connection, so I can't use my PC. clever!

Does google really have the money? I thought they were considering charging for SERVICES like Gmail and Docs because their hosting is costing them a fortune. Like I said in a previous post. There are two important factors that will make or break this idea if it were to ever get even remotely close to becoming a reality. 1) Convincing PC manufacturers to ship with a new configuration. 2) Developers jumping on the band wagon and porting their apps over. Without that, google don't stand a cat in hell's chance.

saneinsight, Nov 3, 2006 IP