1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Operating System

Discussion in 'Google' started by Bender, Oct 26, 2006.

?

Do you think Google will ever release a Disk Operating System?

Poll closed Nov 25, 2006.
  1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    39.0%
  1. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    tbarr60, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  2. Computer(Jew)

Computer(Jew) Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As a person that uses different *nix flavors at work (bsd , Irix , solaris , MVS and some Linux distros including ubuntumdepends on what server and how old it is) I can honestly tell you that this isn't something you want on your PC , in terms of usability . It's the early 90's at best , compared to WinXP .
    I will not be installing Vista for as long as I can since I am happy with the XP I have at home though .
    A user should not know what a port is , what a firewall does , and sure as hell not understand what are drivers . PC = Microwave . I don't fully understand how a microwave works(in terms of physics) , but I am warming up a pizza . I want this kind of PC for my parents .
    Linux is a decade behind in terms of usability (even though most driver issues are not the fault of the developers , but nobody cares about excuses).

Computer(Jew), Oct 27, 2006 IP
  3. 2AO

2AO Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't be surprised if they developed (or are already developing) their own Google version of Linux.

2AO, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  4. Bender

Bender Peon

Best Answers:
    No, but, a friend of mine was using it, and I think you are right - there were several annoying(!) problems..I'm starting to remember now...:)

Yes, definitely! I couldn't agree more. Just like most of the internet users shouldn't care what HTML or say..PHP is. They just want an easy and functioning website.

Bender, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  5. saneinsight

saneinsight Guest

Best Answers:
    If google did release a new OS, all Unix/Linux apps would need to be ported across so developers can in effect make or break it's success. When PC users right now can install Linux for free, I can't see how google would be able to improve on that. Plus most PC sales in the UK include Windows or Linux pre-installed, I think it will take Google years to grab even a small portion of the market.

saneinsight, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  6. Robert Allen

Robert Allen Peon

Best Answers:
    Google shouldnt create an OS. It should back ubuntu.

Rob

Robert Allen, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  7. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    How will they make money without ads? Its really easy to answer...

Incorporate many features in the OS that launch a browser to googles site and then there are the ads ;)

This would increase peopls use of example, google maps, google videos, whatever else... instead of going to mapquest say a user will click start and then click on maps and go to googles site auto :x

Seiya, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  8. helpmehelpyou

helpmehelpyou Guest

Best Answers:
    It is possible but Microsoft Windows will still be on top unless Google does something very unique that something Microsoft didn't think of.

helpmehelpyou, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  9. dotcompals

dotcompals Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    May be it is like this.

Search Engine --> Email --> Portal ---> Notebook ---> Spreadsheet ---> Document ---> Presentation ---> ??? ----> ??? -----> ???? at last OS.

An OS that can be booted online. Means u need a PC and a Net connection.. that;s all . OS, and all other softwares are online and can be used for free.

dotcompals, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  10. saneinsight

saneinsight Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah and monkeys might fly out my butt!!

Without an OS you won't be able to boot your pc. how will you open a net connection if you don't have the right drivers installed for the adsl/modem you are trying to use? How can you install drivers without an OS controlling your disk drives? That is afterall, why you need an OS. All other softwares online?? So everyone needs an internet connection even if they just want to write a text file on their pc?

In MHO excel is the only decent piece of software microsoft have ever created, so I'll give you that.

saneinsight, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  11. Bender

Bender Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah...how do you boot a comp. and connect to internet without an OS...?

Bender, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  12. dotcompals

Best Answers:
    You remember some years ago Bill Gates said. “640K ought to be enough for anybody.”

Now what is the situation... Like that all these can change over the time.. One day you can be operate a PC without the things u mentioned.,.,

dotcompals, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  13. Computer(Jew)

Computer(Jew) Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It was an Idea in the mid 90's (backed by Oracle If I am not mistaken0 , the NC (network computer) . Everyone hated the idea , and it went away . Thank agod .

Computer(Jew), Oct 28, 2006 IP
  14. Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003 Peon

Best Answers:
    If they were named "Go! OS", they would probably be sued by Yahoo! :(

Dominicc2003, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  15. saneinsight

saneinsight Guest

Best Answers:
    Seriously dude, you have no idea what you are talking about. 'Those things' as you so elegantly put it, are system components integral to every system in use and need an OS to function. no matter what apps become available to use via http (and something like Photoshop being so hardware hungry would never work over the web, nevermind http aka a joke), you are always going to need an OS on the client, to manage local memory, disk swapping and oh thats right, in your future world these will all be sitting on a google system, and we'll be using dumb terminals. yeah right, and monkeys will fly out of my butt!!

saneinsight, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  16. dotcompals

Best Answers:
    May be I'm ignorant or I AM ignorant.. but who knows..............

GOOD for those monkeys... LOL..

dotcompals, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  17. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    After I saw this thread I got thinking about the Google OS thing and tried to glue a few ideas together to see if I could come up with a plausible theory. You can read my posts about the new Goog Os here.

Emperor, Oct 28, 2006 IP
    dotcompals likes this.
  18. imnajam

imnajam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't expect "OS" from google. I think they wont come into this os vendors catagory.

imnajam, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  19. Smaaz

Smaaz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think they won't, or at least not in the next couple of years.

Smaaz, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  20. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They already have one - whether it is in finishing stages, completed or just started I am not sure. What I heard is they don't plan to release it that soon however. However I do know for a fact they started one. It will be great when it comes out.

visio, Oct 29, 2006 IP